MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

I'm glad I kept the £100 in my pocket.What a shambolic performance that was tonight  I still believe we should have stuck with HK but people will tell me it's Al and Mos fault that we have lost 3 league  games..This side is KC from the  signings to the  tactics .. long season ahead I'm afraid 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

Including the happy clappers, they are just as bad as the owners. 

100%. 

I wanted to clarify with Andy, but if our  fans are having a go at the chanting. Then that beggars belief. We keep hearing - quite rightly. We should respect people’s decision to still go- but that cuts both ways. Respect people right to vent their anger if they do go, and aren’t happy. 

Lastly, if true it kinda sucks any Remaining hope I have.

Seriously- what chance have we got if there are people who are dismayed/angry/upset at the chanting!? 

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

That first half was as bad as I’ve ever seen. Genuinely. I couldn’t care less if we’ve been smashed 5/6/7-0/1/2 in the past against teams higher up the league, that first half was an absolute disgrace and if someone wants to say it’s bad as they’ve watched, they’d be justified in doing so.

Take a break from being such a contrary fucker.

The last one always seems to be the worst one, like I say people have very short memories.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

100%. 

I wanted to clarify with Andy, but if our  fans are having a go at the chanting. Then that beggars belief. We keep hearing - quite rightly. We should respect people’s decision to still go- but that cuts both ways. Respect people right to vent their anger if they do go, and aren’t happy. 

Lastly, if true it kinda sucks any Remaining hope I have.

Seriously- what chance have we got if there are people who are dismayed/angry/upset at the chanting!? 

I thought the Away Day Army were supposed to be getting behind the team, creating an amazing atmosphere? Seems like they've reverted to type after 2 games...

5 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

I'm glad I kept the £100 in my pocket.What a shambolic performance that was tonight  I still believe we should have stuck with HK but people will tell me it's Al and Mos fault that we have lost 3 league  games..This side is KC from the  signings to the  tactics .. long season ahead I'm afraid 

Didn't KC say he'd only agree to sign players he'd seen? Well if this lot are an example his judgement is in serious question. Blyth being a prime example.

I was slated for criticising his tactics, now you can see why.

Bristol Rovers sussed us out, just bypass our midfield and hit it over the top of the back 3. Very simple and effective and if KC continues with it expect more of the same from every team we play.

6 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

we lost the first 3 under the messiah Kewell too 

4 if you count the “excellent” Morecambe performance 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I thought the Away Day Army were supposed to be getting behind the team, creating an amazing atmosphere? Seems like they've reverted to type after 2 games...

I will only be going to away games this season. I'm making that sacrifice to avoid giving any financial support to this regime. At the match I'll be supporting the team and I will join in any chants against the clowns. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

I've seen groups of away fans from every club behave in a myriad of different ways. To put our entire away following into one bracket and say they've 'reverted to type' is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't KC say he'd only agree to sign players he'd seen? Well if this lot are an example his judgement is in serious question. Blyth being a prime example.

Bristol Rovers sussed us out, just bypass our midfield and hit it over the top of the back 3. Very simple and effective and if KC continues with it expect more of the same from every team we play.

The way I see it is as good as the team performed against Bradford we still lost, didn't do enough to get over the line , schoolboy errors leading up to the pen..Then last night shambolic from keeper to forward... A great measuring line of how your season is going to map is against teams in and around you , and if we use last night as an example we are in trouble. I was of mixed opinion regards KC when we brought him in and i still am. What imput he had on last nights horror show hard to say but that seemed to be a KC team.

That's my thoughts anyway 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I guess there's no point harping on about HK no longer here , we have KC who I feel has built this side,  the signings are is, positive step been made on that front..His win ratio since taking over I believe is very poor, can we hold him accountable for last night?partly yes party no, but I expect nothing short of a win on Saturday or he can go for me.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If you are counting the Morecambe game you are forgetting a 3-0 win over Carlisle in the previous round

33 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I will only be going to away games this season. I'm making that sacrifice to avoid giving any financial support to this regime. At the match I'll be supporting the team and I will join in any chants against the clowns. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

I've seen groups of away fans from every club behave in a myriad of different ways. To put our entire away following into one bracket and say they've 'reverted to type' is ridiculous. 

As bad as booing and heckling players 3 games into a season?

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

They were just encouraging away attendance, rather than home, weren’t they?

Don’t recall them handing out song sheets..

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I mostly agree with this.  Blyth has to be a short term stop gap or else Curle's judgement in the transfer market would have to be questioned.

The 3-5-2 or similar has worked well for Curle in the past at this level, but it relied on 3 proper centre backs and two full-backs/wing-backs who could all be disciplined enough to defend.  What we had last night in the first half was two wide centre backs who played like full backs and two wing-backs who played like wingers.  Fage should be more attuned to the defensive side after last season but didn't show it last night, Stobbs just looks like a winger to me and not a player I'd trust defensively at wing-back.  If Curle genuinely has brought him in for the wing-back role then I'll be criticising his recruitment.

That said, while I see the merits of a proper back 5 with wing-backs done well, we should definitely go with 4-4-2 on Saturday.  The team we have needs a simple structure because I don't trust them to be disciplined by themselves.  The back four who finished last night would be good enough for Saturday.  Clarke and Piergianni as a centre back partnership and Hart at left back doesn't worry me much, Diarra does but at least he would be physical enough at right back alongside the other three.  Cisse and Whelan were better in the 2nd half when there was less emphasis to protect the defence, Adams and Bahamboula on the flanks would provide different useful threats.  Hope will be more effective in front two.  If Dearnley isn't fit then I'd have DKD as an out-and-out striker alongside Hope because, despite his flaws, he can finish.

As for Curle, the reason that I'm cutting him slack for last night is the same reason that I expect a big impact from him on Saturday.  If we can turn things around significantly when he's back in the dugout on Saturday then he can prove how influential he is to the team.  That said, more of the same and he rightly deserves to be slated.

Many of the earlier posts in this thread have accurately summed up last nights performance - a horror show in the first half, a slight improvement in the second half but ultimately a toothless, clueless, shambolic display from so many on the pitch.

One or two further observations:

Prior to the game, the squad were on the pitch following the usual pre-match drills. One routine comprised playing a short one-two with a coach with the player then taking a shot at a temporary goal defended by the young keeper. This played out directly in front of the Latics fans on the standing terrace.

It has to be said that the skills on display were atrocious. The majority of the players failing to strike the ball cleanly, often snatching at the shot or dragging the ball wide. At least two attempts sailed high and wide into the terraced houses at the back of the ground.

This lack of technical skill was amply demonstrated during the game with DKD (how bad was he last night?) scuffing one effort when in space on the edge of the area with Whelan following up the blocked shot by striking the ball high over the bar. And the effort on goal by Adams when unchallenged in the area was unbelievably poor in its execution.

The poor technique on show was also evident in the passing completion rate of a number of players - I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away during that abysmal first half. 

Add to this the fact that we were slow in possession and constantly outmuscled in the middle of the park.

The players were booed off at half time and again at the end of the game - and I am not sure they deserved any better.

The way the owners are ripping the soul out of the club means the standard of player at the club is approaching an all time low but the players have to at least demonstrate basic skills. They also have to shoulder a fair portion of the responsibility for the on pitch performance. 

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

They were just encouraging away attendance, rather than home, weren’t they?

Don’t recall them handing out song sheets..

Thought they were supposed to showcasing what fantastic support we have to prospective buyers, support the team not the regime and all that?

15 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

I guess there's no point harping on about HK no longer here , we have KC who I feel has built this side,  the signings are is, positive step been made on that front..His win ratio since taking over I believe is very poor, can we hold him accountable for last night?partly yes party no, but I expect nothing short of a win on Saturday or he can go for me.

Yep his win ratio is poor, I also thought we should have kept kewell but we have curle now. Saying u are ok if he goes after sat is a crazy comment. Every year when we have a totally new team it takes 10 games for them to settle, plus he hasn’t even been there to manage the games. Let’s see where we are 10-12 games in 

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Many of the earlier posts in this thread have accurately summed up last nights performance - a horror show in the first half, a slight improvement in the second half but ultimately a toothless, clueless, shambolic display from so many on the pitch.

Prior to the game, the squad were on the pitch following the usual pre-match drills. One routine comprised playing a short one-two with a coach with the player then taking a shot at a temporary goal defended by the young keeper. This played out directly in front of the Latics fans on the standing terrace.

It has to be said that the skills on display were atrocious. The majority of the players failing to strike the ball cleanly, often snatching at the shot or dragging the ball wide. At least two attempts sailed high and wide into the terraced houses at the back of the ground.

This lack of technical skill was amply demonstrated during the game with DKD (how bad was he last night?) scuffing one effort when in space on the edge of the area with Whelan following up the blocked shot by striking the ball high over the bar. And the effort on goal by Adams when unchallenged in the area was unbelievably poor in its execution.

The poor technique on show was also evident in the passing completion rate of a number of players - I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away during that abysmal first half. 

Add to this the fact that we were slow in possession and constantly outmuscled in the middle of the park.

The players were booed off at half time and again at the end of the game - and I am not sure they deserved any better.

The way the owners are ripping the soul out of the club means the standard of player at the club is approaching an all time low but the players have to at least demonstrate basic skills. They also have to shoulder a fair portion of the responsibility for the on pitch performance. 

We do need to scrap this playing out from our 6 yard box everytime we have a goalkick   it's all becoming very predictable, we just don't move the ball quickly enough for me and the ball normally ends up back with Carl who isn't technically gifted at all..we are not City,bloody oldham bottom of Div 2 

3 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Yep his win ratio is poor, I also thought we should have kept kewell but we have curle now. Saying u are ok if he goes after sat is a crazy comment. Every year when we have a totally new team it takes 10 games for them to settle, plus he hasn’t even been there to manage the games. Let’s see where we are 10-12 games in 

I don't like seeing any manager out on his ear and KC no different,  his saving grace for me is the fact that's he's at home isolating from his cold and not had direct involvement in 2 of the 3 defeats., comment bore out of frustration. 

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Thought they were supposed to showcasing what fantastic support we have to prospective buyers, support the team not the regime and all that?

Listen….when 286 fans travel to Bristol on a Tuesday night and are rewarded with a display such as that they have every right to vent their anger towards the players!

That performance last night was a disgrace and totally unacceptable!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Listen….when 286 fans travel to Bristol on a Tuesday night and are rewarded with a display such as that they have every right to vent their anger towards the players!

That performance last night was a disgrace and totally unacceptable!

It is August, the manager isn't even there, we haven't been able to get a settled team on the pitch yet, fans need to get a grip.

23 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

We do need to scrap this playing out from our 6 yard box everytime we have a goalkick   it's all becoming very predictable, we just don't move the ball quickly enough for me and the ball normally ends up back with Carl who isn't technically gifted at all..we are not City,bloody oldham bottom of Div 2 

In the second half, Rovers were pressing our defenders so Walker was kicking long - straight to their defenders and giving up possession.

I agree that tiki taka all the way is not going to work either, but we need a GK who can kick and somebody in the middle who can win an aerial battle for the alternative to work.

I can't think of a team that has had less strength and heading ability than this one.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It is August, the manager isn't even there, we haven't been able to get a settled team on the pitch yet, fans need to get a grip.

Fans need to get a grip…Jesus!!!!!

You’re right Curle wasn’t there but the 3 additions he brought in to assist him were….

Occasional poor performances are to be expected……..last nights effort was a total shambles!

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

BREEZE HILL

It's just like watching Beeze Hill

I have seen kids teams that would thrash these no hopers,

A disjointed and talentless,bottom of the football league team attempting to play out from the keeper at EVERY opportunity is a suicidal tactic.

We are led to believe that Curle builds his team upon a solid defensive foundation, no evidence of this so far.

I think  that Bahamboula ( whilst a decent player) is vastly overrated by our fans but as things stand,he is our only attacking threat.

We don't need 10 games to see what is blatantly obvious, relegation material is what we are witnessing.

Archived