Loan Watch

Dynamo ( or Dinamo) were associated with the police . Not always police as we know them…so sometimes security or internal affairs. Basically the organisation behind Dynamo sports clubs , it wasn’t just football, wielded a lot of power. Players could be civil servants in such an organisation rather than cops. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Did they become Leigh RMI? As the RMI was for Railway Mechanics Institute wasn't it.

Yes, 1995. A new team was formed under the Horwich RMI name which is still going - down in the Manchester League with my (other) boys.

Edited by oafcmetty

My Mum and Uncle did a lot of family tree digging during lockdowns and came up with a branch of the family (the Robinsons) that had moved over here from Northern Ireland (weirdly only a few miles from where my partner comes from) in the mid 19th century, largely to work in mills although none of them found their way to Oldham (that being my Dad's side).  A couple of generations on one of the Robinsons was an engineer at the Vulcan Motors factory in Southport which later became a site for manufacture of cathode ray tubes for what eventually became Thorn EMI

In 1918 Vulcan Motors bought Southport FC and renamed the club Southport Vulcan, thus becoming the first club in the world to have a commercial entity as part of its name.  That only lasted a couple of years before it reverted to Southport FC when Vulcan Motors was taken over by Harper Bean; the whole lot eventually became part of British Leyland.

I wonder if Jimmy Hill knew there was a precedent when he tried to rename Coventry City as Coventry Talbot in the 70s but was barred from doing so by the FA

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

York RI still plays at open age and youth levels, 

Not Mechanics but originally for railway workers and now a sports club open to all. 

Think I may have had a pint in there a few years ago on the way to the races if it's the one on the right after leaving the station.

Really cheap beer and free snooker ! 👍

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

While we're on the subject of unusual club names, Jeff Stelling was on top form when he said "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" after that team won a game a few years ago.

Another example of how teams evolve, as they are now called The New Saints, and have been since the mid-2000's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think I may have had a pint in there a few years ago on the way to the races if it's the one on the right after leaving the station.

Really cheap beer and free snooker ! 👍

Yes, that's right although it's under threat as part of a station development.

Its sports ground and club are a couple of miles away in a suburb.

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Totally unrelated.

But Bender if you’re reading this can you start the Newport away thread please. (It kinda feels like your job now 😉)

It’s been a very quiet week on here, and I need to talk some bollocks about the team again. 

I don't think bender is a person, I may be wrong but I'm sure Ackey said it was a bot. 

On 11/1/2023 at 12:04 PM, Hemel latic said:

OK, the paper mills closed in 1981. They seem to prefer to be known as Cray Valley (PM), the "Paper Mills" in full perhaps revived for the, clears throat, magic of the FA Cup.

Turns out I once played Sunday League at their ground. They moved from the Cray Valley area to Eltham some years ago 

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

But Bender if you’re reading this can you start the Newport away thread please. (It kinda feels like your job now 😉)

12 hours ago, disjointed said:

I don't think bender is a person, I may be wrong but I'm sure Ackey said it was a bot. 

I'll ask @Matt to give the rust bucket a kick.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, League one forever said:

Totally unrelated.

It’s been a very quiet week on here, and I need to talk some bollocks about the team again. 

@Bender does what he does, I can't control it. The last time I asked for some updated stats he demanded extra liquor, then told me to go bone myself.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ashton v Guiseley today. Cueto looked OK. Better attacking but was up against a very useful right winger on loan at Guiseley from Dale.

Moore didn't see a lot of the ball but made a couple of good driving runs and a decent cross or two. How they play football on these pitches at this time of year god only knows. Great effort from both teams.

Chatting to a Guiseley fan about Stones. They are very proud of him.

• Like 1