BPAS PODCAST: 21st Nov '22, S3:E16: Darren Royle Part 2

Today, I feel part two of the Darren Royle interview...

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

So Unsworth's CV stood out?  That sort of suggests there was a competitive process for the job?

If Unsworth was brought in to develop the current squad, why did he almost immediately start saying the squad weren't good enough and is constantly going on about bringing new players in?  Can't see that helping with the "football is played 90% above the shoulders" bit either...

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So Unsworth's CV stood out?  That sort of suggests there was a competitive process for the job?

If Unsworth was brought in to develop the current squad, why did he almost immediately start saying the squad weren't good enough and is constantly going on about bringing new players in?  Can't see that helping with the "football is played 90% above the shoulders" bit either...

Wasn't he literally appointed straight away and then revealed he had been watching games whilst Shez was still manager? I think his CV stood out as it was the only one on Darren's desk

15 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Wasn't he literally appointed straight away and then revealed he had been watching games whilst Shez was still manager? I think his CV stood out as it was the only one on Darren's desk

Who knows?  It was well known that Shez wouldn't be here for the long run so maybe plenty were touting themselves for the role.

Unsworth inherited a mainly ramshackle squad of poorly recruited and underperforming players muddled together during what was probably the most disorganised close season in our entire history!!

Can we stop continually analysing and highlighting every single negative and start to appreciate just what having this forward thinking board and its coaching staff will mean to this football club.

We are where we are for obvious reasons and currently are structurally even behind teams like Bromley.

After listening to that podcast It is blatantly obvious that we now have a totally professional set up from top to bottom who in time will no doubt get this football club back up to where it belongs!

Things will get better, things are getting better…….we will not be relegated.

What this club needs right now in these difficult times is the total backing of its supporters and if we continue to do that I’m 100% certain a return to the good times will not be too far off!!

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who knows?  It was well known that Shez wouldn't be here for the long run so maybe plenty were touting themselves for the role.

Don't be naive, even I put on here weeks before Shez was sacked that Unsworth was getting the job. He was the only one ever in the running.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Don't be naive, even I put on here weeks before Shez was sacked that Unsworth was getting the job. He was the only one ever in the running.

I think your merry men are the naive ones thinking the club could be sustainable when that pod explains just how far behind the standard we were (and still are)

We made tentative enquires to bring Pete Wild back from what I'm told, although I don't think it ever got passed the initial this is what it will cost and this is what budget I want conversation...

Where abouts that sits on the Unsworth timeline I couldn't tell you but I heard about it way before Shez stepped down.

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can we stop continually analysing and highlighting every single negative and start to appreciate just what having this forward thinking board and its coaching staff will mean to this football club.

Matt has talked about doing a pod on the pyschology side of things and that'd be really interesting. I do think we're all so conditioned to experience bad outcomes that we're constantly looking for indications that something which seems positive is in fact a negative.  It's probably the same for many employees too which is probably why there's a lot of chat about having to change the culture of the club. 

This probably won't change until we actually start to experience some positives!

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think your merry men are the naive ones thinking the club could be sustainable when that pod explains just how far behind the standard we were (and still are)

Who are MY merry men you refer to?

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Unsworth inherited a mainly ramshackle squad of poorly recruited and underperforming players muddled together during what was probably the most disorganised close season in our entire history!!

We are where we are for obvious reasons and currently are structurally even behind teams like Bromley.

After listening to that podcast It is blatantly obvious that we now have a totally professional set up from top to bottom who in time will no doubt get this football club back up to where it belongs!

Things will get better, things are getting better…….we will not be relegated.

What this club needs right now in these difficult times is the total backing of its supporters and if we continue to do that I’m 100% certain a return to the good times will not be too far off!!

I hear what you're saying - and maybe it is the fact that being a Latics fan for the last 25 years breeds negativity on a psychological level.

Let me be clear - the off field stuff is looking brilliant.  I couldn't be more excited by the people on board and the change in direction we're going in since the Lemsegams and I understand why we are playing "catch-up" even to teams like Bromley.

However, I think there is one, fairly pivotal role at the club that could be making all the efforts going on behind the scenes futile.  Everything off-field seems to be moving in the right direction, but the on-field stuff is letting the project down.  It's gone backwards, while everything else is moving forwards.

Darren said we wanted a manager who will improve the players we had in the squad.  Unsworth hasn't done that.  In fact he's done the opposite. Darren also said "we can't just buy a new squad" which is exactly what Unsworth seems to want to do and has started doing.

Unfortunately just saying "we will not be relegated" doesn't stop the fact that we can actually be relegated.  Just look at the league table.

Long-term?  Brilliant. The club's heading the in the right direction, but unfortunately the short-term needs addressing to ensure all the efforts behind the scenes to improve the long-term aren't in vein..

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Shitpeas for a start Mike, although I agree with you here, Shez was in dead mans shoes, Unsworth was lined up long before we knew about the Rothwell's takeover and in my opinion it is something that was orchestrated by the Royle's, Shez was never backed (rightly or wrongly) Unsworth watching us incognito is the reason why.

19 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Well, I have no detailed awareness, but it appears to be common knowledge that you may have some affinity with some people who may have been associated with the management and governance of the club in the recent past.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, I have no detailed awareness, but it appears to be common knowledge that you may have some affinity with some people who may have been associated with the management and governance of the club in the recent past.

I've been a season ticket holder for 42 years, people pedalling a narrative that i want the team, manager, ownership to fail is absolute nonesense. I want us back in the EFL asap but I won't just standby and let people tell lies and exaggerate if i know it isn't correct and i'll point it out. Just because we have differing opinions doesn't mean we all ultimately want the same thing.

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 21st Nov '22, S3:E16: Darren Royle Part 2
20 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I've been a season ticket holder for 42 years, people pedalling a narrative that i want the team, manager, ownership to fail is absolute nonesense. I want us back in the EFL asap but I won't just standby and let people tell lies and exaggerate if i know it isn't correct and i'll point it out. Just because we have differing opinions doesn't mean we all ultimately want the same thing.

Which begs the question how do you know all these things are definitely true?

I don't know you but you do seem overly negative towards the current regime. 

Can we not feed the troll please he doesn't care about Oldham Athletic. If he did he wouldn't have buddied up to the regime that was the worst thing to ever happen to us he's only interested in power and being involved. He's on the outside now something he is clearly resentful about.

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Darren said we wanted a manager who will improve the current squad.  Unsworth hasn't done that.  In fact he's done the opposite. Darren also said "we can't just buy a new squad" which is exactly what Unsworth seems to want to do and has started doin

You can improve players up to a point but there has to be basic talent to work with and an inherent desire to compete.

It’s been evident from pre-season that the squad were nowhere near good enough in that respect!

He gave them 8 or 9 games where the majority of them found it extremely difficult just to make a 5 yard pass to a teammate!!

IMO…,,,,The squad we started with would have been relegation certainties no matter who the manager was!!!

38 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You can improve players up to a point but there has to be basic talent to work with and an inherent desire to compete.

It’s been evident from pre-season that the squad were nowhere near good enough in that respect!

He gave them 8 or 9 games where the majority of them found it extremely difficult just to make a 5 yard pass to a teammate!!

IMO…,,,,The squad we started with would have been relegation certainties no matter who the manager was!!!

Of course they have basic talent - they wouldn't be this far down the line as footballers if they didn't.

They've also competed - and won more games - under Shez.  

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but to say the squad we started off with were relegations certs is way off.  It wasn't a squad that was going to win promotion either, but neither was it one that should be in the bottom four.  We need to get the best out of what we've got, which Darren sort of suggested we needed to do in his interview, and that isn't happening.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Darren said we wanted a manager who will improve the current squad.  Unsworth hasn't done that.  In fact he's done the opposite. Darren also said "we can't just buy a new squad" which is exactly what Unsworth seems to want to do and has started doing.

Bit early to judge, no? He brought in a couple of faces in his first couple of weeks - granted these haven't been great, but maybe that's all that was available at the time. Others have come in more recently and look like better additions - but they've only played at most a handful of games to date.

55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can we not feed the troll please he doesn't care about Oldham Athletic. If he did he wouldn't have buddied up to the regime that was the worst thing to ever happen to us he's only interested in power and being involved. He's on the outside now something he is clearly resentful about.

Think you are wrong there Glossop, I would say Mike does care about Oldham Athletic, just he sees it from a different angle. 

8 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Bit early to judge, no? He brought in a couple of faces in his first couple of weeks - granted these haven't been great, but maybe that's all that was available at the time. Others have come in more recently and look like better additions - but they've only played at most a handful of games to date.

By the "current squad" I meant the squad he inherited at time of appointment.  He's pretty much said they're all rubbish and he wants to replace the majority.  I'm not sure there's any way back there on that front..

Too early to judge the players he's brought in?  Meh, maybe. More concerned about how any player is going to fit into the system he favours. Saturday seemed an improvement, but we'll need to do it - and win - against better teams in the future.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Think you are wrong there Glossop, I would say Mike does care about Oldham Athletic, just he sees it from a different angle. 

My issue is that he wasn't seeing it from those angles when the Lemsagams and his pal were running the show. Quite the opposite in fact - openly supportive. Which brings in to question the motives for doing it so vocally now.

Archived