MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Loads of prospective buyers apparently but none have stuck their head out or outlined their vision let alone made an acceptable offer, make yourselves known lads I say.

Officially putting the club up for sale may speed things up somewhat. Perhaps Barry Owen, who probably knows AL, MO, Blitz & Gazal better than most, may have an idea of what would be the best way to persuade them to do so!!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Maybe the day when all fans realise that the owners past and present are the architects of our demise.

Then we stop as a group blaming certain sections of fans and managers, stop arguing over pointless stuff that won't move us forward and come together as one fanbase respecting each others views and visions.

Only then will any fan movement or campaign really work.

Agree with one huge caveat - a united fans' group would have to have a clear set of written goals/objectives - and all fans would have to support them fully - whether in complete agreement or not. No veering away from stated objectives when the going gets tough - and no splintering of fans' groups - we just don't have enough fans to have splintering.

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Agree with one huge caveat - a united fans' group would have to have a clear set of written goals/objectives - and all fans would have to support them fully - whether in complete agreement or not. No veering away from stated objectives when the going gets tough - and no spliontering of fans' groups - we just don't have enough fans to have splintering.

Yes you are correct.

The big picture as fans we all want a club that is moving forward on and off the pitch and 100% effort in achieving that by all concerned.

As a group of fans a middle ground has to be found were all fans accept a way of challenging those who are running the club into the ground.

Everyone needs to listen more and have some empathy with others opinions by having discussions, not arguments. We can't always have it our own way so a little give and take to achieve a mission statement, a creed and a clear vision of what a fans group can or could achieve.

Its proven at other clubs to work.

46 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Serious question for you here.

What do you think a mass boycott of home games will achieve ?

I chose not to boycott the Newport game, my reasons were all about me.

I have worked throughout the pandemic, I have hardley been anywhere, I have not seen my family who I live 150 miles from, I needed a release and I needed to get together with my family and it was the football that brought is together for the first time in 18 months or so.

I can't go to many games due to location and job so boycotting home games has really been happening over the last 12 years.

I can understand those who choose not to boycott and I believe to achieve this there needs to be a big push to get that idea accross and how it may force the two clowns hands.

Radio, newspapers, online forums, flyers through every door in Oldham & Tameside etc.

Just saying on here or on a podcast about boycotting wont cause a mass event.

I'm not having a go here because I really want to see this club better off too.

Yeah, it’s really difficult isn’t it Maxi. 

People love the club. Genuinely. Boycotting is asking people to take away one of the things they cherish, and at a time when they really need it. Mental health/family etc. And I think what makes people even more reticent is having something tangible to get behind - or not. 

Why protest with 40 people, or miss a few games- what’s the point etc etc. 

However as you rightly point out, what we have to try and convince people of before they’ll even consider it; is that boycotting will get them closer to what we all want than turning up will. 

You asked what a boycott will achieve, 

The club loses a vast amount of money as it is. AL is paying the shortfall without any boycott at present. By not giving any further money to the club it gives him three choices. Keep finding the extra for the running costs-sell the club- or put us in admin.  People say he isn’t arsed about money. Really?? Why does our squad dwindle year on year then? Why have EFL loans? Because it’s crystal clear he isn’t willing to put the enough money in. He won’t and can’t sell it, because no one will pay for his bad financial decisions, and he knows that so hangs on to it to save face- while in reality it just continues to rot. So he’s left with admin- and for me this what we should be aiming for. 

I don’t care about the 12 points, even if it meant relegation. Because it would mean selling the club isn’t AL’s choice anymore- buyers would come forward. We would have some hope again. Remember what that felt like? No- me neither. 

So- are people willing to boycott to put the club we love into admin?? Are people willing to go through the pain of seeing us relegated? But with the hope of a brighter future? 

Or, would they rather keep supporting us through relegation, and beyond. 

But make no mistake Maxi- that is where we are going, and we either support relegation or at the very least to try to do something about it. 

2 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Not been on here for a while, holidays take priority, not seen any games, don't know what a podcast is, don't do anti social media just seen the dire results but wow, lighten up people. I don't seem to have read anything much on here about football, it's all death, doom, plague, pestilence and destruction. I don't really give a monkeys about who owns/runs/manages/coaches/directs or who makes the tea at half time, I go to watch a game of football and when I can't go I am not reading much about it on this forum. I really want to know how we played or if anyone had a stinker, e.g. has Whelan made a tackle yet, has Pidge won the ball cleanly or are we desperate for a centre half, has Bambam already won player of the season. Not bothered if anyone goes to the gym or if the pies are crap, please can we have more about football and any related rumours because I'm getting a bit pissed off with the diatribe being posted. Always look on the bright side of life, then whistle.

There is absolutely no obligation to interact, you don't have to reply to anything that doesn't appear to be something you want to read. If your only reason for replying is to annoy people, then it's probably best for you not to reply. If you want to create debate, start a thread on something you do want to talk about or that interests you. Please allow other people to talk about what they want to talk about, even if you're not interested.

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

People love the club. Genuinely. Boycotting is asking people to take away one of the things they cherish, and at a time when they really need it. Mental health/family etc. And I think what makes people even more reticent is having something tangible to get behind - or not. 

However as you rightly point out, what we have to try and convince people of before they’ll even consider it; is that boycotting will get them closer to what we all want than turning up will. 

The club loses a vast amount of money as it is. AL is paying the shortfall without any boycott at present. By not giving any further money to the club it gives him three choices. Keep finding the extra for the running costs-sell the club- or put us in admin.  People say he isn’t arsed about money. Really?? Why does our squad dwindle year on year then? Why have EFL loans? Because it’s crystal clear he isn’t willing to put the enough money in. He won’t and can’t sell it, because no one will pay for his bad financial decisions, and he knows that so hangs on to it to save face- while in reality it just continues to rot. So he’s left with admin- and for me this what we should be aiming for. 

I don’t care about the 12 points, even if it meant relegation. Because it would mean selling the club isn’t AL’s choice anymore- buyers would come forward. We would have some hope again. Remember what that felt like? No- me neither. 

So- are people willing to boycott to put the club we love into admin?? Are people willing to go through the pain of seeing us relegated? But with the hope of a brighter future? 

Or, would they rather keep supporting us through relegation, and beyond. 

But make no mistake Maxi- that is where we are going, and we either support relegation or at the very least to try to do something about it. 

Well you a gave me a great answer there and a good explanation of what you believe will happen if we starve the clown of any income from matchdays etc.

Going into admin and being relegated to non league seems a horrific outcome and there will be many fans who believe someting better will happen before that.

Sadly I think that is where we are heading under the ownership of this pair of clowns.

The old saying of "sometimes you have to take 2 steps backwards before you move forward" may be the direction we will go down.

Just feels we have been taking step after step backwards for years now with no forward step.

The scenario you describe does seem the only realistic way to get these clowns out unless some super rich fan comes forward, or one of us wins the euro lottery.

I don't know if 3000 fans will agree tho.

Perhaps more needs done to rally the troops.

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Well you a gave me a great answer there and a good explanation of what you believe will happen if we starve the clown of any income from matchdays etc.

Going into admin and being relegated to non league seems a horrific outcome and there will be many fans who believe someting better will happen before that.

Sadly I think that is where we are heading under the ownership of this pair of clowns.

The old saying of "sometimes you have to take 2 steps backwards before you move forward" may be the direction we will go down.

Just feels we have been taking step after step backwards for years now with no forward step.

The scenario you describe does seem the only realistic way to get these clowns out unless some super rich fan comes forward, or one of us wins the euro lottery.

I don't know if 3000 fans will agree tho.

Perhaps more needs done to rally the troops.

100%, and that’s where the challenge lies. 

How do you get people to A, see and accept the stark reality. And B, to do something which feels very counter intuitive. IE- take two steps backward for three forward. (When people already feel like all we do is go backwards anyway) 

I hate that these are the options, but we desperately need as a fanbase to get our head out of the sand and start owning the issue. All of us. We haven’t bottomed out yet, but I just wish people would embrace it instead of fearing it. 

We need some hope again. 

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

i take your point but don't think admin is some sort of guarantee.  We came very close to liquidation post Moore and the club is in a far worse state now than then - it was only the possibility of a property play that saved it and that's no longer available,

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

i take your point but don't think admin is some sort of guarantee.  We came very close to liquidation post Moore and the club is in a far worse state now than then - it was only the possibility of a property play that saved it and that's no longer available,

Aye, admin still has to be funded by someone and with no assets to sell presumably that someone would be Blitz, not sure that is the most desirable path to be going down.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If you pick the club/badge up for a song. And creditors are getting 10p to the pound. Then you much more room to look at the squad/negotiate with Blitz about a sale. (If he’ll sell 😩)

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Aye, admin still has to be funded by someone and with no assets to sell presumably that someone would be Blitz, not sure that is the most desirable path to be going down.

Nobody funds admin- or you wouldn’t be in admin. They work with what they’ve got. If the club has no money, people go unpaid, and they have less time to find a buyer before they have to liquidate. 

But we will have buyers, so our spell in admin would be relatively short. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nobody funds admin- or you wouldn’t be in admin. They work with what they’ve got. If the club has no money, people go unpaid, and they have less time to find a buyer before they have to liquidate. 

Hope you are right because in all reality, this is looking like a huge possibility.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Well, I hope you're right, but maybe Bury fans thought the same.

14 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

Question to the fanbase what are you all going to do about it? 

Because the only people I see looking to do anything about our predicament is @BPAS, @lookersstandandy, the newest members of the trust foundation and @PushTheBoundary.

As a fanbase we are the biggest doormats in the EFL, right now.

Where for the last 25 years the fanbase have been happy clapping like seals, being grateful for little oldham bills being paid, devoid of any ambition. While the bad owners and managers have been screwing us over. And we continue to bend over and be screwed even worse by this current regime. Anybody who wants ambition for the club, gets happy clapped away. Hence the low attendances. 

What will it take for what's left of the fanbase to realize that enough is enough?

When are you going to do something about it? 

You all moan a good protest, but you're still giving these Charlatans your money. 

I get where you're coming from, but at the risk of sounding like a cheap shot, it's easy to post that from Canada.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If you pick the club/badge up for a song. And creditors are getting 10p to the pound. Then you much more room to look at the squad/negotiate with Blitz about a sale. (If he’ll sell 😩)

Yep, but someone has to pay the bills while all that is going on

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Have a read:

What is Company Administration - Definition, Business Benefits, Advice (companydebt.com)

What I don't get about the "we only go for the football" lads is that have they not noticed that football has got significantly worse in the last few years, do they even care. I do I care when we win or lose.

The biggest gripe I have over the last 4 years is how much worse the football has got.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I don't think he's arsed about getting money from fans. The financial benefit they bring is outweighed by the hassle needed to keep them happy (The Bradford ticket fiasco the latest evidence of the contempt he holds them in), therefore the boycott would at best not bother him.

I'd prefer making our feelings known in the ground. That way no one will feel forced not to go to the game, some fence-sitters might actually join in with what's going on and I think it would make the owners more uncomfortable than us just not being there. It might also bring more media attention. More media exposure means more people hear about it highlighting the issue of bad ownership for ourselves and other clubs like us and, who knows, might even prick the ears of potential investors. 

I've also said, if we're doing the boycott thing - do it for one game initially. Get the gate as low as possible. Show we are willing to unite. I remember Brighton did it when they were having their ground issues (I'll try and find an article). 

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What I don't get about the "we only go for the football" lads is that have they not noticed that football has got significantly worse in the last few years, do they even care. I do I care when we win or lose.

The biggest gripe I have over the last 4 years is how much worse the football has got.

This is what as fans we have to stop if there is going to be any form of unity as a group to make life difficult for the two clowns.

Doesnt matter why I go or you dont, and neither of us as a right to ridicule that free choice.

Having a go at fans for clapping or vice versa, fans having a go at boycotters will achieve nothing only more bad feeling.

Coming together as one and finding a middle ground that we are all happy with takes maturity & honesty. If we can't unite now we never will.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think he's arsed about getting money from fans. The financial benefit they bring is outweighed by the hassle needed to keep them happy (The Bradford ticket fiasco the latest evidence of the contempt he holds them in), therefore the boycott would at best not bother him.

I'd prefer making our feelings known in the ground. That way no one will feel forced not to go to the game, some fence-sitters might actually join in with what's going on and I think it would make the owners more uncomfortable than us just not being there. It might also bring more media attention. More media exposure means more people hear about it highlighting the issue of bad ownership for ourselves and other clubs like us and, who knows, might even prick the ears of potential investors. 

I've also said, if we're doing the boycott thing - do it for one game initially. Get the gate as low as possible. Show we are willing to unite. I remember Brighton did it when they were having their ground issues (I'll try and find an article). 

Good post and another view of how this could please everyone.

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Quite. We're bottom of the football league.  You'd think that'd be a bit of a red flag.

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Quite. We're bottom of the football league.  You'd think that'd be a bit of a red flag.

Since when have all fans stopped going because they are bottom of the 4th division and doing total crap.

To some its habit, a family thing, a reason to have a few hours away from the missis and kids and to some they will follow the team no matter what.

I dont get why this has to ridiculed.

Its a choice we all have.

Doesn't mean they don't care.

Everyone is different and we all deal with things differently.

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Since when have all fans stopped going because they are bottom of the 4th division and doing total crap.

To some its habit, a family thing, a reason to have a few hours away from the missis and kids and to some they will follow the team no matter what.

I dont get why this has to ridiculed.

Its a choice we all have.

Doesn't mean they don't care.

Everyone is different and we all deal with things differently.

Where have I ridiculed anyone? In fact I'm sure you'd be hard pushed to find anyone ridiculing those who have decided to keep going for personal and family reasons.  What I took from Glossops post is that there are those who say they don't care about off the pitch, they just go to the games. 

Being bottom of the league should suggest there's a problem off the pitch. My opinion is that every supporter of this club should care about the reasons why this is and want to do something about it, whatever that may be.

For anyone saying that the football isn't good enough to go and watch then your not a real fan. If you wanna watch good successful football go in to Manchester. Whether its the worst football you've ever seen the past few years shouldn't matter. 1200 fans went to watch bury afc at weekend. In the 10th teir. Because no matter where they are they support the club. If your not going because of money to the owners etc then fine, thats a principle, but don't anyone start saying why do people go to the games for the football, we are shit. We go for the football. Win or lose. We support latics wether we are shit or not. Its in the blood and as much as I get frustrated, upset, angry after games, I still go to the next when I can because I cant quit. If anyone is the same as me but feel strongly enough about the boycott then thats fine. Its for a reason. But for all those labelling us as the 'only go for the football' group, just stop. Everyone has their right to choose wether to go or not but some people on here are making it sound like we go and don't care. Which is out of order. I cant quit however much I try. Doesnt mean I go jus for football coz I dont give a shit about the club

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Where have I ridiculed anyone? In fact I'm sure you'd be hard pushed to find anyone ridiculing those who have decided to keep going for personal and family reasons.  What I took from Glossops post is that there are those who say they don't care about off the pitch, they just go to the games. 

Being bottom of the league should suggest there's a problem off the pitch. My opinion is that every supporter of this club should care about the reasons why this is and want to do something about it, whatever that may 

So if I'm understanding the logic here.

If you are still going for personal or family reasons thats ok. 

If you go bacause of the football and are the type of person who believes that what goes on off the pitch is out of their hands or for others to deal with then thats not ok.

I will give an exame of my experiences with my job and colleagues.

Some us challenge our bosses and the policies in place that affect my work life experience.

Some of my colleagues just aren't the type, cant be arsed or just want to do their job and go home and would rather someone like me confront issues.

Thats fine because I know we are all very different animals. I may get plenty of stress through my job, some of my colleagues don't.

I don't call them out, I choose to be the way I am.

So whether you go to latics for any reason it doesn't matter.

Its none of my business and I respect their decision.

We should all respect each other and accept not every fan will want to protest, boycott or confront people.

Archived