MATCH: vs Rochdale (A) 25/09/21

20 hours ago, Boyyou said:

We should be okay if we can keep chipping away at it until we get more senior players fit. At least six still missing from the squad and the likes of hopcutt and stobbs would provide attacking options.

Reckon that come January,  curle will look to tweak things, especially up top. 

Curle will have to ship a couple out to bring in a couple of strikers. The problem is, decent strikers aren't available in January and we could only be looking for players out of contract, who won't be fit enough for a while, or kids on loan.

Actually he will have to ship out a lot more more than two to make way for Vaughn, Luamba and DaSilva.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Curle will have to ship a couple out to bring in a couple of strikers. The problem is, decent strikers aren't available in January and we could only be looking for players out of contract, who won't be fit enough for a while, or kids on loan.

Actually he will have to ship out a lot more more than two to make way for Vaughn, Luamba and DaSilva.

Are the loanees on short term loans under the embargo?

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

A proper bugbear of mine, and it's not just Latics who are guilty of it, is teams dropping off when defending a lead and leaving nobody up top as an out ball. For about the last 15 minutes on Saturday we were clearing the ball straight back to Rochdale as we had no one up front to challenge or press it. Thankfully we defending excellently but it's so frustrating to watch 

Single worst thing about watching England in the past.  If they scored an early goal against half decent opposition, you felt they were more likely to lose than win.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I think the bigger problem is we have no one of value at the end of the season, anyone can leave on a free so the clowns will most likely sell anyone who can command a fee.

Then we go into next season with 22 newbies on £800 week max and repeat.

But hey he is 'happy with the financial arrangements'

3 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

I think the bigger problem is we have no one of value at the end of the season, anyone can leave on a free so the clowns will most likely sell anyone who can command a fee.

Then we go into next season with 22 newbies on £800 week max and repeat.

But hey he is 'happy with the financial arrangements'

Well Curle says we turned down half a mil from a premiership club (Burnley) preseason for one of our players.

30 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Well Curle says we turned down half a mil from a premiership club (Burnley) preseason for one of our players.

Seriously? We actually took out a crippling loan rather than sell a player (for £220k more than the loan)? 

He's a great prospect, but I hope this doesn't backfire.

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.

I intended to make a point about our players only have any value in the January window because they can all leave on a free at the end of the season- which they might want to because their wages here are capped until the end of monitored loan.

Ignoring the madness of crippling the team by taking the loan- it now makes sense to cash in January so don't get too optimistic about 'building'

A best case scenario (other than an orderly transition from clown land) would be sell one/ two of the emerging youth and or Bam for enough to clear the loan and actually start to build.

I fear a low value desperation fire sale, paying off some of the less able and then limping along with whats left.

I could be completely wrong and the football genius that is Mo is working a  cunning plan to blood a few of the youngsters and then sell them for millions with add ons to follow in January allowing clearance of the loan and reinvestment.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

500k for Vaughn, should have drove him there ! Money for nothing!

Yep, have to agree. I'm a fan, but it all seems a bit Mellor-esque. We turned down big money from Fulham for him and ended up letting him go on a free. Brainless to turn the offer down, especially in our current financial position and the fact Vaughan isn't in the side at the moment...

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Yep, have to agree. I'm a fan, but it all seems a bit Mellor-esque. We turned down big money from Fulham for him and ended up letting him go on a free. Brainless to turn the offer down, especially in our current financial position and the fact Vaughan isn't in the side at the moment...

I’m certain that your last point was made with your tongue firmly planted in you cheek…

Vaughan looks to be a special talent. Professional debut at 16 and still a boy in his physique. And that is the one thing that could determine his future - he needs to develop physically to reach the top - but he has time on his side.

Sadly though… Accepting an offer of 500k with a sell on clause would be the right thing to do given our precarious financial state.

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m certain that your last point was made with your tongue firmly planted in you cheek…

Vaughan looks to be a special talent. Professional debut at 16 and still a boy in his physique. And that is the one thing that could determine his future - he needs to develop physically to reach the top - but he has time on his side.

Sadly though… Accepting an offer of 500k with a sell on clause would be the right thing to do given our precarious financial state.

But as far as I'm aware we don't know how much the loan is so would that have paid it off?

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The figure being bandied around on Twitter is 350k but that could be pure supposition I suppose 😳

Well if that's right and the Vaughan number is right it's confirmation (if any were needed) of their bonkersness.

Or, alternatively - it is confirmation that they have no intention of putting an more money in and therefore there would have been no point selling an asset just so that the embargo would be lifted enabling investment into the squad.

I think I favour the latter explanation.

Obviously something not quite right here.

They will no doubt have a big sale in January, Vaughen, Couto, Bahamboula, pay the loan back to efl and recoup some money then walk away.

So they may do as we wish and go but they will sell off any player worth a fee first. Leaving us in big trouble.

4 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

They will no doubt have a big sale in January, Vaughen, Couto, Bahamboula, pay the loan back to efl and recoup some money then walk away.

So they may do as we wish and go but they will sell off any player worth a fee first. Leaving us in big trouble.

That's my guess.  Although it does suggest a level of business acumen and nous that has been entirely missing thus far.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

That's my guess.  Although it does suggest a level of business acumen and nous that has been entirely missing thus 

If I put myself in his shoes, I would do the same.

The club means nothing to him, he's not a fan or someone with links to it so he will do as suggested by the majority, but he will do it his way and to our detriment.

Maybe the wisest thing he will do during his tenure.

We will see alot more of these kids in the run up to January.

The likes of Couto and Vaughen will play higher levels of football so they need to be blooded to raise their values.

Bahamboula will go to a Salford, Bradford, Tranmere etc.

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

If I put myself in his shoes, I would do the same.

The club means nothing to him, he's not a fan or someone with links to it so he will do as suggested by the majority, but he will do it his way and to our detriment.

Maybe the wisest thing he will do during his tenure.

We will see alot more of these kids in the run up to January.

The likes of Couto and Vaughen will play higher levels of football so they need to be blooded to raise their values.

Bahamboula will go to a Salford, Bradford, Tranmere etc.

Was very surprised so little apparent interest in Bahamboula in the summer

27 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Won't get much for bahamboula as he can sign a contract with someone in January to move for free in summer. Plus as much as I love him, he's not set the world alight up to now. So any scout watching him without the legend feeling we have, will see him as a fancy player who doesn't have much else to offer in terms of assists/goals

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Won't get much for bahamboula as he can sign a contract with someone in January to move for free in summer. Plus as much as I love him, he's not set the world alight up to now. So any scout watching him without the legend feeling we have, will see him as a fancy player who doesn't have much else to offer in terms of assists/goals

This. 

Also Couto won’t bring in much as a scholar not under contract. Need to sign him up I think.

Archived