National League Thread

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Such a good day. Salford are another obnoxious plastic club, and, well, Hughes...I mean, what can I say....

Good luck to County. I used to like Friday night games at Edgeley Park.

Yes

Chuffed for two old rivals Jim and Sean.

Hopefully our paths will cross again in the Armoury

I hope Stockport go up as it paves the way to the possibilities for other clubs. Here's hoping our club recruits well and we can do the same. Chesterfield and 'Dale should be the only clubs to cause Latics any possible problems next season but we all know that would be in an ideal world.

Clubs who, last season, gave us the run around and snatched points will hopefully be despatched with skill and confidence. I believe it will be a totally different kettle of fish this time around.

58 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I hope Stockport go up as it paves the way to the possibilities for other clubs. Here's hoping our club recruits well and we can do the same. Chesterfield and 'Dale should be the only clubs to cause Latics any possible problems next season but we all know that would be in an ideal world.

Clubs who, last season, gave us the run around and snatched points will hopefully be despatched with skill and confidence. I believe it will be a totally different kettle of fish this time around.

If I can find the market I'm putting money on Dale to go down. As I couldn't find the market last year I'm not hopeful this.

I'd be a lot more worried about Hartlepool than Dale, Dale will struggle but as our games are derbies then I'm not sure form will matter.

I think us, Chesterfield and Hartlepool will all be there or thereabouts next season. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

If I can find the market I'm putting money on Dale to go down. As I couldn't find the market last year I'm not hopeful this.

I'd be a lot more worried about Hartlepool than Dale, Dale will struggle but as our games are derbies then I'm not sure form will matter.

I think us, Chesterfield and Hartlepool will all be there or thereabouts next season. 

Have been saying the same Hartlepool were down here not so long ago so have the knowledge of how to get out  think dale will struggle unless they recruit well think fylde will do well have a winning mentality 

18 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I’m in the Hartlepool-As-Contenders club too. Askey as manager and experience as a club of how to operate in this league. Plus they are not on their uppers financially, so aren’t on a spiral downwards. 

There does seem to be a bit of unrest at Hartlepool though. The owner has put them up for sale as he’s had a load of grief from the fans who blame him for their relegation. He’s local to the area and saved them when all seemed lost and were on the verge of going under (sound familiar?).

he turned them round, they got back in the league and I seem to remember their fans singing his praises in the protest game at our place last year.

Admittedly I don’t know much about it all there, but somethings gone wrong and he’s had enough, although he has said he won’t walk away and will help fund it till a buyer can be found.

1 hour ago, johnboy said:

national league fixtures are released on 6 july

That was last season. Things move pretty slowly in this league because it's run by dinosaurs. We won't know the date for another 3/4 weeks.

I totally forgot Hartlepool were in this league next season, so yes, I agree they will probably be in the mix, having been here before. Re-thinking the 'Dale situation and that they could struggle as we did first part of last season. The shock of the new and all that.

Someone posted on here (apologies, can't remember who for a credit) that teams often struggle in their first season in this league before mounting a promotion campaign in season two.

I do think our players, club and fans all made the mistake of underestimating this league last season.

Some of it in jest from the fans, "Southern Leisure Centres" etc, and it's difficult not to be sniffy given our history.

But it's a tough league with teams that are used to winning, teams that are ambitious, ex-League teams desperate to escape.

Attitude is going to be important next year and hopefully there will be a realisation that you can't just turn up at Boreham Wood on a Tuesday and expect to win because we are Oldham Athletic.

I think the attitude was good in that second half of the season and I do think the winning run helps with confidence.

Many reasons for optimism. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Someone posted on here (apologies, can't remember who for a credit) that teams often struggle in their first season in this league before mounting a promotion campaign in season two.

I posted the positions of all relegated teams in their first season (last 20 years). If someone can be arsed to do second seasons it may make mildly interesting reading.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's interesting isn't it? Extended it looks far more damning. Promoted clubs are in bold.

05/06 Kidderminster 15th, Cambridge 12th

06/07 Oxford 2nd (P/O not promoted), Rushden 12th

07/08 Boston (demoted), Torquay 3rd (P/O not promoted)

08/09 Mansfield 12th, Wrexham 10th

09/10 Luton 2nd (P/O not promoted), Chester 24th (R)

10/11 Darlington 7th, Grimsby 11th

11/12 Lincoln 17th, Stockport 16th

12/13 Hereford 6th, Macclesfield 11th
13/14 Barnet 8th, Aldershot 14th
14/15 Bristol Rovers 2nd, Torquay 13th
15/16 Cheltenham 1st, Tranmere 6th

16/17 Dagenham 4th (P/O not promoted), York 21st (R)

17/18 Leyton Orient 13th, Hartlepool 15th

18/19 Barnet 12th, Chesterfield 14th

19/20 Notts County 3rd (P/O not promoted), Yeovil 4th (P/O not promoted)

20/21 Macclesfield (folded)

21/22 Southend 13th, Grimsby 6th

33 clubs. 2 promoted. 6 achieved a play-off finish. That's a pretty terrible 'bounceback' statistic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I posted the positions of all relegated teams in their first season (last 20 years). If someone can be arsed to do second seasons it may make mildly interesting reading.

Thanks @Frankly Mr Shankly, this is what i was referring to, really interesting . And yet, I maintain ex-league clubs initially underestimate the opposition. Perhaps it's unavoidable?

One slight inaccuracy, presumably Cheltenham were promoted as champions but still, only 3 relegated clubs promoted at first attempt over a long timeframe. 

On 5/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, bigfatjoe1 said:

The FA Trophy final has been crap. Still, over 27,000 there.

Yes but this included about 13000 for the FA vase final. Speaking to some fans Halifax took about 8k and Gateshead 6k

I went to support my local team Ascot United and very few stayed for the trophy final as it was a 2 hour wait!

Not the easiest trip home either for Gateshead and Halifax finishing at 630pm on a Sunday night.

Next year we will take 20k to the final😉

14 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Thanks @Frankly Mr Shankly, this is what i was referring to, really interesting . And yet, I maintain ex-league clubs initially underestimate the opposition. Perhaps it's unavoidable?

I think many clubs which fall out of the EFL are in a pretty bad way. It isn't so surprising that it takes time to recover (if they recover at all). Mr Shanklys analysis shows it is harder than many will assume.

If relegation coincides/ prompts new ownership then there will be new owner hype/ expectations

Fans- some of ours included- still think they re better than the previous seasons results.

There aren't too many clubs yo-yoing between league 2 and national league. Perhaps that says a well organised club promoted from the national league is plenty competitive with the failing bottom half of league 2. And most seasons I'd expect there to be 4 or 5 giving it a good go for the two promotion slots.

So I'd agree- many underestimate how hard it can be down here.