BPAS PODCAST: 14th Nov '22, S3:E15: Darren Royle Part 1

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

I just happen to disagree on the Unsworth bit. 

Time will tell I guess…. You can just see - should we sack him soon - him going onto get another job in say L2 & doing well….. while we keep - going nowhere - hiring/firing every dozen games. It (short-termism) has got to stop at some point and a bit of loyalty and long term thinking paying off……

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I didnt interview with my company that I have been with for over 5 years

I was given a chance through knowing a director

Ive since been promoted and are quite well thought of (I think)

Interviews arent the be all and end all amd can leave you up with a Darren Kelly or someone like in our company who stays at home whilst asking site teams to say "if anyone asks, ive been on site today"

Yeah, fair enough. 

I wasn’t saying that an interview would have proved anything- as your example rightly points out. It was more to say that,  he was brought in to win football matches and not because he sold the club his vision. 

I think they have given him nearly free reign and said build it and we’ll back you- but that only works with results along the way to buy you the time to build. What’s the point of a first class set up if ultimately it doesn’t produce results? 

Just now, oafcmetty said:

4 at the back wasn't it? Albeit Maynard was so shit it was hard to tell.

Anyone's guess, to be honest.

Whatever he goes out with, it always seems to end up about 9 at the back, nothing in midfield and some poor sod up front, with no pressing when out of possession.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Personnel, maybe.

Tactics and formation don't seem to have changed since he's been here..

We played 4-3-3 at weekend we certainly started that way. But it was a defensive 4-3-3.

But here in lies the issues you can change formation but if you are still sat deep it won't matter. The back 4 was on the edge of our 18 yard box the 3 in the middle were only another 5 yards infront of them so it was a defensive 4-3-3.

This is the issue for those who say we should go 4-4-2 it won't matter if the back 4 and the middle 4 spend 90% of the game in our own half it won't solve the getting men forward issue.

8 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Time will tell I guess…. You can just see - should we sack him soon - him going onto get another job in say L2 & doing well….. while we keep - going nowhere - hiring/firing every dozen games. It’s (short-termism) got to stop at some point and a bit of loyalty and long term thinking paying off……

Yeah maybe. 

I think a point that gets lost in recent history is the good (ish) managers we’ve sacked. Bunn, Wild, Dino were at the very least doing ok- and I would of been happy to give them a lot more time to build- but we know what happened. 

They inherited Shez, and I think that was a unique case of best all round in letting him go. So I class Unsy as their first appointment. How many new owners get the first appointment spot on. . . 

I’m just concerned that if we give another 10/15 games- (which I do understand the logic in doing) and things haven’t improved- we won’t be struggling - we’ll be marooned with very little hope of staying up. (Which is all that matters this season) 

Stick with him- massive risk. 

Sack him- no guarantee the next bloke will turn it around. 

The lack of no new manger bounce was a concern to me at the start, it’s not always certain but it happens in most cases. I got my head around the fact we wouldn’t see one and it’s fine, but the games that followed have all been terrible and that can’t continue. I’d give him until New Year’s Day. Things are going to look grim if we lose both them games to Notts County. 

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The lack of no new manger bounce was a concern to me at the start, it’s not always certain but it happens in most cases. I got my head around the fact we wouldn’t see one and it’s fine, but the games that followed have all been terrible and that can’t continue. I’d give him until New Year’s Day. Things are going to look grim if we lose both them games to Notts County. 

Does it happen in most cases? I'd like to see stats on that. I'd disagree

Seeing as were more or less in mid table, and the season was only nine games old, I'm amazed, and a bit worried to be honest, if his remit was 'just keep us in the division'.

That's the sort of shite Corney used to tell his managers, so they're all naturally defensive minded from the outset as survival is the goal, and a struggle ensues.

2 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Seeing as were more or less in mid table, and the season was only nine games old, I'm amazed, and a bit worried to be honest, if his remit was 'just keep us in the division'.

That's the sort of shite Corney used to tell his managers, so they're all naturally defensive minded from the outset as survival is the goal, and a struggle ensues.

I doubt he was told that, they have just changed the narrative to protect him as they have gone all in on him and his backroom staff.

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I doubt he was told that, they have just changed the narrative to protect him as they have gone all in on him and his backroom staff.

I must admit I'd be surprised if they did, as this is the first time he's mentioned it, and it just so happened it coincided with us slipping into the bottom four.

The fact that he has though means we can kiss goodbye to any hope of him changing tactic and going on the attack to try and win games as opposed to trying to not lose them.

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Someone he met in the pub 

What a surprise - Chaddyexile with a cheap shot.

Nobody is allowed a contrary view on here are they? (at least not without being jumped on by the usual few).

I`m debating on here no more after this - it's futile. I`ll put it once and for all as I see our present predicament :-

1) Eternally grateful for the takeover - been to every game home and away, bar the televised one, and happy "off the field" will be fine and dandy. Thank you Frank - sincerely.

2) FR knows precious little about football and has put a team together under JR etc. to look after that side of the business.

3) JR and DU have been friends for a long time. They even took on the role of caretaker manager together for one game at the end of an Everton season.

4) DU had, for some time, been viewed as "outdated" and surplus to requirement at Everton and, eventually, they got rid as a result of a re-structure (April 2022 from memory).

5) DU had been seen at very close quarters by both Preston and Everton in caretaker manager roles - and neither saw fit to offer him the job full time (only they will know why not).

6) The stars aligned and his good friend, JR, offered him his first full time role as manager - and then he brought other staff with him.

7) We are paying an absolute small fortune in wages as a result.

8  We are playing worse now than ever we did under the supposed failure that was John Sheridan. The performance at Altrincham was the worst I have witnessed in my lifetime - we've since been beaten by Halifax, Wrexham and Barnet - in those 4 games we have scored 1 goal

9) Fans are already starting to vote with their feet.

10) People like me are negative or "sticking the knife in" just for expressing a view online (and I never boo players etc.).

I adore this football club - but I don't suffer fools gladly - and I think we've got one. No more contributions from me (awaits the glee from usual suspects) - I`ll still attend, cheer and support - whilst watching us wither on the vine (or pitch) if Unsworth stays in charge much longer. Bye.

44 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

5) DU had been seen at very close quarters by both Preston and Everton in caretaker manager roles - and neither saw fit to offer him the job full time (only they will know why not).

Found this quote in The Athletic article interesting:

“A lot of people have asked why I’ve dropped down to the fifth tier but I don’t see it like that. I had five or six opportunities. I always felt like I was pushing it and maybe it was me driving the talks, but here I felt wanted straight away."

That doesn't sound to me like he had "five or six opportunities" at all.  Some initial enquiries maybe, but it sounds like the other clubs chose not to pursue it. As you say - only they will know why not!

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That doesn't sound to me like he had "five or six opportunities" at all.  Some initial enquiries maybe, but it sounds like the other clubs chose not to pursue it. As you say - only they will know why not!

Alternatively:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/news/david-unsworth-pulls-out-of-oxford-running_318182.html

57 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

What a surprise - Chaddyexile with a cheap shot.

Nobody is allowed a contrary view on here are they? (at least not without being jumped on by the usual few).

I`m debating on here no more after this - it's futile. I`ll put it once and for all as I see our present predicament :-

1) Eternally grateful for the takeover - been to every game home and away, bar the televised one, and happy "off the field" will be fine and dandy. Thank you Frank - sincerely.

2) FR knows precious little about football and has put a team together under JR etc. to look after that side of the business.

3) JR and DU have been friends for a long time. They even took on the role of caretaker manager together for one game at the end of an Everton season.

4) DU had, for some time, been viewed as "outdated" and surplus to requirement at Everton and, eventually, they got rid as a result of a re-structure (April 2022 from memory).

6) The stars aligned and his good friend, JR, offered him his first full time role as manager - and then he brought other staff with him.

7) We are paying an absolute small fortune in wages as a result.

8  We are playing worse now than ever we did under the supposed failure that was John Sheridan. The performance at Altrincham was the worst I have witnessed in my lifetime - we've since been beaten by Halifax, Wrexham and Barnet - in those 4 games we have scored 1 goal

9) Fans are already starting to vote with their feet.

10) People like me are negative or "sticking the knife in" just for expressing a view online (and I never boo players etc.).

I adore this football club - but I don't suffer fools gladly - and I think we've got one. No more contributions from me (awaits the glee from usual suspects) - I`ll still attend, cheer and support - whilst watching us wither on the vine (or pitch) if Unsworth stays in charge much longer. Bye.

but where did you get your research from?  An Everton message board?  I think we could all agree that message boards are not necessarily the font of all knowledge?

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We were always going to sit deep with a centre back pairing with a combined age of 73 years old...

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Unless one is a pacey 21 year old, the 52 year old could organise etc

Harrison McGahey was in the gym earlier.

I was looking over whistfully thinking "maybe him with his pace alongside Clarke might work......"

What a time to be alive 

13 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

"Hello? Oxford?  Yes, I'd like to inform you that I'm no longer interested in your managers job.  What do you mean "Who is it?".  It's Rhino! It's Dave! Dave Unsworth! Hello? You still there??"

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I must admit I'd be surprised if they did, as this is the first time he's mentioned it, and it just so happened it coincided with us slipping into the bottom four.

The fact that he has though means we can kiss goodbye to any hope of him changing tactic and going on the attack to try and win games as opposed to trying to not lose them.

Spot on Steve.

. . and the negative spiral continues. 

4 hours ago, Steve_R said:

And is only 2 or 3 weeks after OASF representative(s) being told playoffs were still the aim by a board member.  

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

And is only 2 or 3 weeks after OASF representative(s) being told playoffs were still the aim by a board member.  

Have OASF told us which board member said that? In fact do we get any updates from OASF with regard to meetings they have with the club or do we only know that because 1 OASF director leaked it on Twitter?

Archived