MATCH: vs Colchester United (H) 09/04/21

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ctblue said:

Poor substitutions from Curle

That's because we don't have anything other than a workable first 11. The squad depth is poor and you can't ask the same 11 to play 90 minutes game after game. 

10 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Kieler-Dunn must be close to double figs in the league now. Again a decent return 

Has 11 in all competitions as a trendy false 9 which for the league 2 players is far too complicated and like asking them to perform brain surgery.

The good, the bad and plenty of ugly tonight.

Could be critical of taking off Conor Mac, which didn't make sense to me, then we end up 5-2.

Really pleased with the first half, second half was shades of Dino's side which crumbled under pressure.

Jameson looked good again, well done to DKD for sticking at it, both Dylan's excellent, Alfie and Callum played some lovely stuff at times.

Special mention to Laurie Walker, fine save at the vital moment, would be delighted to keep hold of him.

Does Pidge ever miss a header? Class act.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

That's because we don't have anything other than a workable first 11. The squad depth is poor and you can't ask the same 11 to play 90 minutes game after game. 

While I agree up to a point, I think the same 11 should be able to play and maintain consistency. Inevitable injuries etc. will always throw a spanner in the works and yes, the quality in depth is not the best.

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Very poor. 3-0 to 5-2 ffs.

Agreed ffs. But at the time he took off Mcaleney for Garrity it just said to the opposition we wanted to defend our lead and nearly backfired. Ffs. 

The substitutions were poor, we should have finished them off earlier, having said that it was a seven goal thriller. 64 goals in the league so far this season.

I was surprised we took Conor Mac off, but just as surprised that Colchester took Nouble off, especially after he had just scored.

If our younger players can learn to be a bit more savvy with the ball and we had a bit more strength in depth, this could be a useful team at this level.

The rot started when players were showboating a bit, dummying the ball instead of getting hold of it, and spread to Piergianni trying to flick at the ball instead of simply banging it in touch. This gave them the incentive of a goal and us the jitters which we managed to quell because Colchester aren't much of a side, but would prove costly against a better team.

Overall a decent display but we took unnecessary chances when 3-0 up and it could have all gone wrong. 

Archived