MATCH: Exeter (a)

Just about recovered from last week, me. Had to stay away from the board as Latics fans gloating over a Latics loss hurts, however understandable it may be.

The positivity boat is just about afloat, but I've had a wander about and I think there's only me on board. Decided I don't actually like being alone. Well, not always!!

ALMOBO are such cunts for what they've done to us and I was as close as one can come to abandoning the manager after what he couldn't see with Garrity last week. Was an absolute disgrace that and 100% cost us the match. Never one for scapegoating but all of us watching could see that coming. First 30 mins were good as a team but 30 mins gets ya fuckall.

Don't want to see him start for us until he comes of the bench and plays well ten times, highly unlikely I know. I'm a very forgiving person, but even thinking about it flashes angrily in the forward right of my pre frontal cortex.

Im still fine w Pidge not in the team, Jameson's composure and tendency to pass gives me hope, Clarke I just like all round.

Very, very tough match this, they 'typical Latics'd us last week, so they better do it again this week bc we really need it. No point trying to guess the eleven and I'm not gona put my team up bc I always forget somebody!!!

COME. ON. OLDHAM.

💙💙💙💙💙💙

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd usually have watched Exeter a few times before we play them.  Instead I've had the joy of watching us play all season on iFollow 🙄 so had to rely on my brother's opinion for a lot of this.

They've been playing a 4-4-1-1 pretty consistently this season and I can't see that changing on Saturday.  Nicky Law is their usual threat, but he hasn't been a regular this season and they're still doing well without him.  That's mainly due to their strong academy coming to the fore.  Josh Key, Jack Sparkes, Archie Collins, Joel Randall and Matt Jay have been regular starters and there are a lot more who regularly make the bench. 

Some of their experienced players have been ill or injured, but some have simply been kept out of the team on merit.  Collins, Sparkes and Jay have been involved for a few seasons now, Randall broke into the 1st team this season and, despite only being "alright" according to my brother, he's got 5 goals from the left wing already.  The player who he's been really impressed with is Josh Key, who plays right back or right wing and has already established himself as one of their strongest players in their starting XI.

Luckily for us, Key and centre back Tom Parkes are unlikely to play on Saturday due to injury, but their replacements are Jake Caprice and Rory McArdle.  Not bad experienced players to have in reserve.  Some teams will have better players in their first XI, but Exeter's squad depth will keep them up at the top of the league in my opinion.

It's hard to predict what team we're going to put out.  They're consistent rather than being exceptional and our best team, played the right way, could do some damage to them.  But if we don't and get the formation wrong (and I don't have faith in Kewell getting it right) we could get smashed in a similar way to last time.

The one thing I'd disagree with Monty on is that Pidge has to play.  Not at the expense of Clarke or Jameson but alongside them.  Our defence needs as much protection as it can get, last week's team will get punished a lot more than it did against Scunthorpe and Clarke and Jameson don't have the nous to handle Bowman that Pidge has imo.

CBJ on the left side is fine by me, the right side is much more debatable.  Fage is probably the least worst option, but if Diarra has pace then I'd be happy to see him given a chance there.  Just please not Hamer.  He's been a liability this season and we'll get destroyed down his flank if he plays.  Regardless of who plays on the flanks, a back three is needed to cover our wing backs as their main threat will be from the flanks.  If we play a back four we'll get smashed.

The only central midfielder I'd be certain of starting would be Ntambwe.  With him sitting in front of the back three we'd have a chance of nullifying Jay and protecting our feeble defence.  I like the way Garrity breaks into the box but alongside Ntambwe last week I didn't feel confident that either of them could take care of the ball.  So it's a toss up between McCalmont and Whelan for who gets the nod.  Exeter have got ball players in the middle rather than big lumps (unless Atangana plays), so there's a lower chance of our lightweight players being exposed.

Up front, assuming that McAleny and Dearnley aren't available, Rowe and Bahamboula have to start.  The final place is a toss up between Grant and DKD.  I'd probably pick Grant but DKD's energy and running might negate his inability to pass the ball and be a nuisance to their defence.  Grant's the better player but plays at such a slow tempo that he can be anonymous at times.  One thing's for sure, if Blackwood starts after last week then Kewell can fuck right off.

So after that, my lineup would be:

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

Grant

TLDR:  We can win if Kewell gets it bang on, if not (which I'm afraid is likely) we could easily get a drubbing.

28 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd usually have watched Exeter a few times before we play them.  Instead I've had the joy of watching us play all season on iFollow 🙄 so had to rely on my brother's opinion for a lot of this.

They've been playing a 4-4-1-1 pretty consistently this season and I can't see that changing on Saturday.  Nicky Law is their usual threat, but he hasn't been a regular this season and they're still doing well without him.  That's mainly due to their strong academy coming to the fore.  Josh Key, Jack Sparkes, Archie Collins, Joel Randall and Matt Jay have been regular starters and there are a lot more who regularly make the bench. 

Some of their experienced players have been ill or injured, but some have simply been kept out of the team on merit.  Collins, Sparkes and Jay have been involved for a few seasons now, Randall broke into the 1st team this season and, despite only being "alright" according to my brother, he's got 5 goals from the left wing already.  The player who he's been really impressed with is Josh Key, who plays right back or right wing and has already established himself as one of their strongest players in their starting XI.

Luckily for us, Key and centre back Tom Parkes are unlikely to play on Saturday due to injury, but their replacements are Jake Caprice and Rory McArdle.  Not bad experienced players to have in reserve.  Some teams will have better players in their first XI, but Exeter's squad depth will keep them up at the top of the league in my opinion.

It's hard to predict what team we're going to put out.  They're consistent rather than being exceptional and our best team, played the right way, could do some damage to them.  But if we don't and get the formation wrong (and I don't have faith in Kewell getting it right) we could get smashed in a similar way to last time.

The one thing I'd disagree with Monty on is that Pidge has to play.  Not at the expense of Clarke or Jameson but alongside them.  Our defence needs as much protection as it can get, last week's team will get punished a lot more than it did against Scunthorpe and Clarke and Jameson don't have the nous to handle Bowman that Pidge has imo.

CBJ on the left side is fine by me, the right side is much more debatable.  Fage is probably the least worst option, but if Diarra has pace then I'd be happy to see him given a chance there.  Just please not Hamer.  He's been a liability this season and we'll get destroyed down his flank if he plays.  Regardless of who plays on the flanks, a back three is needed to cover our wing backs as their main threat will be from the flanks.  If we play a back four we'll get smashed.

The only central midfielder I'd be certain of starting would be Ntambwe.  With him sitting in front of the back three we'd have a chance of nullifying Jay and protecting our feeble defence.  I like the way Garrity breaks into the box but alongside Ntambwe last week I didn't feel confident that either of them could take care of the ball.  So it's a toss up between McCalmont and Whelan for who gets the nod.  Exeter have got ball players in the middle rather than big lumps (unless Atangana plays), so there's a lower chance of our lightweight players being exposed.

Up front, assuming that McAleny and Dearnley aren't available, Rowe and Bahamboula have to start.  The final place is a toss up between Grant and DKD.  I'd probably pick Grant but DKD's energy and running might negate his inability to pass the ball and be a nuisance to their defence.  Grant's the better player but plays at such a slow tempo that he can be anonymous at times.  One thing's for sure, if Blackwood starts after last week then Kewell can fuck right off.

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

Grant

TLDR:  We can win if Kewell gets it bang on, if not (which I'm afraid is likely) we could easily get a drubbing.

If Blackwood starts we know its HK in charge.

42 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

Grant

That makes a lot of sense to me.  Any sort of nullification and goalless draw would be a major result (and surprise).

53 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

A back three of Piergianni, Clarke and Jameson is definitely the way to go.

Fage or Diarra - depends on fitness but I’d start with Fage. 

I’d also start Whelan instead of McCalmont.

Too early for Dearnley but McAleny was close last week so hopefully he will start up front alongside Rowe.

However I fear that HK may go for a cautious approach which means one upfront and extra defensive cover in the middle. 

Not a good ground for Latics traditionally - think i have been 3 times, 2 draws and a 0-2 defeat and we got hammered there 5-2 last season and lost 0-1 the season before. 

In saying that, Latics best performances and results this season have been against higher placed or quite fancied sides when in true Latics fashion, we have upset the odds. 

No idea on make up of team but as long as those that bear the shirt put it in and are suitably organised then we have a fighting chance. I expect nothing out ofthe game points wise so a draw or win would be fantastic         

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've probably missed it but I thought Diarra was a midfielder /centre back. But people want to play him at wing back? 

Honestly I thought he was naturally a right back who can play in midfield, but played centre back at Bradford.

If I'm mistaken then Fage is the best we have at wing back.  Not ideal.

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Not a good ground for Latics traditionally - think i have been 3 times, 2 draws and a 0-2 defeat and we got hammered there 5-2 last season and lost 0-1 the season before. 

In saying that, Latics best performances and results this season have been against higher placed or quite fancied sides when in true Latics fashion, we have upset the odds. 

No idea on make up of team but as long as those that bear the shirt put it in and are suitably organised then we have a fighting chance. I expect nothing out ofthe game points wise so a draw or win would be fantastic         

I would have gone to this one if not for the virus - possibly the worst away terrace I’ve ever stood on though.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

Grant

Good post. I get it w Pidge, I don't dislike his defensive attributes and he's probs won us 4-6 points this season, i.e. Bolton. If we go 343 put Ntambwe in the middle and play Pidge, I could handle that over Garrity. Almost looking forward to the match now 😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I would have gone to this one if not for the virus - possibly the worst away terrace I’ve ever stood on though.

Last time i went, they were updating the away end - no one working on it at the time but terrace was closed. They insisted all Latics fans sit in the Stand and you had to walk through the terrace to get to it. They charged us an extra £4 to sit down although it was not our fault they had decided to deem the terrace closed! Hate being ripped off, not been since. 

I was on holiday for the 2-5 last season (watched it on Sky Sports News updates) and refused to go when we lost 0-1 under Wild (was convinced we had no chance of play offs and so it proved) 

A long drive which I have done twice, and a long train journey which would be my choice if going again         

46 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

cant be worse than the ‘terrace’ at Wimbledon BigDog 

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

cant be worse than the ‘terrace’ at Wimbledon BigDog 

At least there is a roof over part of the terrace but it’s still shit. I’ve been twice to the old Kingston ground and both times had to stand just in front of the bins. The whiff was obnoxious 😱

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Lawlor

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Fage

Ntambwe

McCalmont

CBJ

Bahamboula

Rowe

Grant

That's novel. We drop them if they play well and keep them in the team if they play badly.

13 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Just about recovered from last week, me. Had to stay away from the board as Latics fans gloating over a Latics loss hurts, however understandable it may be.

The positivity boat is just about afloat, but I've had a wander about and I think there's only me on board. Decided I don't actually like being alone. Well, not always!!

ALMOBO are such cunts for what they've done to us and I was as close as one can come to abandoning the manager after what he couldn't see with Garrity last week. Was an absolute disgrace that and 100% cost us the match. Never one for scapegoating but all of us watching could see that coming. First 30 mins were good as a team but 30 mins gets ya fuckall.

Don't want to see him start for us until he comes of the bench and plays well ten times, highly unlikely I know. I'm a very forgiving person, but even thinking about it flashes angrily in the forward right of my pre frontal cortex.

Im still fine w Pidge not in the team, Jameson's composure and tendency to pass gives me hope, Clarke I just like all round.

Very, very tough match this, they 'typical Latics'd us last week, so they better do it again this week bc we really need it. No point trying to guess the eleven and I'm not gona put my team up bc I always forget somebody!!!

COME. ON. OLDHAM.

💙💙💙💙💙💙

I can relate to this. It’s been taking me a full week to recover from most performances this season. One win though and the optimism comes straight back. 

I do think garrity gets a rough time. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t rate him at all but there’s always at least a few worse than him every week. Last week it was DKD and Hamer.  That’s how bad it’s got, the only thing up for debate most weeks is which one of the usual five or six is the worst offender. 

Anyway, beat these tomorrow and we’re right back into the play off race!

Archived