Relegation.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fans like hope and expectation, I saw this in 1960 with the signing of Bobby Johnstone who captured the imagination with his reputation of a brilliant footballer.

Macclesfield fans feel something similar with a big personality like Robbie Savage and Wrexham with the Hollywood connection.

This is what's needed now to revive Latics, we need to find someone to relight the fire from its ashes. There must be someone out there to bring back that Bobby Johnstone/Joe Royle factor.

Relight my fire, blimey you must be thinking of Mark Owen from Take That, born and educated in Oldham. Played football for Chadderton F.C. must have connections with pots of dosh folk like Robby. Bring on the song titles!

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.O.JONES said:

Relight my fire, blimey you must be thinking of Mark Owen from Take That, born and educated in Oldham. Played football for Chadderton F.C. must have connections with pots of dosh folk like Robby. Bring on the song titles!

ground full of post menapausal  take that fans lord no 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Lots think relegation is the end, and we’ll never come back. I totally disagree with that, if/when AL go the feel good factor will come back. If (and this crucial to any club) we start winning games, in whatever league the crowds will come back. 

People then say- yeah yeah, we said that each time when we went down. But what people always neglect is that each relegation was followed by more dross and stagnation. We are least successful club in England, is it any wonder people have drifted???? 

Give us new owners, and something to get behind or a promotion and I absolutely guarantee fans would come flocking back. 

Just like Stockport. 

Just like Chesterfield. 

Just like Lincoln

1. if/when AL go the feel good factor will come back.

Loads said anyone but Corney and when he is gone we'll come back, so just ALMO leaving doesn't guarantee this.

2. If (and this crucial to any club) we start winning games, in whatever league the crowds will come back. 

So that could happen in League 2 under ALMO?

3. Give us new owners, and something to get behind or a promotion and I absolutely guarantee fans would come flocking back. 

They didn't flock back after Corney. Its all about winning games. That's the only thing bringing people back.

If the trust owned and ran the club, or someone else, and we were getting beat every week because we were skint, how do you think the feel good factor would be then? 

55 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Stockport and Macclesfield are very marketable assets. Wealthy populations in towns with a strong identify and sense of self. The resident population are happy to associate themselves with the town and the kudos of supporting the local club sits well with them. Easy to pull in sponsors.

On a not dissimilar basis, this is exactly why Brentford, AFC Wimbledon and Fulham have been able to rise very quickly from a low base.

Oldham on the other hand has none of these attributes….

Stockport is not a wealthy town and their fanbase are very much from the working class end of social scale its very much like Oldham's. A new wealthy owner has come in and the fanbase has bought into his vision

2 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

both stockport and chesterfield had had some rescent sustained success before theyre fall from grace trips to Wembley promotions etc so had a stock of good will and good memories to exploit to bring fans in .we on the other hand other than scousers and fulham in the FA cup have had fuck all for at least 20 years none of which has been sustained the Town of oldham has pretty much forgotten us now as per our rl team both of whom are down to the die hards who are saddly not enough to sustain us .

Which is exactly what I’m saying. . 

IF AL goes. . 

and 

IF we start wining consistently and get a promotion behind us- the fans will be back. 

If we carry on losing- then it is stating the obvious-  the large numbers won’t return. 

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Stockport is not a wealthy town and their fanbase are very much from the working class end of social scale its very much like Oldham's. A new wealthy owner has come in and the fanbase has bought into his vision

The national indices of multiple deprivation have Stockport ranked 136 out of some 350

Boroughs in the country - ie in the 38% least deprived areas in the country. Above average wealth in other words.

there is a growing trend of teams in wealthy areas coming good and teams in deprived areas losing ground. 

Lots of southern examples (as you would expect) - Forest Green, Brentford, Bournemouth, Exeter and some emerging northern ones. There are exceptions of course. 

I went to Altrincham the other night. Over 4K there and a far better experience than BP. I also went to Halifax (2nd in the conference and in a relatively poor area) and there was only 1600 there with seemingly little appetite for the town to get behind the team 

On a bigger scale compare the trajectory of bristol city with Preston or Blackburn. Bristol city regularly packing in 20k having never really had a fan base. Blackburn struggling to get 13k despite being top 4 in the champ. 

there are other things at play but it’s a pattern I am observing 

Oldham is in the 5 % most deprived FYI. 

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Current Latics theme song 'The road to nowhere'.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

1. if/when AL go the feel good factor will come back.

Loads said anyone but Corney and when he is gone we'll come back, so just ALMO leaving doesn't guarantee this.

2. If (and this crucial to any club) we start winning games, in whatever league the crowds will come back. 

So that could happen in League 2 under ALMO?

3. Give us new owners, and something to get behind or a promotion and I absolutely guarantee fans would come flocking back. 

They didn't flock back after Corney. Its all about winning games. That's the only thing bringing people back.

If the trust owned and ran the club, or someone else, and we were getting beat every week because we were skint, how do you think the feel good factor would be then? 

What do you mean they didn’t flock back under Corney?? Do you mean when he took over on his own- and we finished 17th ever year. . . Er. .no. . they won’t back for that will they?? 

A better barometer would be celebration Sunday. 

New owners.

Uplift in fans- intrigue/renewed hope. 

We ultimately didn’t capitalise on that with any success.

Fans fade away. 

New owners this time will bring some die hards back- but without wining football/promotion to supplement that the casual fan won’t return. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

You surely see after 30 years without a promotion you see the scepticism that we'll come back?

It's not just a case of removing the owners.  It's appointing the right owners, who then have an easy run of getting thing sorted.  And tapping into dormant support (that I'm not convinced even exists)..

I hope you're right, because it does look like we're going to find out what the result of dropping out of the football league will be.  If the ducks line up - there's half a chance that your scenario might play out.  The chances are they won't though - it's literally blind hope.

There is literally not one shred of evidence that suggests dropping out of the league will improve things long term.  While the asset of staying in the Football League might encourage the Lemsegams to stay, it equally might put investors off if it's no longer there.

Surely you see that’s it’s easy to think this way when we are literally the shittest and least successful professional football club in the country?

I don’t blame you for not having any hope- we get beat- a lot- we get relegated- and never bounce back to reinvigorate the fanbase.

But.

It doesn’t mean- we’ll never ever win games again.  

Can you imagine what being top of any league in March feels like? No, neither can I, but I’d imagine it must feel pretty good. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What do you mean they didn’t flock back under Corney?? Do you mean when he took over on his own- and we finished 17th ever year. . . Er. .no. . they won’t back for that will they?? 

New owners.

Fans fade away. 

New owners this time will bring some die hards back- but without wining football/promotion to supplement that the casual fan won’t return. 

Wasn’t celebration Sunday nearly 20 years ago and a mere 10 years after our prem days when there was still a sense of connection to the club amongst the thousands that attended in the early 90s.

what sort of crowd would celebration Sunday pull in today? 5k tops I’d guess. That’s ok. It’s what we have to work with. But I don’t expect fans to flock back in significant numbers 

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Wasn’t celebration Sunday nearly 20 years ago and a mere 10 years after our prem days when there was still a sense of connection to the club amongst the thousands that attended in the early 90s.

what sort of crowd would celebration Sunday pull in today? 5k tops I’d guess. That’s ok. It’s what we have to work with. But I don’t expect fans to flock back in significant numbers 

Agreed. 

I was just using it as example of new owners without success, not as barometer of expected crowd numbers. 

If we got going again, I think 5k is realistic. 

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Not really any indication of next season as the only contracted players we have are the kids who will probably be sold. When we pitch up in the NL it will be yet another collection of one season contract dross. We'd struggle. Badly. 

Also our budget would be lower end National League 

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

New owners.

Fans fade away. 

I said after Corney, not under him. They didn't flock back when ALMO came in. If we'd have been winning games they would but a new owner doesn't mean people will flock back.

Celebration Sunday is one game and it was a quid in. You can't use one game as a guide, especially with how long ago that was 

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A better barometer would be celebration Sunday

New owners.

Fans fade away. 

Don’t forget that was free entry 

The town is too deprived to support a professional foitball club. The serial lack of success has meant that there is little chance of former fans returning in their thousands. Most up and coming clubs are from affluent areas where there is disposable income and investors willing to invest in a local asset.Most people in Oldham haven't a clue what is going on at Latics or care,they are more interested in Premiership football more often than not from their armchairs.Finally,  we have a council that cannot/will not  give the club any support and local MPs that see no votes in supporting Latics.

17 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I said after Corney, not under him. They didn't flock back when ALMO came in. If we'd have been winning games they would but a new owner doesn't mean people will flock back.

Celebration Sunday is one game and it was a quid in. You can't use one game as a guide, especially with how long ago that was 

You seem to be arguing with yourself? 

I think we agree. 

Crowds haven’t come back under blitz/gazal/Corney then Corney then AL- Because under these owners we don’t win football matches.

That doesn’t mean that the next owner will get it wrong, or that we will never win again. Do you think if we were top of the conference or top of national north no one would bother? 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think we agree. 

Crowds haven’t come back under blitz/gazal/Corney then Corney then AL- Because under these owners we don’t win football matches.

That doesn’t mean that the next owner will get it wrong, or that we will never win again. Do you think if we were top of the conference or top of national north no one would bother? 

Serious question: are you going to change your name to League none forever when we do go down? 😀

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I think we agree. 

If we are winning, fans will come back. They won't for any other reason

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think we agree. 

We had 2 or 3 good seasons under Corney 2007-09 and barely got 6,000 then 

3 hours ago, Andy b said:

The national indices of multiple deprivation have Stockport ranked 136 out of some 350

Boroughs in the country - ie in the 38% least deprived areas in the country. Above average wealth in other words.

there is a growing trend of teams in wealthy areas coming good and teams in deprived areas losing ground. 

Lots of southern examples (as you would expect) - Forest Green, Brentford, Bournemouth, Exeter and some emerging northern ones. There are exceptions of course. 

I went to Altrincham the other night. Over 4K there and a far better experience than BP. I also went to Halifax (2nd in the conference and in a relatively poor area) and there was only 1600 there with seemingly little appetite for the town to get behind the team 

On a bigger scale compare the trajectory of bristol city with Preston or Blackburn. Bristol city regularly packing in 20k having never really had a fan base. Blackburn struggling to get 13k despite being top 4 in the champ. 

there are other things at play but it’s a pattern I am observing 

Oldham is in the 5 % most deprived FYI. 

I didn't realise that about Stockport I imagine Bramhall and other affluent parts on the outskirts of the town pump up the average. Although again I'm putting their upturn in attendances more down to a guy buying into the club.

The general trend in footballs powerbase has been moving away from Northern Towns to southern cities has been going on for decades its nothing new in that respect.

I would argue though if an owner comes in and invests then you will see an upturn in both support and people will get behind it if it's done over a sustained period of time.

2 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

The town is too deprived to support a professional foitball club. The serial lack of success has meant that there is little chance of former fans returning in their thousands. Most up and coming clubs are from affluent areas where there is disposable income and investors willing to invest in a local asset.Most people in Oldham haven't a clue what is going on at Latics or care,they are more interested in Premiership football more often than not from their armchairs.Finally,  we have a council that cannot/will not  give the club any support and local MPs that see no votes in supporting Latics.

This is simply nonsense see below. Most of those towns have professional football clubs including Premier league Burnley which is the second most deprived town in the UK they support a Premier league football club. The affluence of the town or lack of it is a headwind but its not fatal and shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Britain's most deprived towns

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

I didn't realise that about Stockport I imagine Bramhall and other affluent parts on the outskirts of the town pump up the average. Although again I'm putting their upturn in attendances more down to a guy buying into the club.

The general trend in footballs powerbase has been moving away from Northern Towns to southern cities has been going on for decades its nothing new in that respect.

I would argue though if an owner comes in and invests then you will see an upturn in both support and people will get behind it if it's done over a sustained period of time.

Forest Green exist on owners money, they couldn't survive on vicinity crowds. The danger with them and other clubs like Fleetwood is what happens when their owners leave?

This is why I prefer a local consortium rather than one person taking over.

Archived