Scunthorpe (H)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won’t be able to make this game - just wouldn’t trust myself to drive the day after the night before...

So... although it does mean I will be putting a few quid ALMO’s way, I will be watching on iFollow. 

Also - given Dino’s injury update:

"They kept going and I've got sore bodies there. Zak Mills played on with a dislocated shoulder again, David Wheater with a sore hip, Chris McCann is carrying a hamstring injury, I've got Maouche who was fantastic today playing with a hamstring, Sylla kept going for ever. You can't fault that, you can't take that away from them.

"Also, Desire shouldn't be playing, he had a sore ankle from Morecambe and was adamant to put the shirt on and play and scored a fantastic goal along with running his heart out.’

- we might struggle to put out a team 🤔

11 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

In those post match comments Dino appears to be suffering from the same concussion as Egert but at least he's right about Azankpo..

Azankpo was one of the best players against Salford. Neat touches, held the ball up well, great finish for his goal, never stopped running. Him and maouche were brilliant. Just a shame that when dino said we pushed players forward, he was lying! Because the amount of times maouche and Azankpo got the ball and kept it but then had noone around them was ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Gary Harkins was a professional footballer in a pub player's body.

One of my favourite players of the last decade

I always imagined Gary Harkins spent half time with a can of tennants super and a mayfair cigarette before going out and scoring the winning goal.

37 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Azankpo was one of the best players against Salford. Neat touches, held the ball up well, great finish for his goal, never stopped running. Him and maouche were brilliant. Just a shame that when dino said we pushed players forward, he was lying! Because the amount of times maouche and Azankpo got the ball and kept it but then had noone around them was ridiculous 

You are correct that when we lose the ball players around them switch off, they need to more alert of what is going on around them and cover any mistakes quickly.

A prime example was when Maouche did some great work around the opposition penalty area, but in the end lost the ball leading to a Salford goal.

If colleagues had been more aware that goal wouldnt have happened.

53 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

“brilliant”

Azankpo does a good job of chasing after the ball. That’s about it. Look at how many times McCann is looking to slip it through to a striker, and how many times someone is actually making an intelligent run. 

Maouche turns this way and that and does the odd tidy pass. But more often than not turns in to trouble. 

They’re shit. Virtually the whole squad is shit. Except McCann, Mills and Smith (although he had a bad game). Wheater shouldn’t be shit but seems to be for some reason. 

Fair play for keeping a positive outlook but in my opinion I can’t see past us needing about 3 or 4 new players at least, and a new manager (he sells himself well but I’m not buying it) before we can think about getting promoted. 

McCann is not beyond criticism, he didn't to close down well enough for the 2nd Salford goal. He is probably the best passer of the ball we have though.

The big problem is the team loses its shape too easily, particularly on the flanks.

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

To me Azankpo has thoroughly deserved his 2 goals from last couple of games, he just never stops working for the team.. Hope hes fit tomorrow he would be a loss  

2 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

To me Azankpo has thoroughly deserved his 2 goals from last couple of games, he just never stops working for the team.. Hope hes fit tomorrow he would be a loss  

He did ok, far better than Wilson who has been a huge disappointment.

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Azankpo ... and maouche were brilliant. 

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They’re shit. Virtually the whole squad is shit. 

Opinions huh?

The reality is somewhere in-between. We have a couple of decent players, a few okay players and a large number who are not good enough. We have some young kids on the fringe of the team who could make a difference but they will need time and need to be surrounded by good older, more experienced players in order to breakthrough.

There are a things about our defensive approach that leave us exposed:

One aspect of our play at the back is how many times we go narrow leaving one or more opposition forwards unmarked in wide positions. Too many goals conceded when we do.

Another is the way we back off when players run at us, even when we have two players on the forward. 

As for our attacking play - too often our shots are either poorly struck (no power or placement) or poorly judged. 

For what it’s worth I did think that Segbe played well on Sunday. Our mercurial No. 10 was also much improved but still frustrating at times - some of his touches were sublime but he still tends to dwell on the ball too much. Maybe that’s down to not having options but definitely an area that he should improve.

Scunthorpe will be difficult. 

49 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

You clapped them off, didn't you Frankie.

44 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There are a things about our defensive approach that leave us exposed:

One aspect of our play at the back is how many times we go narrow leaving one or more opposition forwards unmarked in wide positions. Too many goals conceded when we do.

Another is the way we back off when players run at us, even when we have two players on the forward. 

Another is playing our right back on the left at kick off leaving our right wing wide open to score from like on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Another is playing our right back on the left at kick off leaving the right wing wide open to score from like on Sunday.

Maybe the only other option was to play Smith-Brown at LB, but the general opinion on here is that he's crap. I can't think what other choices there were.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

He did ok, far better than Wilson who has been a huge disappointment.

I agree.. he looks lost, whether thats due to him mainly playing on his own up front i dont know   but it wouldnt bother me if he was sold.. yes i have impressed with Segbe, 2 goals in 2 game certainly right place at the right time  and thats all you can ask of your forward 

14 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Maybe the only other option was to play Smith-Brown at LB, but the general opinion on here is that he's crap. I can't think what other choices there were.

The problem was the kick-off routine when the ball is lamped up the left hand side for Hamer to challenge in the air leaving the right side open to a counter attack.

Think we may be better to reverting to boot it into touch and defend the throw in.. 

Archived