MATCH: vs FC Halifax Town (A) 29/10/22 (17.20 KO)

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Mad that Grimsby got new owners after years of mismanagement and got promoted straight away...

They spent 6 years in the conference, 5 years back in L2, then got promoted straight back after some would say a fair amount of luck in the playoffs. Hardly comparable to our 15 years of decline since last being in the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

It took Joe a few years and then we finally got into the playoffs in 86 and got a hammer blow from Leeds Utd.

It took another 3 years to rebuild then we went on the run.

This team has been put together with no thought process and the players signed were like we’d just won shit prizes from a school tombola.

We have to stick with the board and management. Let them bring his own players in who are competent to know how what tactics and shape mean.

One thing I did notice was Maynard giving it large last week and got completely done for the goal yesterday.

Once Hope, Hogan and Gardener come. back plus the 4 new players arriving this week and next we can move on.

I’m still expecting us to go on a run and get in the playoffs

4 new players?

15 minutes ago, latics22 said:

It’s made a rod for his own back saying he will have players in by the next league game. Hasn’t he been trying properly? And now he’s going to try extra hard. It’s all very bizarre. He’s going to look a dick if he brings no one in.

Or maybe he'll leave if he doesn't get the backing. Said it earlier anyone who went to the pre season friendlies against any of the sides we played from any level knew it wasn't all about getting fitness...we were dire!!

Edited by Lags

4 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

We were lamenting the performances of Callum Whelan last season and were mostly against keeping him on. Yet he’s sat in a play off position at Solihull. Think of all the managers and players that don’t cut the mustard here, yet slot in quite nicely at another clubs set up and perform better. That’s why I don’t think it’s about individual ability. It’s a collective thing. Maybe a club cultural problem. With all the behind the scenes positivity, I’m hopeful things will improve. But not a fan of Unsworth’s blame game. He has to find a way of brining this squad together.

Tell me I'm wrong but the gist I get from that post is it's the fans. Can't be the managers or the board, as they have all changed..some more than others. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

It’s made a rod for his own back saying he will have players in by the next league game. Hasn’t he been trying properly? And now he’s going to try extra hard. It’s all very bizarre. He’s going to look a dick if he brings no one in.

And if he's 'looked the players in the eye and told them' that some of them will be replaced, how does he expect anything from them in the meantime if we can't get deals done quickly enough?

Playing with fire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

12 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

And if he's 'looked the players in the eye and told them' that some of them will be replaced, how does he expect anything from them in the meantime if we can't get deals done quickly enough?

Playing with fire.

The "human" side of me has some sympathy with him; he's wearing his heart on his sleeve and is clearly feeling the pressure already. Probably did not expect such passionate/numbers of fans at this level at the likes of Alty and Halifax. 

The "alien" side of me says a) he's doing his damned best to ensure the nos. of fans dwindles very quickly (!) and b) he's really showing his managerial naivety in some of his interviews.

I honestly feel this "ex Everton" experiment is not going to end well - something does not seem right already.

22 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Playing with fire.

Self respect, professional pride and trying to get a deal elsewhere surely?

Edited by Lags
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

Self respect, professional pride and trying to get a deal elsewhere surely?

Exactly. They need telling straight and really, they should already know it. Do the culprits think the fans are booing because they are being unfair to the players..expecting too much? I know clubs have win bonuses in place [not sure if ours has] so imagine if there could be such a thing as a loss-deficit payment.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Tell me I'm wrong but the gist I get from that post is it's the fans. Can't be the managers or the board, as they have all changed..some more than others. 

No, I don’t think it’s the fans. I think our fans are mostly great. Supportive, in good numbers and vocal (positively and negatively). I piss & moan at matches when things are shit, but I also roar them on when we play at a high tempo, with passion and on the front foot. That’s when I think we’re at our best, and what most of us want to see. I can’t imagine we’re that much different from fans at other clubs.

I don’t think Whelan was good enough when he played for us. I didn’t want him to stay for this season. Yet he’s playing in a play-off chasing Solihull team. There’s tons of players we could add to that list. I think Charlie Cooper shows effort but is very poor. But he’s played plenty of games at this level, so to say that all the players like him aren’t good enough for this level is wrong. He is good enough for this level, we’re just at a crap level. 

I don’t know what point I’m trying to make. It doesn’t make sense. But it doesn’t make sense that a large squad of players that are actually good enough for this level play so abysmally as a team.

i think I am saying it’s the coaches. Unsworth and the coaches need to do better.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

No, I don’t think it’s the fans. I think our fans are mostly great. Supportive, in good numbers and vocal (positively and negatively). I piss & moan at matches when things are shit, but I also roar them on when we play at a high tempo, with passion and on the front foot. That’s when I think we’re at our best, and what most of us want to see. I can’t imagine we’re that much different from fans at other clubs.

I don’t think Whelan was good enough when he played for us. I didn’t want him to stay for this season. Yet he’s playing in a play-off chasing Solihull team. There’s tons of players we could add to that list. I think Charlie Cooper shows effort but is very poor. But he’s played plenty of games at this level, so to say that all the players like him aren’t good enough for this level is wrong. He is good enough for this level, we’re just at a crap level. 

I don’t know what point I’m trying to make. It doesn’t make sense. But it doesn’t make sense that a large squad of players that are actually good enough for this level play so abysmally as a team.

i think I am saying it’s the coaches. Unsworth and the coaches need to do better.

Coaches, unike managers, never seem to take the flak.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, perhaps Fulham does colour things a bit- but still a great win and he did fine in the league with what he had. Especially in his first job. 

He did OK but those games against Macclesfield, Forest Green and Newport stand out as particularly poor performances. Provided us with a great day at Fulham but I'm not sure at that point he was the long term answer...

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He did OK but those games against Macclesfield, Forest Green and Newport stand out as particularly poor performances. Provided us with a great day at Fulham but I'm not sure at that point he was the long term answer...

Exeter was pretty shite as well

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Another thing about hiring and firing. 

The problem we’ve had is firing good mangers-  Bunn, Wild, and Big arms we’re doing fine- especially Wild. But they couldn’t work with Mo, and that won’t happen again. As soon as we get a get a good one he’ll get every support from the club and we’ll be on the up. But that can not make us reluctant to assess what we are seeing with your own eyes when things are really poor. 

Maamria won 8 of his 28 league games in charge and we were 19th in the table when lockdown ended the season.

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

There wasn't even a long term question at that stage.