Unsworth

10 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Nothing short of cowardice to shove his No.2 in front of the cameras in a desperate attempt to try and avoid any heat. As for Ebbrell... he delivered a true masterclass in spitting out pure verbal diarrhoea... what the fuck was that, John?

What the FUCK is going on?? We've slipped down two divisions now and once again we find ourselves being woefully inconsistent and languishing near the bottom. I'm sick of it and I don't even go to many games anymore.

It's a club plagued with a permanent loser mentality and this isn't helped with wheeling in a bunch of shysters from the next least successful club in the land in recent times.

Will forever be thankful to Frank and his family for stepping in when no one else would but Unsworth must go NOW while there is still time to inject some fight and spirit for the second half of the season.

Said it before,

When you go straight down the tunnel without any acknowledgement of those who've been following the club most of their lives, it's all downhill from there on in and now more of this :petesake:

I think we're done here.

7 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

What is stupid is when 18 yo kids get the blame. We have a stack full of experienced shit, but let's scapegoat a couple of kids. That is just ridiculous. Couto and Peck? Really? That's so pathetic on so many levels.

Nobodies blaming anyone but the manager the fact he keeps playing the pair despite them being so poor is bewildering, if they pull on the shirt and play shit they'll get criticised whether they are 18 or 41, it happens at every club and isn't exclusive to Oldham Athletic. 

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I am afraid so.

As life goes on, I have learnt to spend my money wisely (he says having spent hundreds following us in non-league 😜) - and don't like people "taking the piss". Unsworth is taking said liquid - so no more from me. Seriously fluffy - even you must see how inept this fella is?

I've said we should look for a replacement already 

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Said it before,

When you go straight down the tunnel without any acknowledgement of those who've been following the club most of their lives, it's all downhill from there on in and now more of this :petesake:

I think we're done here.

Oh, another "he didn't come over to abuse shouted at him" moan again

I’m speechless after witnessing that today.
For much of the second half we had four attackers, strung across the front line from left to right, Tollitt, Nuttall, Fondop (Reid), and Abraham who between them and individually failed to:

0. Link up together in any way, shape or form.

1. Create a goal scoring chance.
2. Have the ball at their feet to make a probing forward run.
3. Link up effectively with an overlapping full-back. 
4. Drop a little bit deeper to help out a totally ineffective midfield.
5. Look interested as there was no determination to press their defence throughout the whole of the game. 

So, as a result of all that above, we had completely surrendered midfield.
It just became a matter of time before they scored again. 

It was a complete masterclass of sheer incompetence by our so called manager.

I sat close to Frank, Darren and Joe and their total lack of concern which was evident from their body language at the final whistle would suggest that we can’t expect anything to change, anytime soon.
It was if they had expected it. 

I know I’ve said a lot, but I’m still absolutely speechless.

Other than down to Wealdstone without Clarkey, where do go from here? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

I’m speechless after witnessing that today.
For much of the second half we had four attackers, strung across the front line from left to right, Tollitt, Nuttall, Fondop (Reid), and Abraham who between them and individually failed to:

0. Link up together in any way, shape or form.

1. Create a goal scoring chance.
2. Have the ball at their feet to make a probing forward run.
3. Link up effectively with an overlapping full-back. 
4. Drop a little bit deeper to help out a totally ineffective midfield.
5. Look interested as there was no determination to press their defence throughout the whole of the game. 

So, as a result of all that above, we had completely surrendered midfield.
It just became a matter of time before they scored again. 

I sat close to Frank, Darren and Joe and their total lack of concern which was evident from their body language at the final whistle would suggest that we can’t expect anything to change, anytime soon.

I know I’ve said a lot, but I’m still absolutely speechless.

Other than down to Wealdstone without Clarkey, where do go from here? 

Every good team has a balanced set up - why anyone, let alone Unsworth, thinks that throwing on three attackers/strikers is going to work is beyond me. 
We needed to strengthen the midfield but he left Gardner & Rooney on the bench - baffling decision.

As for Wealdstone - given the weather forecast for next week, I doubt it will be on 🤔

11 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Nothing to do with the advertising boards he keeps belly aching about, thats the pylons that have been neglected for years 

So leave them neglected now money is available, a strange philosophy. @Chaddyexile84 loves to berate my posts and many others, very sad.

Even sadder is I've had to block you again due to your persistent targeting.

Edited by BP1960

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So leave them neglected now money is available, a strange philosophy. @Chaddyexile84 loves to berate my posts and many others, very sad.

Even sadder is I've had to block you again due to your persistent targeting.

He's got a point. It's the light lacking from the floodlights that's the issue. More snowflakery on show

10 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I've said we should look for a replacement already 

Oh, another "he didn't come over to abuse shouted at him" moan again

If he was doing his job correctly, he'd be getting nothing but praise from our brilliant fan's 

To say the man's fallen on his feet here, is a massive understatement and right now he's having a very easy ride.

I have been in the “stick” camp with Unsworth longer than most, but leading into to Christmas I was on the fence. I did not expect to win at Notts County, but I thought things were improving, but the 4-1 defeat made me I fall off the fence into the “twist” camp. After the 2-2 draw I wondered if I had been hasty and maybe most new mangers find it hard to get a team on track. Therefore I made a list of all the new managers engaged after Unsworth’s appointment (up to the end of 2022) in the top 5 divisions, to compare performance to Unsworth. There are 26 managers altogether.

The question now is how you rank/compare the managers? Win percentage, league position change etc. Below are some of the top and bottom 10 of each ranking. Only league games were considered.

Win %

1. 82% Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games

2. 73% Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

3. 67% Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games.

4. 60% Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games.

5. 53% Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

6/7/8/9. 50% Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games. Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games. David Webb (York) 4 games.

10. 45% Danny Schofield (Doncaster) 11 games.

26/25. 0% Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games. Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

24. 17% Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

23/22/21/20. 20% Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games. Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. David Unsworth 15 games.

19. 24% Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games.

18/17 25% Mark Jackson (MK Dons) 4 games. Graham Coughlan (Newport) 12 games.

Loss %

1. 11% Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games

2. 13% Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games

3. 17% Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games

4/5. 18% Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games. Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

6./7. 20%  Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

8/9/10. 25% Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. David Webb (York) 4 games. Graham Coughlan (Newport) 12 games.

26. 100% Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games

25. 80% Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games.

24. 75% Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games.

23. 67% Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

22/21. 60% Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games.

20/19/18. 53% Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games. David Unsworth 15 games. Matt Bloomfield (Colchester) 15 games.

17. 50% Mark Jackson (MK Dons) 4 games.

Change in  league position (-ve = lower)

1/2. 17, Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games. Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

3. 7 Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

4. 6, Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games.

5. 5, Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games.

6/7. 4, Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games.

8/9 3, Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

10. 2. Matt Bloomfield (Colchester) 15 games

26/25/24. -6, Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games. David Unsworth 15 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games

23. -5, Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

22. -4, Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games.

21/20/19. -2, Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games. Gary Caldwell 11 games.

18/17. -1, Lee Bell (Crewe) 8 games. Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games

Goal difference

1. 17 Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games.

2. 11 Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games.

3. 10 Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

4. 7 Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

5/6. 4 Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games. Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games.

7/8. 3 Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games. Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games.

9. 2 David Webb (York) 4 games

10/11. 1 Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

26. -14 David Unsworth 15 games.

24. -11 Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games

23. -10 Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

22. -8 Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games.

21. -7 Mark Fotheringham (Hudderesfield) 17 games

20/19/18. -5  Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games. Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

17/16 -5 Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games Danny Schofield (Doncaster) 11 games.

One thing that I noticed was that Aldershot are in a bad way, and could soon be below us, but that is very little consolation.

Unworth’s comparison summary

Pros:

Not in the bottom 10 for goals for per match. Actually 11th.

8th highest draw percentage (27%).

Cons:

You can see them above.

Joint 3rd worst in goals conceded per match

I think the data above just reinforces the “twist” camp.

A pity we could not have interested Michael Carrick at the time.

(and yes I need to get out more).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, hollandspies said:

Exactly why I am boycotting from here. It's the only thing that has an affect i.e. don't waste your hard earned money on this ferkin tripe. 

Surely Frank and Joe can't continue to let blind loyalty cloud their judgement - can they?

9 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Exactly why I am boycotting from here. It's the only thing that has an affect i.e. don't waste your hard earned money on this ferkin tripe. 

Surely Frank and Joe can't continue to let blind loyalty cloud their judgement - can they?

So you’ll ‘come back’ if we sack Unsworth. What happens if the next manager is just as bad or not much better? When does ‘Boycott 3’ start?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ex_pat said:

I have been in the “stick” camp with Unsworth longer than most, but leading into to Christmas I was on the fence. I did not expect to win at Notts County, but I thought things were improving, but the 4-1 defeat made me I fall off the fence into the “twist” camp. After the 2-2 draw I wondered if I had been hasty and maybe most new mangers find it hard to get a team on track. Therefore I made a list of all the new managers engaged after Unsworth’s appointment (up to the end of 2022) in the top 5 divisions, to compare performance to Unsworth. There are 26 managers altogether.

The question now is how you rank/compare the managers? Win percentage, league position change etc. Below are some of the top and bottom 10 of each ranking. Only league games were considered.

Win %

1. 82% Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games

2. 73% Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

3. 67% Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games.

4. 60% Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games.

5. 53% Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

6/7/8/9. 50% Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games. Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games. David Webb (York) 4 games.

10. 45% Danny Schofield (Doncaster) 11 games.

26/25. 0% Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games. Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

24. 17% Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

23/22/21/20. 20% Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games. Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. David Unsworth 15 games.

19. 24% Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games.

18/17 25% Mark Jackson (MK Dons) 4 games. Graham Coughlan (Newport) 12 games.

Loss %

1. 11% Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games

2. 13% Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games

3. 17% Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games

4/5. 18% Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games. Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

6./7. 20%  Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

8/9/10. 25% Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. David Webb (York) 4 games. Graham Coughlan (Newport) 12 games.

26. 100% Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games

25. 80% Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games.

24. 75% Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games.

23. 67% Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

22/21. 60% Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games.

20/19/18. 53% Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games. David Unsworth 15 games. Matt Bloomfield (Colchester) 15 games.

17. 50% Mark Jackson (MK Dons) 4 games.

Change in  league position (-ve = lower)

1/2. 17, Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games. Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

3. 7 Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

4. 6, Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games.

5. 5, Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games.

6/7. 4, Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games.

8/9 3, Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

10. 2. Matt Bloomfield (Colchester) 15 games

26/25/24. -6, Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games. David Unsworth 15 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games

23. -5, Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

22. -4, Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games.

21/20/19. -2, Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games. Gary Caldwell 11 games.

18/17. -1, Lee Bell (Crewe) 8 games. Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games

Goal difference

1. 17 Paul Warne (Derby) 16 games.

2. 11 Carlos Corberan (WBA) 17 games.

3. 10 Michael Carrick (Middlesbro) 17 games.

4. 7 Slaven Bilic (Watford) 17 games.

5/6. 4 Unai Emery (Villa) 6 games. Liam Rosenior (Hull) 9 games.

7/8. 3 Dean Holden (Charlton) 6 games. Rob Edwards (Luton) 4 games.

9. 2 David Webb (York) 4 games

10/11. 1 Julen Lopetegul (Wolves) 4 games. Mark Cooper (Yeovil) 16 games.

26. -14 David Unsworth 15 games.

24. -11 Matt Taylor (Rotherham) 17 games

23. -10 Kolo Toure (Wigan) 6 games.

22. -8 Ross McNally (Aldershot) 4 games.

21. -7 Mark Fotheringham (Hudderesfield) 17 games

20/19/18. -5  Nathan Jones (Southampton) 5 games. Matthew Etherington (Crawley) 5 games. Neil Critchley (QPR) 6 games.

17/16 -5 Michael Nelson (Scunthorpe) 5 games Danny Schofield (Doncaster) 11 games.

One thing that I noticed was that Aldershot are in a bad way, and could soon be below us, but that is very little consolation.

Unworth’s comparison summary

Pros:

Not in the bottom 10 for goals for per match. Actually 11th.

8th highest draw percentage (27%).

Cons:

You can see them above.

Joint 3rd worst in goals conceded per match

I think the data above just reinforces the “twist” camp.

A pity we could not have interested Michael Carrick at the time.

(and yes I need to get out more).

Good research 👍

I’ve tried my hardest to say stick with DU, stability, give him time etc. But yesterday was a real chance to build momentum after Dorking and against a relegation rival. It sounds as though we were right back to square one.

Your stats show DU has had more games to show some kind of progress than most of the others you’ve measured. I think we need a change.

10 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Boycotting because of results and performances on the pitch? What a load of shite. It's just being a fairweather fan.

If going to Latics was based on fairweather we'd have no fans left based on the last 15 seasons. 

As for paying to watch that shite I sympathise with anyone whose actually forking out for it, stupidly I payed for the privilege yesterday and really should of known better.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Boycotting because of results and performances on the pitch? What a load of shite. It's just being a fairweather fan.

I'm not boycotting, I'm just not paying 22 quid to watch absolute shite. If that makes me a fairweather fan that's fine, I've seen us finish top half 5 times in my lifetime. Can't be arsed with it anymore

• Like 3