BPAS PODCAST: 14th Nov '22, S3:E15: Darren Royle Part 1

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Merely in answer to the 2 people above, one of the best sources is a respected Everton journalist called Patrick Boyland. Here's an extract of what he wrote in April 2022. Any alarm bells in there at all? I am done now, honestly, just wanted to complete the loop here - thank you.

"So far, Everton have been good to their word. The latest ripple was felt this week with the news that David Unsworth would be stepping down from his roles as academy director and under-23 manager with immediate effect. For so long seen as part of the furniture at Everton, Unsworth is said to have begrudgingly left to “pursue his dream of becoming a first-team manager”.

Unsworth vacated his role as under-23 manager with three games of the season to play — somewhat curious timing with the side’s status in the top division at that point still on the line (the 2-0 win over Chelsea on Friday under John Ebbrell took them a big step closer to safety). (Side Note - Hands up if you previously knew Unsworth was on the verge of managing Everton's under 23 team's relegation?)

His No 2 Ebbrell will temporarily fill the gap until a permanent solution is found, creating some much-needed continuity in the short term. Crucially, though, the former academy director will no longer play any part in enacting the change to come at academy level. That responsibility will now fall to others. In truth, Unsworth always retained a focus on achieving his ultimate goal of one day managing Everton. He came close to doing so in 2018, interviewing for the role after Ronald Koeman’s departure, but was overlooked in favour of first Sam Allardyce and then Marco Silva.

Cutting the umbilical cord since has been tough, even after the desperate blow of missing out on his dream job. That same year, he spoke to Oxford United about their vacant manager’s position, only to decide to remain at Goodison.

The events of the past week represent a much-needed clean break for him as well. It’s a chance to show what he can do away from Everton.

It is understood that some of those close to the set-up still harbour reservations over Everton’s loan procedures, something they hope Thelwell will look to address. Equally, parents and agents are also said to have previously had concerns over the style of play at under-23 level. The Athletic reported earlier this season that Brands had mandated a move to a more progressive 4-2-3-1 and bring Unsworth’s side in line with the first team — something that was long overdue.

The last few months saw Everton under-23s lapse back into bad old habits: five in defence, a reactive style and huge gaps between the various sectors of the pitch. Signs of necessary pragmatism or a “results-focused” approach? For a section of those in attendance, it was often the latter.

For some, Unsworth’s methods were seen as increasingly old school, reflecting a bygone time where tough love was the order of the day. These latest developments at least offer the opportunity of a reset for all concerned, including Unsworth."

Interesting article and a good come back by you. You shouldn't give up posting - it's all about opinions and many of us, me included, go over the top at times. I'm sure 90%+ of the time it happens because of sheer frustration over the club that we all love but which has caused us all such misery over the last 30 years and the last 7 or 8 in particular. Stay strong!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Interesting listen.

Felt like Royle answered some of the questions differently to what was actually asked. The embarrassing Rothwell ITV feature also brushed over too readily.

Look forward to hearing part 2.

Agreed, Matt said the ITV feature was disrespectful and embarrassing the week before, DR says he thinks it was brilliant and the 2 of them just said yeah. Also, when asked about the breakdown of the £12m - £13m DR went off on a tangent and it wasn't really asked about again. The interesting thing regarding the off field stuff was the plan to build some kind of sports complex for use of the community, potential university etc. and it seemed like the council were to be an integral part of this. I haven't seen any council meeting minutes where this has been discussed so seems like a long way off and a bit pie in the sky at the minute. Sounds like it would cost an absolute fortune and have the council got the means at a time when cuts are being made across the board and are likely to be more cuts given we are in a recession which is predicted to last well into 2024.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Agreed, Matt said the ITV feature was disrespectful and embarrassing the week before, DR says he thinks it was brilliant and the 2 of them just said yeah. Also, when asked about the breakdown of the £12m - £13m DR went off on a tangent and it wasn't really asked about again. The interesting thing regarding the off field stuff was the plan to build some kind of sports complex for use of the community, potential university etc. and it seemed like the council were to be an integral part of this. I haven't seen any council meeting minutes where this has been discussed so seems like a long way off and a bit pie in the sky at the minute. Sounds like it would cost an absolute fortune and have the council got the means at a time when cuts are being made across the board and are likely to be more cuts given we are in a recession which is predicted to last well into 2024.

He confirmed the 12m-13m was for the club, stadium and surrounding land Bazza. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

He confirmed the 12m-13m was for the club, stadium and surrounding land Bazza. 

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Just to add to this. I couldn’t care less if he bought us out of admin for a £1, or bought us for £100m. He has lumped up whatever figure to buy the club, stadium, land and clear outstanding debts so we have a new start, for that I will be forever grateful to him and his family. 

They now need to continue to make progress on and off the pitch. Off the pitch is progressing, albeit slowly there are clear signs. On the pitch, my opinions are well documented on here. 

18 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Merely in answer to the 2 people above, one of the best sources is a respected Everton journalist called Patrick Boyland. Here's an extract of what he wrote in April 2022. Any alarm bells in there at all? I am done now, honestly, just wanted to complete the loop here - thank you.

"So far, Everton have been good to their word. The latest ripple was felt this week with the news that David Unsworth would be stepping down from his roles as academy director and under-23 manager with immediate effect. For so long seen as part of the furniture at Everton, Unsworth is said to have begrudgingly left to “pursue his dream of becoming a first-team manager”.

Unsworth vacated his role as under-23 manager with three games of the season to play — somewhat curious timing with the side’s status in the top division at that point still on the line (the 2-0 win over Chelsea on Friday under John Ebbrell took them a big step closer to safety). (Side Note - Hands up if you previously knew Unsworth was on the verge of managing Everton's under 23 team's relegation?)

His No 2 Ebbrell will temporarily fill the gap until a permanent solution is found, creating some much-needed continuity in the short term. Crucially, though, the former academy director will no longer play any part in enacting the change to come at academy level. That responsibility will now fall to others. In truth, Unsworth always retained a focus on achieving his ultimate goal of one day managing Everton. He came close to doing so in 2018, interviewing for the role after Ronald Koeman’s departure, but was overlooked in favour of first Sam Allardyce and then Marco Silva.

Cutting the umbilical cord since has been tough, even after the desperate blow of missing out on his dream job. That same year, he spoke to Oxford United about their vacant manager’s position, only to decide to remain at Goodison.

The events of the past week represent a much-needed clean break for him as well. It’s a chance to show what he can do away from Everton.

It is understood that some of those close to the set-up still harbour reservations over Everton’s loan procedures, something they hope Thelwell will look to address. Equally, parents and agents are also said to have previously had concerns over the style of play at under-23 level. The Athletic reported earlier this season that Brands had mandated a move to a more progressive 4-2-3-1 and bring Unsworth’s side in line with the first team — something that was long overdue.

The last few months saw Everton under-23s lapse back into bad old habits: five in defence, a reactive style and huge gaps between the various sectors of the pitch. Signs of necessary pragmatism or a “results-focused” approach? For a section of those in attendance, it was often the latter.

For some, Unsworth’s methods were seen as increasingly old school, reflecting a bygone time where tough love was the order of the day. These latest developments at least offer the opportunity of a reset for all concerned, including Unsworth."

18 hours ago, wiseowl said:

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

he literally said the money went on the club and surrounding land

Buggered up on the quote thing there but I found that article when Unsworth was appointed doing a bit of research on him as I didn't know much about him as a coach. Was sobering reading in parts and I flagged it to the people I go with. It's been borne out in his style of play generally and even Saturdays supposed 4-3-3 was mainly defensive.

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

he literally said the money went on the club and surrounding land

I was beginning it think it was just me who heard that. :D 

As per any interview with any businessman, going around the outskirts of answering questions is the norm. He is never going to go into great detail regarding plans, as those kind of comments are grabbed at by certain kinds of persons who take them to be cast-iron, set in stone, sworn on the bible promises.

We already know the council and local businesses are back on board with Latics, now the regime has been changed and a coherent business is in place so I don't see why any plans or ideas should be brushed aside as "pie in the sky".

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

I was beginning it think it was just me who heard that. :D 

As per any interview with any businessman, going around the outskirts of answering questions is the norm. He is never going to go into great detail regarding plans, as those kind of comments are grabbed at by certain kinds of persons who take them to be cast-iron, set in stone, sworn on the bible promises.

We already know the council and local businesses are back on board with Latics, now the regime has been changed and a coherent business is in place so I don't see why any plans or ideas should be brushed aside as "pie in the sky".

So it's the club, ground and land? Wow, let's say the club was £2 million absolutely tops, Blitz has got £11 million which is almost double what he's been asking for! And on top of that £12m - £13m he's also purchased the OEC business and the gym because your saying that wasn't included. Seems way way over the top for a non-league club.

52 minutes ago, PeteG said:

So it's the club, ground and land? Wow, let's say the club was £2 million absolutely tops, Blitz has got £11 million which is almost double what he's been asking for! And on top of that £12m - £13m he's also purchased the OEC business and the gym because your saying that wasn't included. Seems way way over the top for a non-league club.

They'll likely have been debts - run up by your friends the Lemsagams - to pay as well, wouldn't there......?

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Yeah, because what was happened was. .

Blitz said - I want 6 million.

and Frank said-  I’ll do better than that, here’s 11 million. 

Christ. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not difficult. 

Some on debt. 

Some to AL 

The rest to blitz for the whole footprint. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Christ. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not difficult. 

Some on debt. 

Some to AL 

Shouldn't have been difficult for Mr Royle to say as much then, no? Not that it really matters like...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Shouldn't have been difficult for Mr Royle to say as much then, no? Not that it really matters like...

😂😂 Right on cue. 

So. . you expect him to break confidentiality and any shred of professionalism? 

Can you imagine how amateur he’d look? 

Andy- I know you can’t say, but come on, help us out- what was paid and to whom? 

DR- Thanks Andy, I’ve been dying to get this out there, so basically we owed money to everyone- and that came to circa 3.4 mill. Then AL wanted some of the money he gave Corney for what was effectively a badge, and we didn’t want to disrespect him so we agreed to compromise on half his initial outlay and that came to 1.5. Simon was a tough cookie but we got him to what he roughly wanted all along which circa 6, and then we’ve also had to ring fence another 1.5 for fees and other costs. Does that help? 

Andy- yeah we can all sleep well now. 

26 minutes ago, BPAS said:

They'll likely have been debts - run up by your friends the Lemsagams - to pay as well, wouldn't there......?

Company accounts 2021

At the end of 2021 we had £2.9million of creditors on the balance sheet which no doubt will have grown by the time the Lemmies left. It will have no doubt have to have been settled before we bought the club.

The land which didn't include little Wembley which according to your podcast with the FLG was valued at £6million. So that already takes upto 9 million.

Throw in little Wembley whatever the Lemmies got The OEC the gym and possibly some more to be used as working capital then it's not difficult to see how the current spend has hit £13 million.

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂 Right on cue. 

Andy- I know you can’t say, but come on, help us out- what was paid and to whom? 

DR- Thanks Andy, I’ve been dying to get this out there, so basically we owed money to everyone- and that came to circa 3.4 mill. Then AL wanted some of the money he gave Corney for what was effectively a badge, and we didn’t want to disrespect him so we agreed to compromise on half his initial outlay and that came to 1.5. Simon was a tough cookie but we got him to what he roughly wanted all along which circa 6, and then we’ve also had to ring fence another 1.5 for fees and other costs. Does that help? 

Well Andy was obviously interested enough to ask the question and someone must have leaked the 12 mill figure because it hasn't been disputed as far as I know so it wouldn't have treading on toes to put a bit of meat on the bones.

37 minutes ago, BPAS said:

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Christ. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not difficult. 

Some on debt. 

Some to AL 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂 Right on cue. 

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Company accounts 2021

At the end of 2021 we had £2.9million of creditors on the balance sheet which no doubt will have grown by the time the Lemmies left. It will have no doubt have to have been settled before we bought the club.

The land which didn't include little Wembley which according to your podcast with the FLG was valued at £6million. So that already takes upto 9 million.

Throw in little Wembley whatever the Lemmies got The OEC the gym and possibly some more to be used as working capital then it's not difficult to see how the current spend has hit £13 million.

People speaking sense but Barry (under his very transparent guise of Pete) and his Muskamuppets will continue to try and spread BS supported by Eyrsey.

6 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

People speaking sense but Barry (under his very transparent guise of Pete) and his Muskamuppets will continue to try and spread BS supported by Eyrsey.

I’m all for scrutiny of the owners. As fans we’ve not done it enough in the past. But it’s grating on me that Agent Mike is suddenly relentless in his pursuit of negativity and sowing seeds of doubt on here about motives and honesty of the new owners. Was curiously quiet when his big pal was advising the last lot in a senior capacity and leading the club downwards to oblivion. Are we meant to believe this is all with oafc’s best interests at heart? Bollocks. 

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well Andy was obviously interested enough to ask the question and someone must have leaked the 12 mill figure because it hasn't been disputed as far as I know so it wouldn't have treading on toes to put a bit of meat on the bones.

When you say leaked- do you mean when the club told us it was 12 million in total? 

Andy wasn’t asking for a breakdown- he actually said- I know you won’t be able to tell us. He was trying to ascertain if there was anything left over from the initial investment for the projects DR was talking about. DR confirmed the 12 mill has gone on the club and ground etc and anything else would be additional investment. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I’m all for scrutiny of the owners. As fans we’ve not done it enough in the past. But it’s grating on me that Agent Mike is suddenly relentless in his pursuit of negativity and sowing seeds of doubt on here about motives and honesty of the new owners. Was curiously quiet when his big pal was advising the last lot in a senior capacity and leading the club downwards to oblivion. Are we meant to believe this is all with oafc’s best interests at heart? Bollocks. 

I think the ignore facility should be best used for "pete" I mean he must know that none of us believe a word he says.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When you say leaked- do you mean when the club told us it was 12 million in total? 

Andy wasn’t asking for a breakdown- he actually said- I know you won’t be able to tell us. He was trying to ascertain if there was anything left over from the initial investment for the projects DR was talking about. DR confirmed the 12 mill has gone on the club and ground etc and anything else would be additional investment. 

The club told us? Genuinely must have missed that. I seem to recall the 12 million figure was in Mike Keegan's article, perhaps there was a breakdown in there.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

The club told us? Genuinely must have missed that. I seem to recall the 12 million figure was in Mike Keegan's article, perhaps there was a breakdown in there.

Frank Rothwell openly re-iterated it himself on national television, when his televised cameo from Greenfield was shown before the Wrexham game. Well, not strictly true - because he actually said the purchase had cost him £13million (I think the interviewer was doing a comparison with the Wrexham purchase at £3m and asking who had got better value?!).

Archived