MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Fans need to get a grip…Jesus!!!!!

You’re right Curle wasn’t there but the 3 additions he brought in to assist him were….

Occasional poor performances are to be expected……..last nights effort was a total shambles!

Don't take any notice of him he just trolling people like he always does.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Fans need to get a grip…Jesus!!!!!

You’re right Curle wasn’t there but the 3 additions he brought in to assist him were….

Occasional poor performances are to be expected……..last nights effort was a total shambles!

Pitch invasion last Tuesday, won the singing on Saturday then booed off last night, no wonder the players seemed shell-shocked at the end...

52 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

As bad as booing and heckling players 3 games into a season?

To be honest Rob, it was exactly what they deserved. The players and manager should not be getting a free pass just because the club is run by idiots. A fella said to me last night that it wasn't the players fault because they are non league players and I couldn't disagree more. We paid money to go and watch them, not the owners and the performance they put in was completely unacceptable. I wouldn't mark it down as the worst ever (0-1 v Macc in 2019 will always take some beating), but it was in the top 10 for sure. Make no mistake; it could, and probably should, have been 5-0 at half time...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Pitch invasion last Tuesday, won the singing on Saturday then booed off last night, no wonder the players seemed shell-shocked at the end...

FFS!!!  The players were shell shocked at the start…

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

To be honest Rob, it was exactly what they deserved. The players and manager should not be getting a free pass just because the club is run by idiots. A fella said to me last night that it wasn't the players fault because they are non league players and I couldn't disagree more. We paid money to go and watch them, not the owners and the performance they put in was completely unacceptable. I wouldn't mark it down as the worst ever (0-1 v Macc in 2019 will always take some beating), but it was in the top 10 for sure. Make no mistake; it could, and probably should, have been 5-0 at half time...

Can't be booing players in August Pat, poor performance or not.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Disagree. I didn’t go, but those fans will have all spent £50+ more each last night, deserved much better, but it was totally abysmal. I’d have been booing, 100%! 

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I thought the Away Day Army were supposed to be getting behind the team, creating an amazing atmosphere? Seems like they've reverted to type after 2 games...

Nope. 

You’ve made that one up, because today you don’t agree with booing. 

Who knows what tomorrow will bring? 

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Absolute bollocks!!!! 

The players happily take the plaudits and should be man enough to take the stick when it is totally justifiable.

Rip the coaching manual up…..sit them all down and make them watch their own performances throughout that 1st half. 
It would be more beneficial than any training sessions.

That was totally unacceptable and they should be made fully aware that any repeat will not be tolerated!!!

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nope. 

You’ve made that one up, because today you don’t agree with booing. 

Who knows what tomorrow will bring? 

Well people think creating a toxic atmosphere is going to help the team do better then they are in for a surprise...

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Absolute bollocks!!!! 

The players happily take the plaudits and should be man enough to take the stick when it is totally justifiable.

Rip the coaching manual up…..sit them all down and make them watch their own performances throughout that 1st half. 
It would be more beneficial than any training sessions.

That was totally unacceptable and they should be made fully aware that any repeat will not be tolerated!!!

Are the other team not allowed to just be better on the day anymore, always has to be down to what we haven't done?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I am sure almost all the fans who took the time,  money and effort to get there last night did not go with the intention of giving the players what for, but the only alternative was to turn your back at the final whistle and walk out seething at what had just happened (which is what I did). There can be no blame on the fans for their reaction at the end, it was a scarcely believable performance from every player on the pitch.

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I mostly agree with this.  Blyth has to be a short term stop gap or else Curle's judgement in the transfer market would have to be questioned.

The 3-5-2 or similar has worked well for Curle in the past at this level, but it relied on 3 proper centre backs and two full-backs/wing-backs who could all be disciplined enough to defend.  What we had last night in the first half was two wide centre backs who played like full backs and two wing-backs who played like wingers.  Fage should be more attuned to the defensive side after last season but didn't show it last night, Stobbs just looks like a winger to me and not a player I'd trust defensively at wing-back.  If Curle genuinely has brought him in for the wing-back role then I'll be criticising his recruitment.

That said, while I see the merits of a proper back 5 with wing-backs done well, we should definitely go with 4-4-2 on Saturday.  The team we have needs a simple structure because I don't trust them to be disciplined by themselves.  The back four who finished last night would be good enough for Saturday.  Clarke and Piergianni as a centre back partnership and Hart at left back doesn't worry me much, Diarra does but at least he would be physical enough at right back alongside the other three.  Cisse and Whelan were better in the 2nd half when there was less emphasis to protect the defence, Adams and Bahamboula on the flanks would provide different useful threats.  Hope will be more effective in front two.  If Dearnley isn't fit then I'd have DKD as an out-and-out striker alongside Hope because, despite his flaws, he can finish.

As for Curle, the reason that I'm cutting him slack for last night is the same reason that I expect a big impact from him on Saturday.  If we can turn things around significantly when he's back in the dugout on Saturday then he can prove how influential he is to the team.  That said, more of the same and he rightly deserves to be slated.

I think with the resources we have this is about all we can do on Saturday, but neither Hope nor DKD looked like goal scoring forward players last night.

Diarra is the other issue for me, he looks so far out of his depth. Zero technical ability and a walking yellow card/penalty conceder 

2 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

I don't like seeing any manager out on his ear and KC no different,  his saving grace for me is the fact that's he's at home isolating from his cold and not had direct involvement in 2 of the 3 defeats., comment bore out of frustration. 

I thought he had Covid or was isolating from it.

Or are you just another one of the deny-ers ?

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Relax everyone- we just got beat by the better side.

Again. 😂😂

Exactly, it's like lingo bingo, tick another one off, just the "We were beaten by a team who are among the favourites for promotion" to come. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Exactly, it's like lingo bingo, tick another one off, just the "We were beaten by a team who are among the favourites for promotion" to come. 

I mean strictly speaking that is true...

Totally unacceptable though.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Listen….when 286 fans travel to Bristol on a Tuesday night and are rewarded with a display such as that they have every right to vent their anger towards the players!

That performance last night was a disgrace and totally unacceptable!

I'm just glad I decided at last minute not go.. 

I'm trying to find the right words to describe last night's (lack of) performance. Gutless? Spineless? Clueless? Those and more. What an abject, pathetic display that was. No urgency, no attacking threat and no idea. Bristol Rovers are not a very good side but, By God, we made them look good. It didn't take them long to work out how to get through us and we didn't have the first idea of how to stop them.

Thanks to their profligacy in front of goal, we were only one down at half time. It should have been four and we could have had no complaints. I reckon they had two decent shouts for a penalty as well. We may have looked a bit better in the second half when we went 4 at the back, but that's not saying much.

If Diarra and Blyth are the answer, I dread to think what the question is. They are both Northern Premier League at best. DKD struggles to find a team-mate 5 or 10 yards away and, when he gets the ball, his first thought is to spin round and go in the opposite direction. The midfield is so weak, it's untrue. Did we win any headers in the middle or final thirds? I can't remember one.

Bringing Walker in on loan is a joke. He can't be the only keeper available on an emergency can he? He looks petrified every time the ball comes near the box. We know Pidge isn't the greatest CB in the world, but he was left horribly exposed, especially in the first half. 

I can't be arsed going through the rest of them, because it's difficult, almost impossible actually, to pick the best of a bad lot. I'm just thankful I only had a 20 minute drive home, because I would have hated a 200 mile trip with that pile of bilge ringing round my head. 

We were propping up the old 4th Division (and 3rd North) back in the 1950s, but at least they tried even if they weren't very good. There wasn't a hint of effort last night and they should be ashamed to call themselves professional footbllers.

I don't know how the conversation went between Cisse and fans at the front after the match, but he looked to be apologising. It's a shame the rest of them didn't, because they fully deserved all the pelters they got after that insipid display. They should be embarrassed to pick up their pay packets.

Jeez - I haven't seen Latics play for quite a long time now - in case you are not aware I am boycotting home and away - it sounds worse than ever. It's obvious though that fans will not unite until it is too late (and maybe not even then judging by the entrenched views). Far too many relatively content with abject failure - really quite baffling.

Archived