MATCH: vs Rochdale (A) 25/09/21

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It never ceases to amaze me how shit this league is. Bar one or two games, we have been awful.

Truly awful. 

Win next week and we could jump 4/5/6 places.

Was thinking this earlier when looking at the table and wondering where Sutton had gone - they’re 14th now 

22 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Cant fault any of them. Diarra and fage got stuck in and broke their play. Pierrgianni and mcgahey are going to be massive for us. Repelled everythin. Couto should start every match. Clarke bahamboula did well. Dkd was a man possessed. His close control was great. His finish even better. But I have to say whelan for motm today. He covered every blade of grass. Got stuck in. Was passing well up top and defending at the corner flags. He was non stop grit and determination. That performance gives me hope. Apart from hope. Who needs to be left out. Hopefully we can ship 1 or 2 out in Jan and get a half decent striker then we will be fine

Whelan was by far mom yesterday. He was jumping and running around after DFD scored and the first to run to the fans. He was really pumped up. Totally agree with your summary. 

How they come to the conclusion that there were only 1518 of us their yesterday I don't know. Latics said 1600 had been sold on Wednesday, and pictures from the other side of the ground show the stand which holds 3600, 2/3 full.

1 minute ago, al_bro said:

Whelan was by far mom yesterday. He was jumping and running around after DFD scored and the first to run to the fans. He was really pumped up. Totally agree with your summary. 

How they come to the conclusion that there were only 1518 of us their yesterday I don't know. Latics said 1600 had been sold on Wednesday, and pictures from the other side of the ground show the stand which holds 3600, 2/3 full.

Whelan diving in to cut out their cross late on was so un Whelan it’s untrue 🤣

5 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

Good win. But I didn't hear or see any meaningful protest against the ownership yesterday, other than a few chants, from what I saw on social media. Can't help but think it was a missed opportunity especially with the prick of an owner in the fans line of sight.

There is a fine balance, you could spend all game protesting, it makes more sense to support the team and also protest, the owner will be well aware of the dislike of his regime does 90 minutes abuse make him any more aware? The fans got it right yesterday and the players will have appreciated the backing they received. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Our major problem is, we couldn't do what Rochdale did yesterday, in laying siege to our goal for the last 15-20 minutes of the game. We are just don't have the players to do it.

It’s worth remembering that yesterday we were without Squad players Rogers, Hart, Adams, Sheehan, Cisse, Hopcutt, Stobbs, Luamba through injury. I’m sure one or two of those will improve our on field performance (if they ever get back to fitness 🙄).

We saw the impact that McGahey had when the club finally managed to get him on the pitch.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Our major problem is, we couldn't do what Rochdale did yesterday, in laying siege to our goal for the last 15-20 minutes of the game. We are just don't have the players to do it.

I'm not sure it matters. The games we win will be similar to yesterday, I reckon. 

There were big indications there that we can defend (which is how Curle sets his team out, I think..) when our first-choice defence available.  I think our major problem is the fact we don't have a midfield to protect the defence.  Every time the defence got rid, the ball was coming straight back because the midfield weren't winning the second ball.

I think Bahamboula, DKD (who's on 1 in 5 for us, as it stands..) and Dearnley (when fit) will be clinical for us on the break and they're going to have to be because, as you say, we won't create many chances.

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'm not sure it matters. The games we win will be similar to yesterday, I reckon. 

There were big indications there that we can defend (which is how Curle sets his team out, I think..) when our first-choice defence available.  I think our major problem is the fact we don't have a midfield to protect the defence.  Every time the defence got rid, the ball was coming straight back because the midfield weren't winning the second ball.

I think Bahamboula, DKD (who's on 1 in 5 for us, as it stands..) and Dearnley (when fit) will be clinical for us on the break and they're going to have to be because, as you say, we won't create many chances.

Our problem is very simple. 

We have one. Just one senior striker at the club, and he’s a 1 in 5 man. (Dearnley doesn’t count. Because he might as well not be here.) 

I highly doubt that any other side in the football league is so bereft of strikers. Even for us- it’s astonishing mis- management of the squad. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We have one. Just one senior striker at the club, and he’s a 1 in 5 man. (Dearnley doesn’t count. Because he might as well not be here.) 

I highly doubt that any other side in the football league is so bereft of strikers. Even for us- it’s astonishing mis- management of the squad. 

We are bereft of strikers, but I'm not sure if we had any more we'd be creating many chances for them. 

Good rearguard performance from the back line, McGahey and Piergianni especially. Rochdale were a strange bunch; more interested in just popping the ball around than they were in scoring a goal. Said to my mate after about 15 minutes that there was no way Rochdale were going to score...

We should be okay if we can keep chipping away at it until we get more senior players fit. At least six still missing from the squad and the likes of hopcutt and stobbs would provide attacking options.

Reckon that come January,  curle will look to tweak things, especially up top. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

There's still Luamba, when he's fit though I've no idea.

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

We should be okay if we can keep chipping away at it until we get more senior players fit. At least six still missing from the squad and the likes of hopcutt and stobbs would provide attacking options.

Reckon that come January,  curle will look to tweak things, especially up top. 

Stones is another fly by night desperate roll of the dice on both parts, he’s shite and will never make it as a professional! 

Our new No.5 made a massive difference make no mistake. However, without the away crowd, and let’s say it was a game far away like Stevenage, we are held to a draw at the very best.

There is absolutely no presence up top and it will leave us hamstrung until January. If we can keep ourselves in the fight until then we might just have a chance at staying up.

I echo the sentiment that this League is terrible, it truly is. That’s what makes our previous shortcomings so frustrating. 

Hopcutt and Stobbs might offer a bit more going forward in the future. I think the former touched the ball 3 times against Bradford so no idea if he will be any good. Curle rates him as one of the best players on our books so i’ve been told…

13 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Our new No.5 made a massive difference make no mistake. However, without the away crowd, and let’s say it was a game far away like Stevenage, we are held to a draw at the very best.

There is absolutely no presence up top and it will leave us hamstrung until January. If we can keep ourselves in the fight until then we might just have a chance at staying up.

I echo the sentiment that this League is terrible, it truly is. That’s what makes our previous shortcomings so frustrating. 

Hopcutt and Stobbs might offer a bit more going forward in the future. I think the former touched the ball 3 times against Bradford so no idea if he will be any good. Curle rates him as one of the best players on our books so i’ve been told…

Hopcutt out for a while I heard.

A proper bugbear of mine, and it's not just Latics who are guilty of it, is teams dropping off when defending a lead and leaving nobody up top as an out ball. For about the last 15 minutes on Saturday we were clearing the ball straight back to Rochdale as we had no one up front to challenge or press it. Thankfully we defending excellently but it's so frustrating to watch 

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Judging by the brace on his knee, I'd be surprised to see him before Christmas 

Talking of braces, does anyone know who was the last Latics striker to score 2 goals in a league game?

Archived