Stevenage next Saturday-the biggest game in our recent history?

Has there been a more important game for us over the last 25 years?

Lose and I think we all know we will be in the National League next season... If we survive the summer.

Win and it gives us a chance of staying up and to maybe find a new owner..

I'll be there hopefully with 1000+ others. KTF 🤞

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Wonder if we will sell out ? 

From ‘The Ground Guide’:

Away fans are located at one end of the ground in the South Stand, where up to 1,400 supporters can be housed. As you would expect from a relatively new stand the facilities and views of the playing action are good. If demand requires it then part of the Main Stand can also be given to visiting supporters, bringing the total allocation up to 2,000.

Probably take close to a thousand but that could be more should we beat Leyton Orient on the Tuesday.😃 

As away venues go, I think it is among the worst. The ground is tidy enough (but small). But the availability of watering holes around the ground is very limited and the choice in town not up to much either. I think we finished up in a not very good Spoons last time we were there.

if you are on the train and going via London I would seriously consider having a drink at Kings Cross. Trains from there are very regular and take about 20/25 minutes.

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

As away venues go, I think it is among the worst. The ground is tidy enough (but small). But the availability of watering holes around the ground is very limited and the choice in town not up to much either. I think we finished up in a not very good Spoons last time we were there.

if you are on the train and going via London I would seriously consider having a drink at Kings Cross. Trains from there are very regular and take about 20/25 minutes.

Last time I went I decided to drive as the apparent lack of local boozers meant it was just another ground to tick off. As you say couldn't fault the ground itself. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

From ‘The Ground Guide’:

Away fans are located at one end of the ground in the South Stand, where up to 1,400 supporters can be housed. As you would expect from a relatively new stand the facilities and views of the playing action are good. If demand requires it then part of the Main Stand can also be given to visiting supporters, bringing the total allocation up to 2,000.

Probably take close to a thousand but that could be more should we beat Leyton Orient on the Tuesday.😃 

I can't see us taking a thousand if we get beat on Tuesday. 

Without doubt, a historic game.

I try not to contemplate what it means if we fail to beat Stevenage.

For a good while, my belief that we can avoid relegation rests on the addition of a new striker (not happening) or the sustained return of Junior Luamba.

Totally unfair to rely on the young lad to deliver 4? wins, but here we are.

The late goal on Saturday was the relegation bell tolling, I felt sick.

This run of defeats is increasingly unbearable, I don't blame players, certainly not Shez, he doesn't need to put himself through this, thank Christ he is willing to do so.

My anger is solely directed at Abdallah, he had the opportunity to fix this is January and elected to do nothing.

As soon as our EFL fate is sealed, within the limits of the law (I don't support pitch invasions), every possible form of protest / challenge / direct action to hold him to account should follow.

If there is a genuine buyer out there, I believe our club, which means the people who are emotionally invested in Latics, will withstand the damage of dropping out of the football league.

Regaining EFL status is likely to be a long rocky road .....

3 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

My anger is solely directed at Abdallah, he had the opportunity to fix this is January and elected to do nothing.

As soon as our EFL fate is sealed, within the limits of the law (I don't support pitch invasions), every possible form of protest / challenge / direct action to hold him to account should follow.

When something is so clearly wrong, Mayfield, do you not think that "breaking the law" is justifiable? History has many examples whereby if the law had not been broken; nothing would have changed (e.g. suffragette movement). I feel that, generally, Latics' fans have been far too placid with regard to this despicable regime. One man and his acolytes are on the verge of completely destroying a proud and historic club... and we worry about pitch invasions. I just don't get it. 

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

we worry about pitch invasions. I just don't get it. 

Clearly there are many supporters who are comfortable with pitch invasions @wiseowl, however, i am not. Merely my personal opinion.

This is a real dilemma though, I don't support it, but, the various protests and illedged personal threats to the owner seemed to elicit the agreement to sell the club.

Does the end justify any means? Not for me, but the negative, embarrassing media attention does appear to affect Abdallah.

I forget which game, but when the pitch invasion happened, I watched a young child in the JFS, his mother desperately trying to comfort him, the day ruined.

Equally, some of the people around me in Main Stand Blue Block, who have SUPPORTED Latics for 50 plus years, cruelly dirided as 'happy clappers' feel threatened and upset by such hooligan (their impression) behaviour.

There are a number of canny people on here who are quick to note this isn't the end, or the low point, things can continue to decline.

While dropping into non league is something I still dread, imagine doing so with a points deduction, before a ball is kicked.

The latest OAFC accounts indicate that EFL fines or other penalties simply won't be funded.

54 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

When something is so clearly wrong, Mayfield, do you not think that "breaking the law" is justifiable? History has many examples whereby if the law had not been broken; nothing would have changed (e.g. suffragette movement). I feel that, generally, Latics' fans have been far too placid with regard to this despicable regime. One man and his acolytes are on the verge of completely destroying a proud and historic club... and we worry about pitch invasions. I just don't get it. 

I disagree up until this season you could argue we were too tolerant however that also includes the unique season of the pandemic which saw games played behind closed doors.

This season has seen multiple protests pitch invasions and national news coverage. Our plight has got out there the football World is aware of what has gone on at Oldham. Let's not forget the sporting director was advised recently to stay away from a recent home game by the police do you really think that would happen if the fanbase was too placid?

Not everyone is going to want to join in with such things. I can't see the older generation in the main stand wanting to invade the pitch and nor should we expect everyone to want to actively get involved here that's fine.

But also abit of credit here should be given to the Athleticos for driving the protests inside the stadium and for the getting behind the team this last 2-3 months we can't blame them if we go down. 

Mansfield was the most important in our history. Now Orient is. Then Stevenage will be. And so on. Less than 3 points on Tuesday though will make Stevenage a moot game as we will have already slipped too far. Our goal difference is even gettin close to theirs so we don't even have that as an extra point

8 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Mansfield was the most important in our history. Now Orient is. Then Stevenage will be. And so on. Less than 3 points on Tuesday though will make Stevenage a moot game as we will have already slipped too far. Our goal difference is even gettin close to theirs so we don't even have that as an extra point

I sort of get your point that they are all important, but lose on Tuesday and win at Stevenage and it keeps us In touch.

Win on Tuesday and lose at Stevenage and we are still 3 points behind them having played a game more with a horrendous run in.

Lose them both we are fucked!

If ever there was a 6 pointer it's Saturday.

I guess the answer is win both games 🤞🙂

25 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Considering our glorious leader said his whole efforts were now concentrated on strengthening the squad it would be nice if the foundation could ask Moralle and Fake tan Brown how they think its going 

TBF, I don't think they would get an answer, the club seems like a proper closed shop. 

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Be lucky if we take much more than 500 there despite it being the biggest game in the clubs history.

I just dont get our fans if thsts the case.

Fa cup away at Fulham 3rd round over 4000 fans.

Everton away Fa cup 3rd round, 5500 fans.

Ive been going since 1976, these next few games are bigger than any other in my time, including Cup final, semi finals, promotion and glamour cup draws, they are and were fantastic but this right now is on a different level, for me any oldham fan who CAN go should go, home and away, forget AL and his cronies this is about Oafc, they will be gone one day soon hopefully and forgotten as they should be, but the club and us fans will remain.

Massive week ahead, Im off to London tomorra for 5 nights, working it around the Stevenage game. Long way for me from West Cumbria but hopefully it will be worth it.

C'mon you blues.

45 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Ive been going since 1976, these next few games are bigger than any other in my time, including Cup final, semi finals, promotion and glamour cup draws, they are and were fantastic but this right now is on a different level, for me any oldham fan who CAN go should go, home and away, forget AL and his cronies this is about Oafc, they will be gone one day soon hopefully and forgotten as they should be, but the club and us fans will remain.

Massive week ahead, Im off to London tomorra for 5 nights, working it around the Stevenage game. Long way for me from West Cumbria but hopefully it will be worth it.

C'mon you blues.

This is a bit different. Multiple trains, hours travelling, to watch a game that could relegate us. Even if we win still a huge chance we go down. Not to mention a cool £200 spent in the process at least. Against a once in a 5 year game to see us against massively superior teams and nothin to lose

50 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

C'mon you blues.

The difference between excitement and fear.  Cousins but very different characters

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

This is a bit different. Multiple trains, hours travelling, to watch a game that could relegate us. Even if we win still a huge chance we go down. Not to mention a cool £200 spent in the process at least. Against a once in a 5 year game to see us against massively superior teams and nothin to lose

I did say for those who can go, I understand some fans cant go for whatever their reasons.

I dont really see fulham away as a massive glamour game anyway.

Stevenage away and a chance of losing our efl status for the first time in our history is much much bigger.

4 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I did say for those who can go, I understand some fans cant go for whatever their reasons.

I dont really see fulham away as a massive glamour game anyway.

Stevenage away and a chance of losing our efl status for the first time in our history is much much bigger.

Fulham was a Premier League club in the heart of London.  You don't really get more glamorous for a trip than that.

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Fulham was a Premier League club in the heart of London.  You don't really get more glamorous for a trip than that.

Ok we will have to disagree then

To me this game is much bigger with much more at stake.  This should be heavily followed, perhaps I'm too old school now at 51.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Ok we will have to disagree then

To me this game is much bigger with much more at stake.  This should be heavily followed, perhaps I'm too old school now at 51.

I never said it wasn't bigger.  It is.  Bu it is massively less attractive which will be evident by the attendance.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I never said it wasn't bigger.  It is.  Bu it is massively less attractive which will be evident by the attendance.

Well yes I fully agree, sorry I misunderstood.

However unattractive we should still be taking a big away following imo.

Anyway C'mon you blues !!!!

Archived