MATCH: vs FC Halifax Town (A) 29/10/22 (17.20 KO)

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seriously, why are you fixated on his age? Odd. He's not doing a Stanley Matthews

He's a veteran and should have been closed down throughout the game, but allowed to pick a pass whenever he wanted. 

Game after game we see one opposition midfielder in acres of space. It's very poor game management.

Stick to finance and I'll stick to what I know from years of knowledge about the game.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The rot set in from the off with Unsworth's head in the sand tactics, must be the most clueless we have ever had, despite the poor players.

Seems to have brought in his mates as  coaching staff just as inept. 

Totally agree. He’s not our man. Not even close to getting best out of this lot. Time to go. 

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Where do we go from here?

That's the big question 

As shit as it is to go through this again, get mentally prepared for another relegation battle as a club.

We are no longer a basket case off the pitch but we can't believe that we're too big to go down on the pitch.  No matter what infrastructure is being put in place (and it should continue to be) we need to prepare for the short term on the pitch.

Also get Abraham signed up for as long as possible for this season.  Not because of his (lack of) goal record or piece of skill he showed for the goal, but for the pace that we are so desperately lacking.

• Like 1

I’m sorry but IMO you’re all talking absolute bollocks. The majority of these players cannot pass a football and don’t work hard enough off the ball.
Playing 442 wouldn’t make any difference whatsoever to the end result….we need to bring in better players, I’m sorry but that is the only answer!!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As shit as it is to go through this again, get mentally prepared for another relegation battle as a club.

We are no longer a basket case off the pitch but we can't believe that we're too big to go down on the pitch.  No matter what infrastructure is being put in place (and it should continue to be) we need to prepare for the short term on the pitch.

Also get Abraham signed up for as long as possible for this season.  Not because of his (lack of) goal record or piece of skill he showed for the goal, but for the pace that we are so desperately lacking.

At this rate, we'll all need a shrink, Frank should get rid of his flat cap and buy a tin helmet 

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sorry but IMO you’re all talking absolute bollocks. The majority of these players cannot pass a football and don’t work hard enough off the ball.
Playing 442 wouldn’t make any difference whatsoever to the end result….we need to bring in better players, I’m sorry but that is the only answer!!

Well we looked far better with the 4 at the back in the last 5 mins than we did for 92 of the other minutes. It’s shit, it’s boring and Unsworth/Frank/DR/JR need to get a fucking grip of this situation. This is beyond being patient, there is 0 signs of any progress. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Agree with this. Doesn't matter what the formation is when most of the players can't play a simple pass. So many straight to the opposition.

Half our lot look like they are running through treacle. 

No leadership - completely powderpuff. 

Literally the only positive today for me was Abraham but we need another 6 or 7 of similar ilk to stand a chance.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's a veteran and should have been closed down throughout the game, but allowed to pick a pass whenever he wanted. 

Game after game we see one opposition midfielder in acres of space. It's very poor game management.

Stick to finance and I'll stick to what I know from years of knowledge about the game.

Well you clearly don't understand that the game has moved on and a 34 year old who has looked after himself properly is not a veteran 

• Like 2

If we needed any further confirmation of how bad a set of players we have at the club, then tonight’s performance showed the stark reality of just how far we have fallen.

Of the fourteen that got onto the pitch, only Abraham, Cooper and, late on, Tollit showed anything.

We are embarrassingly bad and I have no more words. 😱

• Like 3

Ok Mr Unsworth, fans did their bit. We turned up in numbers, and supported the team to the end. I’m not interested in quotes about what players you inherited, you took the job knowing the squad, now its time to earn you wage and get results on the pitch because currently you and YOUR squad are taking us down

Edited by OAFC_ULTRA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Undoubtedly the squad is collectively not good enough and there are clearly some players who should not be getting anywhere near the 11.

However, I do think more could be achieved if we accepted what we have and keep it simple so our mostly limited players are not over exposed to their weaknesses.

for a start, it is so clear that Clarke and Anglo are not wing backs. Clarke gets plenty of criticism, but if he was just left to do the job he is best at (ie full back in a back four) he would likely improve. The same too for Angol.

that then means it’s four at the back, so pick your two best centre halves. We’ve got loads to choose from!

then a solid midfield two who stay close together, get up and down the pitch and play as a partnership. From what I saw today, Sheron and Cooper would do a job, it’s not a dynamic midfield that will drive us into the play offs, but my God we look so exposed in that area and it needs sorting out.

then you can play two ‘creative’ wider midfield players, both of who, still need to support their full backs (eg no Bahamboula type performances allowed) and hold the shape when we don’t have the ball. Tollit is clearly one of those players, take your pick on the other.

Then it’s two up top. Abraham played well today, and he put in a proper shift. Him and Fondop could do a job, and there is still the Bolton lad and perhaps Hope is a week or two away.

after that revolting cameo from Rooney today (completely responsible for their second goal), I don’t see where he fits in. If he doesn’t work (or isn’t fit yet) then he doesn’t get in, however lofty his reputation.

we need legs, desire, organisation, simplicity and a bit of skill. We’ve got enough OK players to get out of the shit and bumble around in 15th, but if we can’t sort out the basics and continue to play like we did today then we are going to get sucked right into the relegation mix.

• Like 2

The harsh truth is that if other clubs in the NL could have a free pick of any of our players they would say no thanks. The inability to find players with a simple pass in possession and get close to opposition players out of possession is ridiculous. Teams get the freedom of the park. No matter how you dress it up recruitment in the summer was dreadful. At the moment the tactics suit the team - clueless! Tollitt scores goals, but might as well be in the stand when the opposition has the ball, Clarke is a seasoned pro, but can’t pass and makes brain dead fouls all the time, unbelievable.

When players are not even moving into space it compounds the problem the players have of not being able to pass a football.

These players are simply incapable of the basic skills of football, couple that with a lack of work rate and desire and that’s why we’re where we are!!

No amount of extra work on the training ground is liable to make the slightest difference.

This. Squad. Is. Crap.

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well you clearly don't understand that the game has moved on and a 34 year old who has looked after himself properly is not a veteran 

It's moved on to this tripe...a wonderful observation.