MATCH: vs Chesterfield (H) 03/09/22

25 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He got them “playing” after shez brought in Doyle, Bryan and Byrne. Results were on the up and then we lost heavily can’t remember who against and he was gone. It picked up and then wellens signed a load of dross and we went backwards.

Think Mo signed the dross didn’t he?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He got them “playing” after shez brought in Doyle, Bryan and Byrne. Results were on the up and then we lost heavily can’t remember who against and he was gone. It picked up and then wellens signed a load of dross and we went backwards.

It was Blackpool, (it was 5-0 if memory serves) when shez only named 3 subs. I think In protest at all the French lads turning up. Despite some decent signings mixed in with Mo’s we were abject. 

35 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I think we’re improving and the squad is still evolving. We will start to kick on in a few games. In fact I may as go as far to say, tomorrow will be the launch pad. I think we will win tomorrow.

I think we’re largely dire, and only play in 10/15 spells. We look unfit, our tempo is shite and we don’t move the ball quickly enough. The squad isn’t evolving to me, it’s being filled with similar type players of similar positions. I think we’ll lose t’mora. (Still going and hoping I’m wrong) 

Seen Chesterfield a few times looked good against Wrexham ( Clash of the Dinosauer managers Parkinson and Cook).But poor against  Altrincham should have been beaten. funnily enough managed by another Phil Parkinson. Should be interesting tomorrow rate Cooke as a good manager probably the best in this league . He is one of the few with a better win % than Shezz at Chesterfield shock horror. When people quote shezz's recent record they fail to mention the turmoil he was working under with clubs either under or threatened with embargos and Administration. Judging by todays signings I expect we have had to switch targets due to injury news. Maybe we will still bring in a forward and midfielder which I think are needed nest week. 

Gunna be tough game today. Chesterfield have started really well and will no doubt bring over 1k fans with them, if we are going to anything out of this game we need to something I've seen very little of this seans and thats fighting for every loose ball and pressing all over the pitch, Hallam Hope has brilliant start to the season and had manage to score 3 in 6 and they look like proper goal poachers goals as well, let's hope he continues in that manner today.

Prediction..

Attendance 8k (ish)

2.2 (hope & tollitt) 

For all the clubs in this league. Only one club can win this league and one more succeed in the play off lottery. Those predicting (or indeed hoping) promotion will be in the minority of tipsters being correct, whereas those not predicting promotion will be the majority being right.

Going off form to date, we don't look like we'll go up, nor will we go down. Prior to the take over and the squad being assembled who were predicting promotion? who honestly thought Sheridan had a hope with the players he had?. So why all of a sudden is he doing poorly?

Now is not the time to be questioning and calling for his head, let's all stick together for now. Give him the season, give the players the season to make the play off's. Then it's a lottery. 

Disagree Lags.

Need a solid 90 minute performance today. 

That has still not happened yet this season. Doesn’t happen today then we need to start looking elsewhere for some leadership… if we haven’t already starting looking that is. 

What we need today is 4-4-2 and if it is we need the front two playing together not miles apart. Couto left mid, with Vaughan, Threlkeld and Tollitt, Gardner not been playing well so he can make the tea. Get the new lads in too for a bit of energy.

16 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Disagree Lags.

Need a solid 90 minute performance today. 

That has still not happened yet this season. Doesn’t happen today then we need to start looking elsewhere for some leadership… if we haven’t already starting looking that is. 

This early in the season?

I certainly didn't expect promotion with the squad assembled.

13 minutes ago, Lags said:

Yes. If there still doesn’t appear to be a plan and we still aren’t taking into account the opposition… why wait? It’s only going to get worse. 

Hopefully it all clicks today and the players perform in front of a very big crowd. Seems unlikely though. 

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes. If there still doesn’t appear to be a plan and we still aren’t taking into account the opposition… why wait? It’s only going to get worse. 

Hopefully it all clicks today and the players perform in front of a very big crowd. Seems unlikely though. 

Accept it's all opinions Kow, how many games does the next guy get with these same players?

Chopping and changing coaches/managers never works.

14 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Chesterfield will win tomorrow. There is no doubt about that. We struggled to get over the line against a side that are already relegated in Aldershot and the players couldn't be arsed to turn up in York for 60 minutes. The question is, how many goals will they score? Only conceding two would be a positive in my eyes. You can sense Shez feels this way as well as he's just signed our 78th defender.

Fuck sake.

Unbelievable. I suppose Scunthorpe and Gateshead are already down as well then? Somebody needs to let the clubs and NL know, put them out of their misery.

21 minutes ago, Lags said:

It isn't just about this season though Lags, end of last season was a shambles in a situation where Sheridan supposedly thrives. The modern player wants stimulation and information on the training ground, clearly there is a lack of that. In interviews there's never any humility from him or admission that he may have got it wrong, you can only throw players under the bus so many times before they stop listening to you.

28 minutes ago, Lags said:

Accept it's all opinions Kow, how many games does the next guy get with these same players?

Chopping and changing coaches/managers never works.

Don’t disagree, I’m not suggesting chopping and changing. I’m talking about starting fresh with a younger, more technical and thoughtful coach. Modern coaches like Pete Wild, Ian Evatt can run rings around Sheridan.  

Don’t forget… he had retired and he was done… those are his words. Presumably he felt he had nothing left.  I think he might have been right. Obviously I’m still hoping he was wrong and he succeeds. 

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It isn't just about this season though Lags, end of last season was a shambles in a situation where Sheridan supposedly thrives. The modern player wants stimulation and information on the training ground, clearly there is a lack of that. In interviews there's never any humility from him or admission that he may have got it wrong, you can only throw players under the bus so many times before they stop listening to you.

You're seriously not trying to judge off last season's shower?

We've got to have more than 6 games in.

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I think you are right in what you say regarding the modern players and their needs.

We live in an information-based society which spills into every aspect of modern life, many players live through social media and communicate through social media. I'm not a football player but even in my job, I couldn't act upon a given situation without prior information and even ongoing information, so how does a player cope against a team without that information and a possible way to negotiate a match?

Surely it's not just a matter of the way Latics play, it has to be how the opposition plays, how Latics will play against them [prior information] and what the opposition may be expected to do in adjustment [ongoing information].

If Latics win today, I will certainly be over the moon.
My head says it will be a draw at best.

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Attendance will be interesting because this is the first game the club haven't thrown a load of free tickets out...

1,200 + are reported to be on their way from Chesterfield.

:sauce:Chesterfield's twitter account.

Archived