MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So- let me get this straight. 

You’ve taken opinion on Twitter and come on here, and told everyone to calm down when no one on here has said the above. 

Eysery!! 

Come on mate. 

You’re better than this. 😂

I'm addressing the whole #oafc social media family.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So- let me get this straight. 

You’ve taken opinion on Twitter and come on here, and told everyone to calm down when no one on here has said the above. 

Eysery!! 

Come on mate. 

You’re better than this. 😂

I'm addressing the whole #oafc social media family.

Useless. This squad would struggle in the division below. Bristol we’re as bad as I’ve seen yet they totally destroyed us in that 1st half tonight. Piergianni, Fage, whelan, Blyth and Diarra amongst the worst I’ve ever see put the shirt on. Sell the club now. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Did you go Bosh? 

Was it sporadic throughout the game, or towards the end? 

I watched on ifollow a shambolic first half, Bristol didn't play with the same intensity 2nd half so made us just look poor.

So for now I'm going to put to one side that the club is clearly rotting from the inside and focus on what happened on the pitch.  It isn't much better sadly.

The first half was scarily bad.  I don't mind the 3-4-2-1 formation and, if it's well drilled, it could be a solid formation with the chance to include a couple of creative players. 

What we had was wing-backs who offered less than no protection for the defence, Clarke and Hart who played like full backs which left a very slow Pidge on his own with no protection from the centre mids in front of him. 

I've never seen an Oldham team play away with such a disregard for being a defensive unit.  They should have been a significant number ahead at half time as they missed big chances which they really shouldn't have.  We let them through time and again and the way DKD and Stobbs gave away possession which lead to danger was criminal.

The front three were pretty non-existant in the first half too which is a huge issue when you're effectively playing with 1 sub-standard centre-back and no protection.

The subs in the 2nd half were the right ones and we improved from our incredibly low base with a clear 4-4-2 (you heard me right BP1960).  Fage and Stobbs didn't deserve to stay on and DKD didn't improve at all in the first 10 mins of the half.  At least the team looked functional in that shape despite offering very little threat. 

Diarra scares me but he was necessary to make up the back four.  Clarke and Piergianni are an OK pairing and Hart looked better as a left back.  Cisse and Whelan improved but I'm not convinced by either of them.  Adams gave us width and shape but that miss was appalling.  Bahamboula cutting in from the left works in that team, certainly better than where he played in the first half.  Hope looks like a foil for a poacher rather than a big goal threat, but we're asking him to be our main goal threat.  Blyth just didn't look very good, but at least he was a physical presence.

The above are the best positives I can find.  It's utterly depressing.  I'm giving Curle the benefit of the doubt as he isn't physically there, but he needs to tear into the lads and stamp his authority on this team when he does come back.  If not then he'll be under a lot of pressure because currently we're hurtling downhill fast.

You can only form opinions after watching games. I honestly thought we were decent against Tranmere & Bradford and just a couple of signings short, however that utter shambles of a performance, which was as bad as anything under Kewell, has changed my opinion completely. Midfield & Defence were non existent and the game could and should have been over by halftime.

Hope looked really poor up front tonight where we once again offered absolutely nothing and Dearnley not being on the bench suggests he is injured yet again after just a 20 minute cameo at Valley Parade.

We are rock bottom with no points and I haven’t a clue where our much needed goals are coming from.

If this sequence of results continues I wouldn’t be surprised to see Curle walk away. Our budget must be horrific and he probably has to make do with what we’ve got now which is clearly nowhere near enough.

The league table does not make for good reading and our next two games even at this stage are already absolutely crucial!

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s a very honest assessment and is pretty ominous considering it’s only the third game of a new season.

Yes he spoke like a fan, hope he gave Mo what for. Then again if he did he wouldn't be here on Saturday.

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s a very honest assessment and is pretty ominous considering it’s only the third game of a new season.

That’s how pathetic these clowns have head us into a new season and 3 games in, half the players couldn’t give a shite already, or are showing there true pay levels.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So for now I'm going to put to one side that the club is clearly rotting from the inside and focus on what happened on the pitch.  It isn't much better sadly.

The first half was scarily bad.  I don't mind the 3-4-2-1 formation and, if it's well drilled, it could be a solid formation with the chance to include a couple of creative players. 

What we had was wing-backs who offered less than no protection for the defence, Clarke and Hart who played like full backs which left a very slow Pidge on his own with no protection from the centre mids in front of him. 

I've never seen an Oldham team play away with such a disregard for being a defensive unit.  They should have been a significant number ahead at half time as they missed big chances which they really shouldn't have.  We let them through time and again and the way DKD and Stobbs gave away possession which lead to danger was criminal.

The front three were pretty non-existant in the first half too which is a huge issue when you're effectively playing with 1 sub-standard centre-back and no protection.

The subs in the 2nd half were the right ones and we improved from our incredibly low base with a clear 4-4-2 (you heard me right BP1960).  Fage and Stobbs didn't deserve to stay on and DKD didn't improve at all in the first 10 mins of the half.  At least the team looked functional in that shape despite offering very little threat. 

Diarra scares me but he was necessary to make up the back four.  Clarke and Piergianni are an OK pairing and Hart looked better as a left back.  Cisse and Whelan improved but I'm not convinced by either of them.  Adams gave us width and shape but that miss was appalling.  Bahamboula cutting in from the left works in that team, certainly better than where he played in the first half.  Hope looks like a foil for a poacher rather than a big goal threat, but we're asking him to be our main goal threat.  Blyth just didn't look very good, but at least he was a physical presence.

The above are the best positives I can find.  It's utterly depressing.  I'm giving Curle the benefit of the doubt as he isn't physically there, but he needs to tear into the lads and stamp his authority on this team when he does come back.  If not then he'll be under a lot of pressure because currently we're hurtling downhill fast.

I was at the game tonight and this is a very accurate summary of what I was watching. A couple of thoughts to add

how can a side be so unbelievably badly prepared as we looked in the first half? The 3/5 at the back set up was an absolute car crash.

Rovers looked a poor team, but after about fifteen minutes they worked out a simple way to get behind us and then spent most of the rest of the first half repeating the same play to great effect. Only their ineptitude in front of goal stopped the game being out of sight at half time.

we had to go 442 at half time, and whilst that helped to stem the flow a bit it did bring Diarra onto the pitch. His booking about 20 seconds after coming on kind of set the tone for a second half of general shithousery and zero quality.

to me there was an irony that introducing Diarra and Blyth actually helped us to have a better shape despite both players being many levels below the minimum standard required to compete at this level (unpopular opinion but Fage at right back in a back four might have been a better option in the 2nd half than Diarra)

it was a terrible performance against a team that unless things change (eg sack Barton or swap half the team) on the evidence of tonight are likely to finish in the bottom six or eight this season.

many people say that there is too much shit in this division for Latics to go down. I’m afraid based on tonight’s performance I’m not at all sure about that.

we need to find a shape and a playing pattern that gets our better technical players into the game in more dangerous positions (Moyo, Adams, probably Hope, maybe DKD). Passing it along the back line until someone makes a mistake or Pidge gets bored and hoofs it for a goal kick is undoubtedly not an approach that is likely to work. We are also crying out for a centre forward.

the players took plenty of flak at the end of the game, and for what was served up tonight they probably deserved it. However, they are  not to blame for the shit show that our football club has become, and I hope the crowd gets behind them at the weekend when it’s 0-0 again and maybe Keef can get some kind of tune out of them.

finally there was plenty of “Abdallah out” chanted tonight along with some stick for the so called “happy clappers” in the seats. Welcome back to watching the football. What a mess.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If a narrow 1-0 defeat against one of the promotion favourites is the worst you've ever seen then you either have very short memories or you are being hysterical. Bit of perspective lads.

That first half was as bad as I’ve ever seen. Genuinely. I couldn’t care less if we’ve been smashed 5/6/7-0/1/2 in the past against teams higher up the league, that first half was an absolute disgrace and if someone wants to say it’s bad as they’ve watched, they’d be justified in doing so.

Take a break from being such a contrary fucker.

50 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

finally there was plenty of “Abdallah out” chanted tonight along with some stick for the so called “happy clappers” in the seats. Welcome back to watching the football. What a mess.

Good! I am glad the fanbase are finally growing a backbone and are starting to voice their displeasure at all that is wrong with the club. Including the happy clappers, they are just as bad as the owners. 

Archived