BPAS PODCAST: 14th Nov '22, S3:E15: Darren Royle Part 1

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is no reason to suggest Unsworth will have the success of Royle I highly doubt he will. However the case of Royle and that of Alex Ferguson is a good one for stability in the dugout being a key factor in building success at a football club.

I don't know how Unsworth will do and my thoughts as I left Boundary Park last Saturday were that we may have made a mistake in appointing him. However we've got into a culture probably worse than other clubs for being too trigger happy with Managers. Sacking a manager 11 games into a 3 year contract when we are only just at the beginning of a rebuild would be seen as ludicrous at other clubs it should be here too. 

Stop talking sense, it goes no where  here 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Given we haven't looked like picking a win up against teams in and around us this month it's difficult to see how we can muster three from five, Altrincham and Halifax should of been seen off but we hardly had a shot on target across both games. Maidstone is a massive game for us but I suspect we'll probably end up blaming the pitch or something for being completely dominated.

Agreed, think we will struggle to get the wins. I am just trying to forecast what we would need results wise for the situation not too look absolutely dire before the new year. We also need to be in a good position to attract players, not many will fancy a relegation battle in the bloody national league! 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is no reason to suggest Unsworth will have the success of Royle I highly doubt he will. However the case of Royle and that of Alex Ferguson is a good one for stability in the dugout being a key factor in building success at a football club.

I don't know how Unsworth will do and my thoughts as I left Boundary Park last Saturday were that we may have made a mistake in appointing him. However we've got into a culture probably worse than other clubs for being too trigger happy with Managers. Sacking a manager 11 games into a 3 year contract when we are only just at the beginning of a rebuild would be seen as ludicrous at other clubs it should be here too. 

Did you defend Shez' better record in the same way?

Lot of hypocrisy on here lately, seemingly happy for Shez to go unsupported and baying for his head yet happy to throw a couple of seasons budget and giving the new man 18 months for being more of a dinosaur than Shezasourous, all because everything's coming together off the pitch (which it would of done is Shez was still here), sat there clapping 'we are staying up' as Unsworth gets us to the 45 point mark with a 0-0 draw at home to Bromley on the last day of the season in front of 1822 fans. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Lot of hypocrisy on here lately, seemingly happy for Shez to go unsupported and baying for his head yet happy to throw a couple of seasons budget and giving the new man 18 months for being more of a dinosaur than Shezasourous, all because everything's coming together off the pitch (which it would of done is Shez was still here), sat there clapping 'we are staying up' as Unsworth gets us to the 45 point mark with a 0-0 draw at home to Bromley on the last day of the season in front of 1822 fans. 

Spot on. 

I can’t get my head around one simple point. 

What is the point of stability without results??? 

It’s like saying- losing doesn’t matter because we’ll win one day. . . With absolutely nothing to back it up, and ignoring what is actually happening. 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You can go back and look at my posts if you like from then. I said the problems then was down to us not having a good enough squad rather than the manager since then we've added to the squad considerably. I also said we needed to appoint a Head of Youth development and a Head of recruitment we've done that aswell. Which is why I'm probably more optimistic and will be more patient than others waiting for success.

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

So- give him more time-  because the half squad don’t want to play for him because he’s publicly said they’re shit. . . . . and whose fault is that? 

Are you going to games? If so, what are you seeing that makes you think things will turn? 

I’m watching the same game on repeat. Start well, drop deep- offer nothing going forward.  I wouldn’t be as concerned about results if I could see a performance or plan. But we offer nothing- and all with a huge back room staff assembled at great cost. 

I find it staggering that the majority can’t see what is in front of them. Or am I missing something? (Other than ‘give him time’) 

It’s not that we don’t see the performances and agree they are poor. You will see from what I said, that I agree DU made a mistake in telling the team he felt they weren’t good enough and needed to be replaced. He should have put his arm round them all and tried to at least get effort out of them.

The point I am making and hopefully I’m getting it across, is that our only course now IS to replace the majority of the starting eleven DU inherited.

That would mean a team of players prepared to work hard for DU. That is the time I feel DU should be given. Probably as long as it takes to get another 4 or 5 players good enough at this level.

12 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Unsworth was in charge for 7 games, 8 including the Alti game before he slated them. To say the lack of new manager bounce was down to him slating the players doesn’t make sense. 

Do you think the public slating was the first time he had mentioned he wasn’t happy? There was plenty of opportunity for the manager to tell them that at half time and at the end of games where we performed badly. 

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think we all write off the Lemsagam era as the wrong way of doing pretty much everything. Their hiring and firing of managers was not the right way about getting stability, but probably doesn't even make the top ten of things they did badly.

We now seem a sensibly run club and nobody wants the hiring and firing culture back. However, stability for stability's sake is insane. It all seems to be coming together off the pitch - but Unsworth (and the players, to be fair) aren't pulling their weight in the project. If we go down (which, in spite of what you think, IS a real possibility) it puts the rest of the project back possibly with no recovery. The evidence is stacking up against Unsworth - wiseowl's research, what they say about him on the Everton forum, the fact this is his first permanent senior managers job even though he retired over a decade ago, the abject tactics and performances that have taken us backwards on the pitch, the nonsense he talks in the press, etc.

I want consistency. But I want it with someone good...

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It’s not that we don’t see the performances and agree they are poor. You will see from what I said, that I agree DU made a mistake in telling the team he felt they weren’t good enough and needed to be replaced. He should have put his arm round them all and tried to at least get effort out of them.

The point I am making and hopefully I’m getting it across, is that our only course now IS to replace the majority of the starting eleven DU inherited.

That would mean a team of players prepared to work hard for DU. That is the time I feel DU should be given. Probably as long as it takes to get another 4 or 5 players good enough at this level.

So the question is- will results improve with another 4 or 5 better players. I genuinely don’t think they will. But, we’ll see. 

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So the question is- will results improve with another 4 or 5 better players. I genuinely don’t think they will. But, we’ll see. 

It can, look how Kilkenny, Croft and Hughes gave the team a big lift a few years ago. 

14 hours ago, JoeP said:

We have to get out of this headspace that because Joe Royle was crap when he started and because Unsworth is crap when he started that Unsworth is going to be the next Joe Royle.

It's absolutely nuts and there is literally no link between the two cases.

It's also a myth.

We finished 7th in his first season. 

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

TBF some people were still pretty pissed off at the removal of Jimmy Frizz, Royle was always going to have his detractors early on in his tenure. 

Maybe some people are still upset at the removal of Shez?

38 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Well they have had a few attempts at getting used to it.

I honestly think that most people realised that Shez wasn't the answer. Unsworth may not prove to be the answer but I'm prepared to give him time, with the caveat that if it gets really desperate we take remedial action. 

4 hours ago, BPAS said:

Don't think it's that.  The vast majority agreed we needed someone to come in and steady the ship.

Unfortunately we got someone who's drilled a hole in the hull!

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived