MATCH: vs Bolton (H) 02/03/21

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Matt changed the title to MATCH: vs Bolton (H) 02/03/21
  • Matt featured this topic

Might not be a popular opinion, but this could be a game to make a few tinkers to the side.  I'm a firm believer of keeping a winning side as much as possible, but this isn't a normal season and the constant games will take their toll on all players in the EFL.

Added to that the subs on Saturday made a really good impact overall.  Pidge was MotM in the 45 mins he played, Jameson was solid at left back, Fage had a good cameo in the middle of the park and even with Blackwood's lack of end product (see that assist!) he was a nuisance to their defence and put himself about well, unlike against Barrow on Tuesday.

And looking at some of our better players, Hilßner has looked like he has been flagging a bit in the last two games and I'm not sure he could last the full 90.  McAleny and Bahamboula have produced moments of brilliance in February but can be ineffective for large periods of games as well.  Adams has probably been our most consistent player since January but will not be able to play 90 mins constantly twice a week over the coming weeks.  Clarke looked a lot better alongside Pidge but when he's playing alongside any other defender he's not looked comfortable, which bearing in mind our loan restrictions should not make him a guaranteed starter.

I'm definitely not saying that we should drop all of the 5 players from Tuesday because it would massively weaken us from the start and the game might be beyond us well before the end, but maybe even replacing a couple of them with Saturday's subs could give us some really good options off the bench for the last 20 or 30 minutes and possibly change the game late on, just like on Saturday.

Bolton think they are City. Always playing out from the back... pass pass pass. Press them and they will make mistakes. 

.... according to my Unibol season ticket holding pal anyway. 

Not a game for Pidge this is it? 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Bolton think they are City. Always playing out from the back... pass pass pass. Press them and they will make mistakes. 

.... according to my Unibol season ticket holding pal anyway. 

Not a game for Pidge this is it? 

not in the slightest

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

If we play Pidge against these then the 'play pidge concede three' statistic would have already paid out after 30mins.

Thought that myself. Did very well on Saturday, but I'm not sure this is a game for him...

10 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Might not be a popular opinion, but this could be a game to make a few tinkers to the side.  I'm a firm believer of keeping a winning side as much as possible, but this isn't a normal season and the constant games will take their toll on all players in the EFL.

Added to that the subs on Saturday made a really good impact overall.  Pidge was MotM in the 45 mins he played, Jameson was solid at left back, Fage had a good cameo in the middle of the park and even with Blackwood's lack of end product (see that assist!) he was a nuisance to their defence and put himself about well, unlike against Barrow on Tuesday.

And looking at some of our better players, Hilßner has looked like he has been flagging a bit in the last two games and I'm not sure he could last the full 90.  McAleny and Bahamboula have produced moments of brilliance in February but can be ineffective for large periods of games as well.  Adams has probably been our most consistent player since January but will not be able to play 90 mins constantly twice a week over the coming weeks.  Clarke looked a lot better alongside Pidge but when he's playing alongside any other defender he's not looked comfortable, which bearing in mind our loan restrictions should not make him a guaranteed starter.

I'm definitely not saying that we should drop all of the 5 players from Tuesday because it would massively weaken us from the start and the game might be beyond us well before the end, but maybe even replacing a couple of them with Saturday's subs could give us some really good options off the bench for the last 20 or 30 minutes and possibly change the game late on, just like on Saturday.

Full steam ahead and beat these hateful bar stewards 

Very tough match.Bolton are a strong side and Doyle will no doubt  score.Id  have Pidge and Clarke along side. 

We can win if we dont carry any passengers and all put in 100%.

4 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Very tough match.Bolton are a strong side and Doyle will no doubt  score.Id  have Pidge and Clarke along side. 

They've been poor for most of the season, until this mini revival 

All good runs have to come to an end, it might aswell be us that makes it happen.

Get the first goal and they'll be all over the place.

5 hours ago, Flemboy said:

For me, they were one of the weakest teams we've played this season, although they've strengthened since then.  Kioso was by far their best player and he's gone now.

Their recent good run has been almost entirely against the basement sides - Stevenage, Southend, Barrow. 

I don't think we should fear them.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

They've been poor for most of the season, until this mini revival 

All good runs have to come to an end, it might aswell be us that makes it happen.

Get the first goal and they'll be all over the place.

The ‘mini revival’ has coincided with three key additions to the team.

Kieran Lee, Marcus Maddison and Declan John have joined in the past few weeks.

They also have two solid centre backs in Santos and Baptiste plus three very good forwards in Doyle, Isgrove and Sarcevic.

Bolton have some very good footballers and if we are not absolutely on our game they will turn us over. This is going to be a tough game.

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The ‘mini revival’ has coincided with three key additions to the team.

Kieran Lee, Marcus Maddison and Declan John have joined in the past few weeks.

They also have two solid centre backs in Santos and Baptiste plus three very good forwards in Doyle, Isgrove and Sarcevic.

Bolton have some very good footballers and if we are not absolutely on our game they will turn us over. This is going to be a tough game.

Do they play the same players twice as week or makes several changes to keep key players fresh?

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Do they play the same players twice as week or makes several changes to keep key players fresh?

A quick analysis of their past few matches shows that the keeper and back four have remained constant throughout. There have been some changes to midfield and forward line but essentially the core of the team has remained intact.

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

A quick analysis of their past few matches shows that the keeper and back four have remained constant throughout. There have been some changes to midfield and forward line but essentially the core of the team has remained intact.

So climbed from relegation candidates to play off hopefuls with virtually no rotation and the key players are still fresh?

Makes a mockery of HKs theories.

Just now, BP1960 said:

So climbed from relegation candidates to play off hopefuls with virtually no rotation and the key players are still fresh?

They're on a good run...........like we were a couple of months ago............ and have a better squad with few long-term injured.

Tell us all now, who do you want as manager ??

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

They're on a good run...........like we were a couple of months ago............ and have a better squad with few long-term injured.

Tell us all now, who do you want as manager ??

Jim Frizzell, the obvious choice.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Whilst passing the ball out from the back and NOT playing 442. 

You make a mockery of yourself sometimes yano 🙄

Archived