BPAS PODCAST: 14th Nov '22, S3:E15: Darren Royle Part 1

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

I look at it differently… by (rightly) praising all the good work that has gone on so far in building a proper footballing structure, he is also making the rod for his own back much bigger and heavier if he doesn’t turn things around on the pitch. 🤔

The rod is already buckling. . 😁

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Don't be too negative pal, @WorcesterOwl will be on your case...

Look, I understand that you're still upset that ALMOBO have gone. Try to move on.

The DU comments re Little Wembley, players' lounge etc, are all positives. Lots of incremental improvements eventually lead to an all round improvement. It's going to be a nightmare for you once we start to move up the league but it can't be helped. 

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Look, I understand that you're still upset that ALMOBO have gone. Try to move on.

The DU comments re Little Wembley, players' lounge etc, are all positives. Lots of incremental improvements eventually lead to an all round improvement. It's going to be a nightmare for you once we start to move up the league but it can't be helped. 

Delighted they've gone Worcester Owl and look forward to seeing the club moving on up. Disappointed in your lack of consistency in pulling up anyone posting negatively.

Hopefully the synergy kicks-in sooner rather than later, which is better than not at all, because there literally was no chance under the previous regime as the club was just about dead in the water. I'm not overly concerned about Unsworth espousing and enthusing regarding the strides being made behind the scenes, away from the football itself because, as already mentioned, he is painting a rosy picture, of which he must be aware that he cannot be allowed to cast a gloomy shadow over.

All is currently well in the Latics garden, if he shits in it, he'll probably get booted out. :D 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, he’s clearly asked and advised on lots of things- all of which it looks like the club has granted; and as Glossop said the infrastructure will be really good for whoever is in charge. And that’s point - he asked the club for these things to help him win football matches. The club have done their part, he isn’t doing his bit. 

You can’t build something without results. 

We have complained so much over the last few years about chopping and changing managers so much, we have been wanting some stability. 

Now I know results are not great but come on give the man and club some time.

4 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

We have complained so much over the last few years about chopping and changing managers so much, we have been wanting some stability. 

Now I know results are not great but come on give the man and club some time.

The club (Frank & co) can have all the time in the world. 

Any manager can not sustain constantly losing. 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The club (Frank & co) can have all the time in the world. 

Any manager can not sustain constantly losing. 

And no manager could constantly get that group of players to be winners.

He will be a busy man in Jan building his own team.

4 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

And no manager could constantly get that group of players to be winners.

He will be a busy man in Jan building his own team.

That’s nonsense Maxi. 

Not one single fan expects him to win constantly, especially this season.

What we do expect is for him to win more than 1 game 12. Furthermore he’s had 7 new signings- 5 of which started last week, and the performance and lack creativity didn’t change one iota. 

Sheridan got more wins with far less players, and left the club in 14th. Unsy can’t buy a win, and has taken us into the bottom four despite relatively huge backing. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s nonsense Maxi. 

What we do expect is for him to win more than 1 game 12. Furthermore he’s had 7 new signings- 5 of which started last week, and the performance and lack creativity didn’t change one iota. 

Sheridan got more wins with far less players, and left the club in 14th. Unsy can’t buy a win, and has taken us into the bottom four despite relatively huge backing. 

Well we could carry on as we were then. 

Maybe UTD should have sacked Fergie pre his glory years and we should have sacked Royle in the early 80s

Nonsense is not giving a bit of time LOF.

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s nonsense Maxi. 

League one, you are usually a lot more logical then you are being now.

Unsy made one mistake which was wading in early to tell the squad he inherited, they weren’t good enough. They basically stopped playing for him, hence no new manager bounce, and performances worse then when Shez was in charge.

The facts are we all agree that nearly the whole squad needed replacing, and recruiting a whole team of players good enough to compete for promotion takes time.  Loosing the good will of the majority of players means that until he has recruited enough new players to make the disgruntled players irrelevant, we won’t win.

Fairly soon now those 7 new signings you mention, plus 3 or 4 who are still bothered will mean the performances improve. IMO when that happens it will be sudden and repeated. I really hope it will happen in the next 2 or 3 games, but get off his back until at least we have a team of players willing to listen and put some effort in.  

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Unsy made one mistake which was wading in early to tell the squad he inherited, they weren’t good enough. They basically stopped playing for him, hence no new manager bounce, and performances worse then when Shez was in charge.

The facts are we all agree that nearly the whole squad needed replacing, and recruiting a whole team of players good enough to compete for promotion takes time.  Loosing the good will of the majority of players means that until he has recruited enough new players to make the disgruntled players irrelevant, we won’t win.

Fairly soon now those 7 new signings you mention, plus 3 or 4 who are still bothered will mean the performances improve. IMO when that happens it will be sudden and repeated. I really hope it will happen in the next 2 or 3 games, but get off his back until at least we have a team of players willing to listen and put some effort in.  

So- give him more time-  because the half squad don’t want to play for him because he’s publicly said they’re shit. . . . . and whose fault is that? 

Are you going to games? If so, what are you seeing that makes you think things will turn? 

I’m watching the same game on repeat. Start well, drop deep- offer nothing going forward.  I wouldn’t be as concerned about results if I could see a performance or plan. But we offer nothing- and all with a huge back room staff assembled at great cost. 

I find it staggering that the majority can’t see what is in front of them. Or am I missing something? (Other than ‘give him time’) 

18 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Unsworth was in charge for 7 games, 8 including the Alti game before he slated them. To say the lack of new manager bounce was down to him slating the players doesn’t make sense. 

I've always been one for giving managers time, I hate sacking managers and normally I would say a manager needs 2 years to build a squad and a identity but you have to see some improvement over that time. I remember the Royle days and after the highs of the 86/87 season we then struggled for the next couple but you could see and sense that squad was going to hit the highs sooner or later (granted we couldn't envisage they would be that good). I want to see Unsworth succeed but if we don't win a couple of games before New Year you'd have to say he's got to go. The squad he inherited might be shite but so are the majority of the opposition. Lets see where we are after the double header with Notts County and if we are in serious relegation trouble i'd be pulling the plug. We can't just stick with a manager for the sake of stability if he's literally taking us down. Imo his remit should be a mid-table finish.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Well we could carry on as we were then. 

Maybe UTD should have sacked Fergie pre his glory years and we should have sacked Royle in the early 80s

Nonsense is not giving a bit of time LOF.

We have to get out of this headspace that because Joe Royle was crap when he started and because Unsworth is crap when he started that Unsworth is going to be the next Joe Royle.

It's absolutely nuts and there is literally no link between the two cases.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

How long does he get for you? 

I genuinely believe whoever the manager is struggles with this squad, they have give him a 3 yr contract for him to build on the pitch whilst they build off it.

We stick with him imo

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Delighted they've gone Worcester Owl and look forward to seeing the club moving on up. Disappointed in your lack of consistency in pulling up anyone posting negatively.

No lack of consistency my friend. There is a huge difference between being relentlessly negative in just about every post - as sadly you and @PeteGseem to be - and praising some aspects of the club while criticising others.

21 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We have to get out of this headspace that because Joe Royle was crap when he started and because Unsworth is crap when he started that Unsworth is going to be the next Joe Royle.

Thete is no link between the two but there is also no evidence that given some time, stability and squad investment that the current manager will not come good.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I've always been one for giving managers time, I hate sacking managers and normally I would say a manager needs 2 years to build a squad and a identity but you have to see some improvement over that time. I remember the Royle days and after the highs of the 86/87 season we then struggled for the next couple but you could see and sense that squad was going to hit the highs sooner or later (granted we couldn't envisage they would be that good). I want to see Unsworth succeed but if we don't win a couple of games before New Year you'd have to say he's got to go. The squad he inherited might be shite but so are the majority of the opposition. Lets see where we are after the double header with Notts County and if we are in serious relegation trouble i'd be pulling the plug. We can't just stick with a manager for the sake of stability if he's literally taking us down. Imo his remit should be a mid-table finish.

We have 5 games before the double header with county. I think Unsworth needs to win 3 of those games (two are Gateshead and Torquay at home) to keep his job. If not and we predictably (or not with latics) lose the two games against county, we will be in serious trouble and he would need to go to let the new man have the Jan window. 

That would require 3 wins in 7 which isn’t much to ask given two of the games are sides below us at home. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

We have 5 games before the double header with county. I think Unsworth needs to win 3 of those games (two are Gateshead and Torquay at home) to keep his job. If not and we predictably (or not with latics) lose the two games against county, we will be in serious trouble and he would need to go to let the new man have the Jan window. 

That would require 3 wins in 7 which isn’t much to ask given two of the games are sides below us at home. 

Given we haven't looked like picking a win up against teams in and around us this month it's difficult to see how we can muster three from five, Altrincham and Halifax should of been seen off but we hardly had a shot on target across both games. Maidstone is a massive game for us but I suspect we'll probably end up blaming the pitch or something for being completely dominated.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Their is no reason to suggest Unsworth will have the success of Royle I highly doubt he will. However the case of Royle and that of Alex Ferguson is a good one for stability in the dugout being a key factor in building success at a football club.

I don't know how Unsworth will do and my thoughts as I left Boundary Park last Saturday were that we may have made a mistake in appointing him. However we've got into a culture probably worse than other clubs for being too trigger happy with Managers. Sacking a manager 11 games into a 3 year contract when we are only just at the beginning of a rebuild would be seen as ludicrous at other clubs it should be here too. 

Archived