Pre Season Friendlies

Shit to watch as well, only player who wants to pass forwards is Harry Vaughan and Shez doesn't fancy him, Stobbs, Hope, Porter, Sheron, Tollit all poor today Hogan not at his best.

Positives were Fondop who should probably start next week, Clarke was solid other than that Vaughan and Luamba looked lively. Burgess and Cooper did okay.

Said I'd judge us after Fylde and I think we'll struggle, Shez keeps slating the players most the game yet he offered deals to half the fuckers after they got us relegated, bewildering really.

Final point from me Jack Stobbs who Shez seems to fancy is garbage, I watched him second half and he hit two forward passes in all the second half, he passed it back to Norman twice from the oppositions half once from about 60 yards when an attack was underway, he offers nothing and the only positives were a couple of crosses that he whipped in first time without thinking about it, he's so limited it's embarrassing, Hope offers little more on the other side. Thought we'd be better off but sadly we're not.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Positives were Fondop who should probably start next week

It'll be interesting to see whether Fondop or Porter can work together, or whether it's one or the other. 

Either way, they need service from wide.  Tollitt should be playing wide instead of Stobbs or Hope. 

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The whole club is in a period of transition. I'd happily give him the whole season unless it genuinely looks like we are going down let him get on with trying to turn this around this is not a quick fix.

yep agree. We need to build a solid foundation. Unless we look like going down he stays for me. 

57 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The whole club is in a period of transition. I'd happily give him the whole season unless it genuinely looks like we are going down let him get on with trying to turn this around this is not a quick fix.

So you’d be happy to keep him if we spend the whole season below halfway? I certainly won’t be and don’t think Frank will be either!

Sheridan wanted the chance to get us back into the league and he’s got it!!

I don’t usually go or even take any notice of friendly results but it’s the way we are playing which is worrying!

According to several attendees we were once again 2nd best all over the pitch against another side in a lower division.

Of course, it could all fall into place next Saturday but I think it’s unlikely.

We have the feel good factor running right through the club at the moment and need to take advantage of it but on the field where it really matters we are falling well short. 

Sheridan has signed these players, there is no one else to blame!!

We need to hit the ground running because If we start poorly, playing catch up won’t be an option against the quality sides in this division.

These loan players he talks about had better be of real quality because IMO the current squad are nowhere near the required standard!

Just now, oafc1955 said:

So you’d be happy to keep him if we spend the whole season below halfway? I certainly won’t be and don’t think Frank will be either!

I don’t usually go or even take any notice of friendly results but it’s the way we are playing which is worrying!

According to several attendees we were once again 2nd best all over the pitch against another side in a lower division.

Of course, it could all fall into place next Saturday but I think it’s unlikely.

We have the feel good factor running right through the club at the moment and need to take advantage of it but on the field where it really matters we are falling well short. 

We need to hit the ground running because If we start poorly, playing catch up won’t be an option against the quality sides in this division.

These loan players he talks about had better be of real quality because IMO the current squad are nowhere near the required standard!

Fylde were better all over the park, we were outplayed for large parts of the game which is a huge worry.

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He's been making signings whilst the whole club has been in a hugely uncertain position - potentially being liquidated, potentially being taken over. His preferred targets have probably signed elsewhere - not all players will have been like Gardner, willing to give it a bit of time for the deal to get over the line. We've signed a couple with decent pedigree at this level, a couple of older heads, and a few punts. Now there's a bit more certainty we may have more joy getting decent players in, but it's unrealistic to expect it to happen overnight, and he can't polish a turd. It's his job for as long as he wants it for me.

• Like 1

As has been mentioned already their number 10 absolutely head and shoulders above any of our lot today. Unsure what it’d take to get him but we are crying out for a player like that who offers something going forward. Still think we’ll be Ok defensively, although Hogan at fault for their 1st messing about, can’t be doing that. Ridiculous from the ref too, does he miss next week for that anyone know? 
Seen 4 of the pre-season games and haven’t been too impressed, said it a few times now but we are piss poor in midfield, especially on the wings. 
Pre-season done, and i’ve seen us have really good pre-seasons and then crap come the 1st game, so not getting too carried away. One thing I will say though, is that the fans won’t put up with that crap for too long, and Shez will soon be under pressure to deliver. 

26 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What sort of jobsworth ref sends a player off in a friendly?

It was a terrible back pass from the trialist which left Hogan in trouble. Why he passed it back instead of forward is a  complete mystery.

There's one thing (generally) that's been pretty consistent about the Oldham paying footballing public over the years. If Latics get off to a bad start to the season, "home" attendance dwindles pretty rapidy to the "hardcore" level and it takes a long time to get people back. There is an amazing feelgood factor for obvious reasons, at the moment, and I just hope and pray that the friendlies are not a true reflection of what is to come. 

7 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

He's been making signings whilst the whole club has been in a hugely uncertain position - potentially being liquidated, potentially being taken over. His preferred targets have probably signed elsewhere - not all players will have been like Gardner, willing to give it a bit of time for the deal to get over the line. We've signed a couple with decent pedigree at this level, a couple of older heads, and a few punts. Now there's a bit more certainty we may have more joy getting decent players in, but it's unrealistic to expect it to happen overnight, and he can't polish a turd. It's his job for as long as he wants it for me.

I understand what you’re saying but they are his turds and he has said publicly on more than one occasion that he was happy with the budget he had been given!

11 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Exactly that. Had to have enough players for a squad but there was minimal chance of recruiting top players until the deal was done. 

45 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

It'll be interesting to see whether Fondop or Porter can work together, or whether it's one or the other. 

Either way, they need service from wide.  Tollitt should be playing wide instead of Stobbs or Hope. 

Shez has never even tried playing them together, that's poor management IMO.