MATCH: vs Salford (H) 30/01/21

4 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

My Dad was a big fan of Alan Groves. I was fortunate to start watching them 3 years prior to the pinch me years.

Groves left an indelible mark on all Latics fans who saw him play, it was a pleasure to see him with the ball at his feet. Stainrod was the only player who came close to Groves in my eyes. 

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

5 points now from 6 games in January...he's starting to feel the pressure. It's never his fault, don't you remember😂😂

Yeah, it's definitely starting to go the usual way for him, that lot didn't bring him into their project to muck about and nothing less than promotion will do. It sounded like today really hurt him, I don't take any pleasure from that - he was a great player for us - but I do take enormous pleasure from turning that lot over and the manner in which we did it 🤣🤣🤣

30 minutes ago, parigby said:

Every time someone mentions Alan Groves, l go back to the day at Stamford Bridge when he totally destroyed Chopper Harris and the rest of the Chelsea defence single handedly. Oh What a Player he was.

And he destroyed  England full back Phil Neal in the FA cup tie at Anfield.

6 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Rowe scored again today, I'm still gutted that he went too - I think it really might have been on if he'd stayed ☹️

Is it not at least possible that we have won 2 home games in a week against top end physical sides after having already lost 9 at home because he ( and Pidge) weren’t there?

44 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Groves left an indelible mark on all Latics fans who saw him play, it was a pleasure to see him with the ball at his feet. Stainrod was the only player who came close to Groves in my eyes. 

Wylde wasn't too shabby either 

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Wylde wasn't too shabby either 

I absolutely loved Rodger Wylde, I'll never forget the hat trick he scored v Wolves - sliding on his knees towards the Chaddy with his arms in the air when he got his 3rd. Absolute class player he was. He got a fantastic reception when he came back a few years later with Sunderland.

19 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

Is it not at least possible that we have won 2 home games in a week against top end physical sides after having already lost 9 at home because he ( and Pidge) weren’t there?

Yes, it's certainly possible - and if so full credit to HK and the rest of the selection committee 🙂

Even in the first half we looked decent going forward. Maybe we didn’t quite deserve the win overall but that’s not the way it works. We did enough to score twice (and could have had another one or two) and actually defended pretty well second half for the large part.

Thoroughly satisfying 

We are in league 2 because we are not that good and the same can be said of every other team. Salford were not good enough first half and we did them second. Great result with two really good goals. Still in touch just takes a decent run and who knows!

11 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I absolutely loved Rodger Wylde, I'll never forget the hat trick he scored v Wolves - sliding on his knees towards the Chaddy with his arms in the air when he got his 3rd. Absolute class player he was. He got a fantastic reception when he came back a few years later with Sunderland.

Yes remember that day was such a great game 

Ricky Holden was nothing like Bahamboula.  He didn't use pace to beat his man and only needed a half yard to put a fantastic cross in. Him on the left and Neil Adams on the right was fantastic to watch 

58 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

There are as many clubs' set of supporters that recognise his talents as names that you have had on this forum.

10 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

There are as many clubs' set of supporters that recognise his talents as names that you have had on this forum.

Really?    I don’t hear  Fleetwood Lincoln and Stockport fans singing his praises and apart from them he has played at Fylde and 19 league games for us and 3 Bradford. The highest placed team he has ever played for were 16th in the 4 th tier 

24 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

Ricky Holden was nothing like Bahamboula.  He didn't use pace to beat his man and only needed a half yard to put a fantastic cross in. Him on the left and Neil Adams on the right was fantastic to watch 

Yep, David Eyres is more comparable to Rick Holden than Bahamboula, both were similar types of players.

29 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

Not sure I have ever witnessed a bahamboula cross a ball, certainly not an impactful one. Nothing like Holden

Archived