Serious/Genuine Question

Is anyone privy to the details of the current agreement for "the club" to use/lease BP as their home e.g. can it be terminated easily? If so, with what notice period etc.?

What I am getting at here is that I think the vast majority of fans agree that we want rid of the present regime. That seems to be problematical. 

We accept we have an awful squad - under a regime we don't want around. Therefore :-

Can the fans (or whoever) not simply start a new/rival "Oldham Athletic" (not forgetting the current Oldham Athletic legal entity is also relatively new) and negotiate with Blitz to start leasing the stadium from him ASAP?

I don't pretend to know the ramifications of such a move around what league we would have to start in etc. BUT surely anything is better than continuing with this regime in charge? It may be, for example, that the lease contains a  "break clause" (e.g. if the club loses its league status) or has other grounds to terminate it which could be triggered- got to be worth exploring?

As I`m typing, I`m even thinking to myself, "if the above is not possible, just set up a rival fan-owned "Oldham Athletic" anyway and agree to play in whatever league at, say, Stalybridge Celtic's ground. Pack the place out for every "Staley" home game and totally boycott the charlatans at BP."

What a strong, united message that would send - as well as truly starving the regime of cash and helping to build a new club.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Is anyone privy to the details of the current agreement for "the club" to use/lease BP as their home e.g. can it be terminated easily? If so, with what notice period etc.?

What I am getting at here is that I think the vast majority of fans agree that we want rid of the present regime. That seems to be problematical. 

We accept we have an awful squad - under a regime we don't want around. Therefore :-

Can the fans (or whoever) not simply start a new/rival "Oldham Athletic" (not forgetting the current Oldham Athletic legal entity is also relatively new) and negotiate with Blitz to start leasing the stadium from him ASAP?

I don't pretend to know the ramifications of such a move around what league we would have to start in etc. BUT surely anything is better than continuing with this regime in charge? It may be, for example, that the lease contains a  "break clause" (e.g. if the club loses its league status) or has other grounds to terminate it which could be triggered- got to be worth exploring?

As I`m typing, I`m even thinking to myself, "if the above is not possible, just set up a rival fan-owned "Oldham Athletic" anyway and agree to play in whatever league at, say, Stalybridge Celtic's ground. Pack the place out for every "Staley" home game and totally boycott the charlatans at BP."

What a strong, united message that would send - as well as truly starving the regime of cash and helping to build a new club.

Close this thread immediately mods please 

Absolutely ludicrous 

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

I don't pretend to know the ramifications of such a move around what league we would have to start in etc. BUT surely  anything is better than continuing with this regime in charge? It may be, for example, that the lease contains a  "break clause" (e.g. if the club loses its league status) or has other grounds to terminate it which could be triggered- got to be worth exploring?

You raise a valid point - I would question if the lease until 2031 mentions professional as that would be one way for Blitz to get out of that covenant. If we go part-time, which is probably likely if we get relegated again, does that end the covenant?

Ending the covenant is good for Blitz, I may be looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one, but it may be in Blitz's interests if the club was relegated again.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Go on then mate if it’s such a good idea. You make the first move. 

20 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

You raise a valid point - I would question if the lease until 2031 mentions professional as that would be one way for Blitz to get out of that covenant. If we go part-time, which is probably likely if we get relegated again, does that end the covenant?

Ending the covenant is good for Blitz, I may be looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one, but it may be in Blitz's interests if the club was relegated again.

You can’t rent the same space out to two businesses. Simple. Come back in 2031 

10 hours ago, Andy b said:

I’m guessing there may be a cause that failure to pay the rent breaches the lease and may mean Blitz could terminate the lease.

(I’m not arguing for Wiseowl’s madness)

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I’m guessing there may be a cause that failure to pay the rent breaches the lease and may mean Blitz could terminate the lease.

(I’m not arguing for Wiseowl’s madness)

Back to 3stands next season?

50 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Back to 3stands next season?

People should boycott the OEC full stop, they put less in to the club than Abdallah does but somehow are heralded as the saviour, it suits their agenda for everyone to boycott the football club and starve Abdallah of money because their wish is that he walks away and hands it over to them for nothing which just isn't going to happen, they make money off the back of the clubs name and want the club to fail.

Of course we know Abdallah cannot run a bath but this FLG is part of the problem. Whatever deal they have with Blitz they are fuelling the situation and doing his dirty work for him. If they were as pally with Blitz as they claim to be they'd put the club back together and do a deal with Blitz to take the whole lot on but they are still largely invisible and it looks like they are waiting for the day we go under. 

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I hope you’re going to the forum next week so you can speak to them directly!!

The direction of travel is already set, it will be the same heads there that are always at these events.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The direction of travel is already set, it will be the same heads there that are always at these events.

Guilty.

But it doesn't need to be. Tickets were available for anyone who wanted. It's just a shame if you're correct that it seems to be the same "heads" every time that are bothered enough to turn up for these events...

12 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Guilty.

But it doesn't need to be. Tickets were available for anyone who wanted. It's just a shame if you're correct that it seems to be the same "heads" every time that are bothered enough to turn up for these events...

You are quite right.

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

People should boycott the OEC full stop, they put less in to the club than Abdallah does but somehow are heralded as the saviour, it suits their agenda for everyone to boycott the football club and starve Abdallah of money because their wish is that he walks away and hands it over to them for nothing which just isn't going to happen, they make money off the back of the clubs name and want the club to fail.

Of course we know Abdallah cannot run a bath but this FLG is part of the problem. Whatever deal they have with Blitz they are fuelling the situation and doing his dirty work for him. If they were as pally with Blitz as they claim to be they'd put the club back together and do a deal with Blitz to take the whole lot on but they are still largely invisible and it looks like they are waiting for the day we go under. 

Want the club handed over to the OEC for nothing? Give over, utter tosh. False information really isn’t helpful and just causes further rifts in the fan base. 

Abdallah has told talksport he wants £6mill for the club which is an increase on the £4mill we were told. The club is insolvent so unless he massively reduces the value or loses it to admin he isn’t just ‘walking away’. 

Let’s be honest the whole situation is a shambles. The priority as PTB has always said is safeguarding the club. Once that is dealt with we then target the ground. Targeting both at the same time not only reduces the effectiveness of pushing for new club owners but also will reduced the media attention the club gets as the stand/ ground isn’t want people from other clubs care about. 

4 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Want the club handed over to the OEC for nothing? Give over, utter tosh. False information really isn’t helpful and just causes further rifts in the fan base. 

Abdallah has told talksport he wants £6mill for the club which is an increase on the £4mill we were told. The club is insolvent so unless he massively reduces the value or loses it to admin he isn’t just ‘walking away’. 

Let’s be honest the whole situation is a shambles. The priority as PTB has always said is safeguarding the club. Once that is dealt with we then target the ground. Targeting both at the same time not only reduces the effectiveness of pushing for new club owners but also will reduced the media attention the club gets as the stand/ ground isn’t want people from other clubs care about. 

Not quite the same but wasn't Matt Dean calling for the club to be sold to the Foundation for a quid at the end of last week's podcast?

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

12 hours ago, underdog said:

Pretty sure the current lease is in the name of OAFC (2004) Ltd as a business, and does not specify any league or professional status in it.

Thanks for acknowledging that rudemedic and thank you underdog.

In my experience, when forensically examined (i.e. a line by line review of a legal document) there can often be a "way out" of a contract that nobody really knew existed. That's why I said it surely had to be worth a look.

14 hours ago, Andy b said:

Not true at all (think of where rugby and football teams "share" a ground for example - there are many other examples and legal mechanisms available to share the same space) but I`m not going to get into a petty argument with you - it's all you seem to want to do nowadays.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not quite the same but wasn't Matt Dean calling for the club to be sold to the Foundation for a quid at the end of last week's podcast?

They have a 3% share Rob. Surely they would be a better option than someone Abdallah picked to get the right people? 

5 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

They have a 3% share Rob. Surely they would be a better option than someone Abdallah picked to get the right people? 

I don't know, not sure what levels of expertise they have.

Which is more important, safeguarding the club or securing the ground? Because surely you're not going to be able to do both?

Look forward to hearing what comes out of the forum.

If not mistaken the contingency fund has so far raised £30k. It wouldn't run the club for a week so good luck trying to get a team together that is fan owned that is able to compete above the level we are currently at or going to.

Archived