National League Thread

5 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Chesterfield sign an Everton keeper on loan who apparently did really well at Chester last season.

They also have Jordan Ibe training with them.

Can't say I rated him when we played against them last season, prefer experience between the sticks at this level.

Borehamwood trialling changing their home midweek fixtures from Tuesday night to Wednesday night for this upcoming season, in a bid to boost attendances with there being less games played on a Weds compared to Tues.  
I had presumed both teams would have to agree with that, but apparently not the case. 
Interesting. 

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Borehamwood trialling changing their home midweek fixtures from Tuesday night to Wednesday night for this upcoming season, in a bid to boost attendances with there being less games played on a Weds compared to Tues.  
I had presumed both teams would have to agree with that, but apparently not the case. 
Interesting. 

They would if the fixtures had been released, but as they haven't and it still gives both teams 'enough' rest between Saturdays I don't think they need to.

Plus it means that if for some reason either team ends up playing on a Sunday the midweek game doesn't need to be postponed / rearranged to the Wednesday anyway.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:20 PM, rudemedic said:

They would if the fixtures had been released, but as they haven't and it still gives both teams 'enough' rest between Saturdays I don't think they need to.

Plus it means that if for some reason either team ends up playing on a Sunday the midweek game doesn't need to be postponed / rearranged to the Wednesday anyway.

Didn't Tranmere often play on  Friday nights?

Edited by BP1960

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't Tranmere often play on  Friday nights?

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

yes it was their thing.

we flirted with it once or twice but it wasnt for us

Stockport also regularly seemed to play Fridays too. Allowing quite a few Citeh fans to go was part of the rationale. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

yes it was their thing.

we flirted with it once or twice but it wasnt for us

I remember Joe Royle having the idea of Friday night friendlies in the late 80's, the idea being to make use of the plastic during winter postponements. The only one that actually took place was v West Brom, it was absolutely baltic and only about 600 turned up to watch so the idea was scrapped. I seem to recall we won though, with Gordon Smith scoring his one and only goal for us.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I remember Joe Royle having the idea of Friday night friendlies in the late 80's, the idea being to make use of the plastic during winter postponements. The only one that actually took place was v West Brom, it was absolutely baltic and only about 600 turned up to watch so the idea was scrapped. I seem to recall we won though, with Gordon Smith scoring his one and only goal for us.

We won 5.0

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

furthest away match as opening match please, so we can take big numbers and suck ourselves off over it again 😎

Was thinking Gateshead would be good for this.

We will be given as many tickets as we want. Its far enough away but reachable and also it would be far preferable going in August than deep winter on a Tuesday.

On a personal level I want all the good aways to be in the second half of the season. Id also like Chesterfield at home deep into the season say April time as a potential title decider at BP would see a full house.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2