Relegation.

3 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Will join the dots up for you 

Both clubs have recently been promoted to the Football League 

Neither have wealthy owners, like the Salford Citys of this world

Neither are ‘big clubs’

This is as close a test for us of how we might compete against teams from the National League 

(no offence intended to either Barrow or Hartlepool) 

They are clubs that were well enough run recently to get promotion.  No comparison to be made; if we drop a division and these owners stay around then there is zero possibility that we will be one of the better run clubs in that league.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He told them in the winter that he wouldn't be staying if there would be a reduction in wages. Source - the horses mouth.

So in effect offering him less Money showed they didn’t really want him…same thing really, would you take a drop in money at your present job!

Keeping him at the club should have been a priority……just one of a host of crazy decisions these 🤡🤡’s have made since coming here!!!

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So in effect offering him less Money showed they didn’t really want him…same thing really, would you take a drop in money at your present job!

Keeping him at the club should have been a priority……just one of a host of crazy decisions these 🤡🤡’s have made since coming here!!!

Not sure it ever got to the stage of making an offer, he was obviously on L1 wages and they weren't going to give him those in L2. Although they were panicked into doing so a few months with Wheater...

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They are clubs that were well enough run recently to get promotion.  No comparison to be made; if we drop a division and these owners stay around then there is zero possibility that we will be one of the better run clubs in that league.

Of course there is a comparison to be made 

This isnt about the balance sheet or commercial controls 

These two games will evidence our capabilities on the pitch and of the likelihood of our players and coaching staff being able to get us away from the relegation slots

Additionally an indicator of how tough life in the National League will be 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure it ever got to the stage of making an offer, he was obviously on L1 wages and they weren't going to give him those in L2. Although they were panicked into doing so a few months with Wheater...

And look how that panned out!!😂

13 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Of course there is a comparison to be made 

This isnt about the balance sheet or commercial controls 

These two games will evidence our capabilities on the pitch and of the likelihood of our players and coaching staff being able to get us away from the relegation slots

Additionally an indicator of how tough life in the National League will be 

Not really any indication of next season as the only contracted players we have are the kids who will probably be sold. When we pitch up in the NL it will be yet another collection of one season contract dross. We'd struggle. Badly. 

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not really any indication of next season as the only contracted players we have are the kids who will probably be sold. When we pitch up in the NL it will be yet another collection of one season contract dross. We'd struggle. Badly. 

Agreed. There really is no comparison here.

FGR also recently promoted. Top of the League and they hit us for 5 irrespective of how many we scored.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, C.O.JONES said:

It was Vaughan who passed the ball to Couto for the goal.

Harry is a good prospect but at he moment he needs to find more space than he does, that will come in time, but not here.

Now that we are staring into the abyss something needs to happen before it is to late for the club that we support. We keeping getting told that people want to step in and buy the club surely now is the time before it is to late will they show the colour of there money or is it just somebodies imagination.

1 minute ago, kev1970 said:

Now that we are staring into the abyss something needs to happen before it is to late for the club that we support. We keeping getting told that people want to step in and buy the club surely now is the time before it is to late will they show the colour of there money or is it just somebodies imagination.

You are right .  BUT  the owner has show no desire whatsover to sell.

1 hour ago, kev1970 said:

It’s not imagination Kev, or anything to do with the colour of their money. 

It’s just the difference between what interested parties are willing to pay, and AL will accept. No sane person would give 6 million for a badge with no assets. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Spot on. 

Lots think relegation is the end, and we’ll never come back. I totally disagree with that, if/when AL go the feel good factor will come back. If (and this crucial to any club) we start winning games, in whatever league the crowds will come back. 

People then say- yeah yeah, we said that each time when we went down. But what people always neglect is that each relegation was followed by more dross and stagnation. We are least successful club in England, is it any wonder people have drifted???? 

Give us new owners, and something to get behind or a promotion and I absolutely guarantee fans would come flocking back. 

Just like Stockport. 

Just like Chesterfield. 

Just like Lincoln

5 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Can't say I know the details but the big difference is the ground. Ours is close to derelict. Who is going to bring that up to scratch? 

Imo. Short term goal for next 5 months is we fight to keep our EFL status. 

We think about the staff employed and off the pitch and the losses we do drop to jobs, OACT, Academy, local business the town in general

Whilst we look at ways of sorting out an exit strategy for both owner and landlord.

I don't think anyone has all the answers and I respect all those who have difficult choices on how they want to support too.

It's a mess on many levels and it's only us that will suffer and only us that can attempt to sort it and be ready the best we can.

In my opinion, we become hhe 12th man and roar these buggers on the pitch. Its on the hands of those players

14 minutes ago, underdog said:

Imo. Short term goal for next 5 months is we fight to keep our EFL status. 

We think about the staff employed and off the pitch and the losses we do drop to jobs, OACT, Academy, local business the town in general

Whilst we look at ways of sorting out an exit strategy for both owner and landlord.

I don't think anyone has all the answers and I respect all those who have difficult choices on how they want to support too.

It's a mess on many levels and it's only us that will suffer and only us that can attempt to sort it and be ready the best we can.

In my opinion, we become hhe 12th man and roar these buggers on the pitch. Its on the hands of those players

Hi Tracy, 

may I ask what the foundation’s position is on ‘an exit strategy’ for the owner and landlord. What is it proactively doing to develop an implement a plan?

at present all I see are statements expressing concern, worry, objection, dissatisfaction etc etc which appear to just duplicate what PTB are saying / doing. 

it needs to move beyond this 

thanks

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

Lots think relegation is the end, and we’ll never come back. I totally disagree with that, if/when AL go the feel good factor will come back. If (and this crucial to any club) we start winning games, in whatever league the crowds will come back. 

People then say- yeah yeah, we said that each time when we went down. But what people always neglect is that each relegation was followed by more dross and stagnation. We are least successful club in England, is it any wonder people have drifted???? 

Give us new owners, and something to get behind or a promotion and I absolutely guarantee fans would come flocking back. 

Just like Stockport. 

Just like Chesterfield. 

Just like Lincoln

Add Macclesfield to that list. They had four and a half thousand there against Winsford recently. In the Robbie Savage documentary it showed that the new owner invested heavily in the pitch and getting the stadium up to scratch. Macc now have a community asset and a winning team and fans are voting with their feet. County had 8,000 last week. Wherever we might fall to, if and when we start winning again, the fans will come back. 

Spot on. 

Just like Stockport. 

Just like Chesterfield. 

Just like Lincoln

both stockport and chesterfield had had some rescent sustained success before theyre fall from grace trips to Wembley promotions etc so had a stock of good will and good memories to exploit to bring fans in .we on the other hand other than scousers and fulham in the FA cup have had fuck all for at least 20 years none of which has been sustained the Town of oldham has pretty much forgotten us now as per our rl team both of whom are down to the die hards who are saddly not enough to sustain us .

Where is the uplift in supporters going to come from 

We havent averaged over 5000 for Home attendances since 2008/09

A Q&A a couple of years ago the question was asked what our Home attendances need to average to break even 

It was 6000 

Spot on. 

Just like Stockport. 

Just like Chesterfield. 

Just like Lincoln

You surely see after 30 years without a promotion you see the scepticism that we'll come back?

It's not just a case of removing the owners.  It's appointing the right owners, who then have an easy run of getting thing sorted.  And tapping into dormant support (that I'm not convinced even exists)..

I hope you're right, because it does look like we're going to find out what the result of dropping out of the football league will be.  If the ducks line up - there's half a chance that your scenario might play out.  The chances are they won't though - it's literally blind hope.

There is literally not one shred of evidence that suggests dropping out of the league will improve things long term.  While the asset of staying in the Football League might encourage the Lemsegams to stay, it equally might put investors off if it's no longer there.

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

You surely see after 30 years without a promotion you see the scepticism that we'll come back?

It's not just a case of removing the owners.  It's appointing the right owners, who then have an easy run of getting thing sorted.  And tapping into dormant support (that I'm not convinced even exists)..

I hope you're right, because it does look like we're going to find out what the result of dropping out of the football league will be.  If the ducks line up - there's half a chance that your scenario might play out.  The chances are they won't though - it's literally blind hope.

There is literally not one shred of evidence that suggests dropping out of the league will improve things long term.  While the asset of staying in the Football League might encourage the Lemsegams to stay, it equally might put investors off if it's no longer there.

Stockport and Macclesfield are very marketable assets. Wealthy populations in towns with a strong identify and sense of self. The resident population are happy to associate themselves with the town and the kudos of supporting the local club sits well with them. Easy to pull in sponsors.

On a not dissimilar basis, this is exactly why Brentford, AFC Wimbledon and Fulham have been able to rise very quickly from a low base.

Oldham on the other hand has none of these attributes….

42 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Add Macclesfield to that list. They had four and a half thousand there against Winsford recently. In the Robbie Savage documentary it showed that the new owner invested heavily in the pitch and getting the stadium up to scratch. Macc now have a community asset and a winning team and fans are voting with their feet. County had 8,000 last week. Wherever we might fall to, if and when we start winning again, the fans will come back. 

Fans like hope and expectation, I saw this in 1960 with the signing of Bobby Johnstone who captured the imagination with his reputation of a brilliant footballer.

Macclesfield fans feel something similar with a big personality like Robbie Savage and Wrexham with the Hollywood connection.

This is what's needed now to revive Latics, we need to find someone to relight the fire from its ashes. There must be someone out there to bring back that Bobby Johnstone/Joe Royle factor.

Archived