MATCH: vs Rochdale (A) 25/09/21

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

I'm led to believe the offer from Burnley wasn't 500k up front but £250k up front and the rest to be paid later. We wanted all 500k up front and i think had Burnley agreed to that he'd have been gone.

That makes more sense. Still, why take out a loan for £300k when we could've probably squeezed Burnley for the same amount upfront? 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be a lot more than £300k.- as much as £1.35million.

I don't know the value- maybe someone on here does?

What we do know is that it is to be paid back from solidarity payments over 3 years.

Last year's 'core' solidarity payment was £450k so a presumed maximum would be 3x that.

Of course you might say it would be madness to borrow and spend such a large part of the next three year's income especially given the impact on team strength and wiping out any potential sales value at the end of the season.

It does smack of 'no more money for Mo's play thing'

1 minute ago, Longlostfan said:

It could be a lot more than £300k.- as much as £1.35million.

I don't know the value- maybe someone on here does?

What we do know is that it is to be paid back from solidarity payments over 3 years.

Last year's 'core' solidarity payment was £450k so a presumed maximum would be 3x that.

Of course you might say it would be madness to borrow and spend such a large part of the next three year's income especially given the impact on team strength and wiping out any potential sales value at the end of the season.

It does smack of 'no more money for Mo's play thing'

Although the EFL rules stated that a business plan had to be put forward for three years and the embargo would last for the same length of time if the loan was taken, the club told OASF that the loan was only until 2022. If that is the case then I would expect the embargo to end at the same time and the solidarity payment would cover the repayment of the loan.

@BP1960 The club have said Bowden and Bettache are on season long loans, but the loan rules state, a loanee can only be for 6 months. Mind you this is the club that signed two players on two year contracts when the same rules stated only one season was permitted. I am certain they hadn't a clue what they were signing up to when they took out the loan. They just saw free money that AL wouldn't have to find out of his pocket. Other clubs actually read the rules and were having none of it, except the real basket cases.

28 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Latics fans upset at not selling a good player. 
Strange times. 

I think it's more Latics fans questioning AL's motives, on the face of it, it could have been a way out of the embargo and move on with what we have until January. I may be wide of the mark here but I don't think Abdallah really has a plan. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic
13 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Strange times. 

Latics fans taking a pragmatic view of the clubs current predicament and wanting the club to make a decision for the long term benefit of the club rather than follow the populist route. Yeah interesting times.

42 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Latics fans taking a pragmatic view of the clubs current predicament and wanting the club to make a decision for the long term benefit of the club rather than follow the populist route. Yeah interesting times.

Quite.

Maybe the longer term perspective will be applied to other situations  and players won't be written off after 90 minutes.

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

But cashing in on Tarky sell on was bad, despite needing the money...

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

But cashing in on Tarky sell on was bad, despite needing the money...

Taking £500,000 for a youngster barely established vs selling a sell on clause for a guy already established at Brentford who went on to get an England cap?

the comparison is mute 

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

Taking £500,000 for a youngster barely established vs selling a sell on clause for a guy already established at Brentford who went on to get an England cap?

the comparison is mute 

Bold bit irrelevant. Hindsight. 

Guarantee if we'd sold him, be plenty saying joke selling him so soon, could have got more etc.

I'm glad we kept him

On 9/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, LaticsPete said:

Strange times. 

I'm just totally puzzled at taking out a loan that involves a suffocating embargo, one that's killing us (amongst other reasons), when we had a sensible alternative. Very strange decision that is sadly typical of why these really are strange times.

40 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Bold bit irrelevant. Hindsight. 

Guarantee if we'd sold him, be plenty saying joke selling him so soon, could have got more etc.

I'm glad we kept him

Are you also glad we are bottom of the league and under transfer embargo?

It's not exactly worked out for us has it. Selling Vaughan might have been a way out of this. Infact barring selling the club it appears to be Abdallahs only way out of this.

56 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I'm just totally puzzled at taking out a loan that involves a suffocating embargo, one that's killing us (amongst other reasons), when we had a sensible alternative. Very strange decision that is sadly typical of why these really are strange times.

Isn't this then suggesting that the loan is a lot larger than what we would've got for Vaughan?

So if we'd sold him, we'd be a player down we couldn't replace (because still under embargo, and any replacement's wage would be higher) and still not much closer to paying it off.

It would make sense in a way - I doubt we'd be going through all those embargo restrictions for the sake of £300k.

39 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Isn't this then suggesting that the loan is a lot larger than what we would've got for Vaughan?

So if we'd sold him, we'd be a player down we couldn't replace (because still under embargo, and any replacement's wage would be higher) and still not much closer to paying it off.

It would make sense in a way - I doubt we'd be going through all those embargo restrictions for the sake of £300k.

I think he means if AL is such a wealthy man why take a crippling loan?

7 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I guess the real reason is that the admin team at our club didn’t take time to read and understand the fairly simple rules and restrictions designed by the EFL to stop clubs simply taking the extra loans on and spending it on improving their team. 

My evidence for this statement being the contract cock up of signing 2 year deals with players who then couldn’t be played.

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

I guess the real reason is that the admin team at our club didn’t take time to read and understand the fairly simple rules and restrictions designed by the EFL to stop clubs simply taking the extra loans on and spending it on improving their team. 

My evidence for this statement being the contract cock up of signing 2 year deals with players who then couldn’t be played.

The terms of any such loan will have been reviewed by both financial and legal. The final say will be down to the CEO…

Archived