Relegation.

Another problem in being relegated, is that we would become a real target for the smaller clubs to be motivated to beat. Their managers would be telling the players they can beat an ex PL club in what would be a big stadium for them. Bouncing straight back up, even with new owners with money, wouldn't be easy. The longer the club stays in the NL, the harder it would be to get back. Clubs like Wrexham and Halifax found that out. They didn't find owners with cash either. Wrexham have been very lucky now, but how long will it last for them.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Another problem in being relegated, is that we would become a real target for the smaller clubs to be motivated to beat. Their managers would be telling the players they can beat an ex PL club in what would be a big stadium for them. Bouncing straight back up, even with new owners with money, wouldn't be easy. The longer the club stays in the NL, the harder it would be to get back. Clubs like Wrexham and Halifax found that out. They didn't find owners with cash either. Wrexham have been very lucky now, but how long will it last for them.

All true but for me the damage done to our club will take years to repair. Off the pitch the whole set up needs overhauling, on the pitch we need an entire new squad. There is no way we can bounce back in one season without new owners with deep pockets and forward thinking. If we go down, we will be down for a while. For me, the future is not a rosey one

35 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I really cannot see that being the case. Oldham have not been a 'Scalp' for many a year now. Ex Premier League in history, maybe, but currently a million miles away from that lofty status. I'm unsure about Wrexham and how quickly Ryan and Rob will get bored or run out of funding.

4 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

All true but for me the damage done to our club will take years to repair. Off the pitch the whole set up needs overhauling, on the pitch we need an entire new squad. There is no way we can bounce back in one season without new owners with deep pockets and forward thinking. If we go down, we will be down for a while. For me, the future is not a rosey one

The post from the Stockport fan is 100% a reality and although I agree with his philosophy of trying to support/back the team to winning ways, I'm afraid the two fuckwits in charge have drained every ounce of belief that it would come to any good, simply because it will keep them at the club.

It's a no-win situation for the club and its fans.
It's not going to end well.

I’m a season ticket holder and have been attending apart from the Forest Green match.

I’m in two minds about starving the club of support and therefore cash. The consequence of that will be the sale of Vaughan and Couto before we can benefit from them on the pitch. Al/Mo will no doubt need cash and if it’s not coming through the gates then they’ll be sorely tempted to sell assets, an inevitable consequence, if undesirable.

53 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I’m a season ticket holder and have been attending apart from the Forest Green match.

I’m in two minds about starving the club of support and therefore cash. The consequence of that will be the sale of Vaughan and Couto before we can benefit from them on the pitch. Al/Mo will no doubt need cash and if it’s not coming through the gates then they’ll be sorely tempted to sell assets, an inevitable consequence, if undesirable.

Wow Stainrod.  When in the past 20 years have we ever kept a good player. It’s a nearly new team every year.  If you hope to keep 2 young and interestingly to watch players by attending matches, instead of trying to get rid of the owners who are ripping up our club, then IMO you are mistaken.  The lads will go soon whatever you do, and we will still have these clowns in charge.  

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Corney and Blitz delivered on what they originally said they would do I.e. fully redevelop Boundary Park and got us to the championship then we would have sailed over the 7000 average mark no problem. We didn't take those next steps and we'll the rest is a history of false dawns.

Yes Corney and Blitz are certainly culpable in leaving us in our current plight,able to just keep the show on the road as they managed our decline.

19 hours ago, Pidge said:

Wow Stainrod.  When in the past 20 years have we ever kept a good player. It’s a nearly new team every year.  If you hope to keep 2 young and interestingly to watch players by attending matches, instead of trying to get rid of the owners who are ripping up our club, then IMO you are mistaken.  The lads will go soon whatever you do, and we will still have these clowns in charge.  

True. Crewe bring youth players through but keep them for a while before selling them on for big money. If they go to a PL or CL side, they will go back into u23 football, which neither want to do. They have tasted 1st. team football and want to carry on. They may be allowed to stay on loan for the rest of the season if we are lucky.

31 minutes ago, al_bro said:

True. Crewe bring youth players through but keep them for a while before selling them on for big money. If they go to a PL or CL side, they will go back into u23 football, which neither want to do. They have tasted 1st. team football and want to carry on. They may be allowed to stay on loan for the rest of the season if we are lucky.

They'd be more likely to be loaned to a proper club. 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:03 PM, Stainrod said:

They’ll sell them regardless…. We need them gone. Starving them of anymore income - and by that I mean renewing your season ticket for 2022/23 - has to be the way forward….

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Still be plenty of renewals

I'm not sure about that, I genuinely feel we have reached the tipping point. I have no doubt the "older end" of the St holders will still renew in the main. But the clubs recent disastrous banning of 3 supporters will have galvanised the younger generation. 

If you have an axe to grind with the current owners but still buy a season ticket, what is to stop the club repeating this action. 

We need to force the owner to put the club up for sale before we sink into oblivion. 

What I think we should do is the following:

Pick two local teams, say Salford and Rochdale and create our own imaginary mini League.

Target winning that League whatever the cost; whatever the odds.

We are currently 9 points adrift and they have games in hand. 

It will serve to:

A. Take our minds off relegation

B. Establish some local pride

I do not care who we get in the window. Age is also irrelevant. As long as those that come in give us a good shout at scoring more than our opponents; we are incapable of being anywhere near that at the moment, especially as both Barrow and Hartlepool gave us a defiant "i dare you to".

We bottled it.

8 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

What I think we should do is the following:

Pick two local teams, say Salford and Rochdale and create our own imaginary mini League.

Target winning that League whatever the cost; whatever the odds.

We are currently 9 points adrift and they have games in hand. 

It will serve to:

A. Take our minds off relegation

B. Establish some local pride

I do not care who we get in the window. Age is also irrelevant. As long as those that come in give us a good shout at scoring more than our opponents; we are incapable of being anywhere near that at the moment, especially as both Barrow and Hartlepool gave us a defiant "i dare you to".

We bottled it.

The only target we have is to finish above two others.

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The only target we have is to finish above two others.

Agreed. However, when it starts getting overly strategic and we start playing for a draw...here and a draw there, we will invariably shoot ourselves in the foot.

Target teams that are to all intents and purposes unlikely to go down. If we finish two points shy of them, we should be clear of relegation anyway.

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Agreed. However, when it starts getting overly strategic and we start playing for a draw...here and a draw there, we will invariably shoot ourselves in the foot.

Target teams that are to all intents and purposes unlikely to go down. If we finish two points shy of them, we should be clear of relegation anyway.

Looking at the Hartlepool highlights we were lucky to get the draw, with better finishing we should have been buried out of sight.

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

I wouldn't worry about this club over strategising....

7 hours ago, mick26 said:

Just watching Grimsby v Halifax and they both look better than us. Mind you they've both got decent managers!

I know there's a long way to go in their promotion race, but Wild taking Halifax into the EFL at our expense would sum up the Lemsagam era in a nutshell.

All that matters is us staying up..yes I left last night at 4-0 and I can't remember the last time I did this .. as it stands we are in trouble... everyone around us are strengthening we aren't doing ... stagnant this is the most important transfer window for a very long and the only player we seem to be linked with is another over the hill forward and th4n losing out to a rising star from rangers... 

There are no developments off the pitch, in which to improve matters on it.

The owner has proven time and time again that he is inept, and is a million miles away from what football club ownership should be.

The team have also proved that they are nowhere near good enough. Not even for the next league down never mind this one.

We have already lost 11 league and cup games at home, and only won 4 in total.

The club is a shambles from top to bottom.

Does anyone expect a saviour to come charging over the horizon any time soon ?

Miracles, and lots of snookers already required.

This relegation battle is different to others ignoring the fact that the drop is not in to league 2 but out of the football league..

It's the feel of the whole thing thats different for me this time..

In previous relegation battles I was convinced we would get it right, there was a sense of togetherness with the fans and  belief that we would find a way some how..

I don't feel that this time.. I've been utterly convinced that what ever we do will not be enough since the loss at Salford..

Add to that the pitch invasions, heavy handed stewarding, the banning orders, the false claims of racism, the fact our owner can't be bothered to be in the country, the fact  we're still under an embargo and our landlord and owner are due to meet each other in court..

It's the absolute worst it has ever been..

but if anyone has a spare for harrogate give us a shout👍🏻

4 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

This relegation battle is different to others ignoring the fact that the drop is not in to league 2 but out of the football league..

It's the feel of the whole thing thats different for me this time..

In previous relegation battles I was convinced we would get it right, there was a sense of togetherness with the fans and  belief that we would find a way some how..

I don't feel that this time.. I've been utterly convinced that what ever we do will not be enough since the loss at Salford..

Add to that the pitch invasions, heavy handed stewarding, the banning orders, the false claims of racism, the fact our owner can't be bothered to be in the country, the fact  we're still under an embargo and our landlord and owner are due to meet each other in court..

It's the absolute worst it has ever been..

but if anyone has a spare for harrogate give us a shout👍🏻

I agree. It also feels like the club don’t care about relegation. There is no attempt at all to communicate with or galvanise the fan base. Just a club doing the bare minimum to get by administratively.

Archived