BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 24th Jan '22 Episode 68: SHEZ!!!

Shez is back, we speak to Tony Carss about it and discuss; is the boycott over...for now?

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 24th Jan '22 Episode 68: SHEZ!!!

How about a big media campaign to get a bumper gate next Saturday for the Rochdale game?

Paid for space in the Oldham Times and Manchester Evening News (there's lots of fans who live outside Oldham) about 'Shezurrection', also TV and radio input.

I remember the Bobby Johnstone impact of 1960 when on his debut the attendance shot up from 4000 to 17,000, that feel good factor resulted in a major upturn in the teams fortunes. If AL could pay off the embargo and a couple of quality players brought in this  would show he too means business.

People love to rally round a cause, let's make this a big one.

It was another very interesting listen.

Speaking as an outsider, I'm not entirely sure how much your situation has changed, even if Sheridan is something of a folk hero. How different would that conversation of been had the appointment been (for example) Ian Holloway?

I suspect that the appointment of a man who means so much to you all is a calculated one, and while I hope it is a good calculation, it will only be that if he has some leeway to change things for the better. And with little over a week to go until the window shuts, and a transfer embargo still in place, I think his wriggle room is very limited. But I don't watch the team every week, and I certainly don't have first hand knowledge of what Sheridan can do.  I just feel he is very much up against it. The key word in that Pod for me was "reactive", and welcome though the two major developments since Christmas may be , they both look as though they have been induced by panic, as much as anything else (If you finish 22nd, feel free to rub my nose in that statement). 

Part of the issue is that your problems have two distinct dimensions to them. The first, and immediate one, is the need to somehow stay up. That boat hasn't sailed yet, even though you are in a deep hole. And bringing in an experienced man who knows the club seems logical enough.

But the second dimension is around the direction that the club is heading in, and the underlying plan and philosophy that is going to steer you through the next 3-5 years. I don't see that coming from the existing ownership, and whilst Sheridan may be a sticking plaster over obvious wounds, the club really needs open-heart surgery, if everything I've read and heard from you all is even 50% accurate.

I don't envy you your dilemma. If 80% of boycotters really do want to go back, there may not be much point in trying to turn back the tide, for now. But as Adam says, the process of preparing and delivering the club for sale at a realistic price  will be the key test of whether the existing owner and his Board of Directors are behaving in good faith, or just stringing you all along in an attempt to buy time.

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

It was another very interesting listen.

Speaking as an outsider, I'm not entirely sure how much your situation has changed, even if Sheridan is something of a folk hero. How different would that conversation of been had the appointment been (for example) Ian Holloway?

I suspect that the appointment of a man who means so much to you all is a calculated one, and while I hope it is a good calculation, it will only be that if he has some leeway to change things for the better. And with little over a week to go until the window shuts, and a transfer embargo still in place, I think his wriggle room is very limited. But I don't watch the team every week, and I certainly don't have first hand knowledge of what Sheridan can do.  I just feel he is very much up against it. The key word in that Pod for me was "reactive", and welcome though the two major developments since Christmas may be , they both look as though they have been induced by panic, as much as anything else (If you finish 22nd, feel free to rub my nose in that statement). 

Part of the issue is that your problems have two distinct dimensions to them. The first, and immediate one, is the need to somehow stay up. That boat hasn't sailed yet, even though you are in a deep hole. And bringing in an experienced man who knows the club seems logical enough.

But the second dimension is around the direction that the club is heading in, and the underlying plan and philosophy that is going to steer you through the next 3-5 years. I don't see that coming from the existing ownership, and whilst Sheridan may be a sticking plaster over obvious wounds, the club really needs open-heart surgery, if everything I've read and heard from you all is even 50% accurate.

I don't envy you your dilemma. If 80% of boycotters really do want to go back, there may not be much point in trying to turn back the tide, for now. But as Adam says, the process of preparing and delivering the club for sale at a realistic price  will be the key test of whether the existing owner and his Board of Directors are behaving in good faith, or just stringing you all along in an attempt to buy time.

Thanks Robbie,

The position we've debated on the pod for the last two weeks is, do we now get behind the team on the condition that Mr. Lemsagam is true (for a change) to his word and makes every effort to sell the club this year, ideally in time for next season, whatever league we may be in, but recognising that it is in the current owner's interest for us to be in the EFL when he completes his sale.

This week will tell us a lot about how seriously he values the latter, if Shez is able to get rid of some players and bring others in. Ongoing conversations with his legal team will uncover how serious he is about the former. If the conditions are not met, he's going to find it very difficult to manage or sell his asset next season. Ball (as it often has been) is in his court.

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

I think you raise a valid question but answer it with your opening words  - as an outsider how can you understand? 😃

Sheridan is a folk hero to many and he has history in rescuing the club from seemingly impossible situations.

Holloway doesn’t have the connection with the club and, more importantly, the fans.

We all know of the ‘second dimension’ problem you refer to and none have lost sight of the importance of a longer term strategy.

But an Oldham Legend has stepped up to try and help - who are we not to try and support him? He may fail but you can be sure that he will give it everything.

• Matt featured this topic
On 1/24/2022 at 11:46 AM, BP1960 said:

How about a big media campaign to get a bumper gate next Saturday for the Rochdale game?

Paid for space in the Oldham Times and Manchester Evening News (there's lots of fans who live outside Oldham) about 'Shezurrection', also TV and radio input.

I remember the Bobby Johnstone impact of 1960 when on his debut the attendance shot up from 4000 to 17,000, that feel good factor resulted in a major upturn in the teams fortunes. If AL could pay off the embargo and a couple of quality players brought in this  would show he too means business.

Re-appointing Shez is the big media campaign. NOBODY could have missed it and anybody that needs a follow up to tell them that we are playing some matches aswell probably couldn't make it out of their door anyway!!

On 1/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, Monty Burns said:

Re-appointing Shez is the big media campaign. NOBODY could have missed it and anybody that needs a follow up to tell them that we are playing some matches aswell probably couldn't make it out of their door anyway!!

Should be banging the drum, I saw no headlines in the Oldham Times, the Manchester Evening News or on local TV for fans to rally round for Saturdays match.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Should be banging the drum, I saw no headlines in the Oldham Times, the Manchester Evening News or on local TV for fans to rally round for Saturdays match.

Why do you that? l answered your question. l could literally copy and paste the answer here.

Friend of a friend was interviewed by a news crew reporting on THE SPIKE IN TICKET SALES WHICH DOESNT NEED A PAID FOR ADVERT whilst buying a half season ticket and is currently experiencing his five minutes.

But BP saw no pointless paid for advert in a tired defunct field and nobody sent him a telegram.

We are literally 'banging the drum' ourselves.

Theres a massive list of stuff that should be done, buying advert space to advertise something everybody already knows about really isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Please explain how you can arrange “headlines” in the media?
All the local news outlets have covered the story and given it the prominence they think is appropriate .

On 1/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, Monty Burns said:

On 1/24/2022 at 11:46 AM, BP1960 said:

BP, I understand the point you are trying to make but you are simply not accurate. 
The home gate before Johnstone’s debut was over 9000. 
( And there hadn’t been a home league attendance of less than 6000)

49 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Please explain how you can arrange “headlines” in the media?
All the local news outlets have covered the story and given it the prominence they think is appropriate .

You're kidding.  Half the stuff in papers these days is just regurgitated press releases

Archived