MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/02/23

11 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Rooney and Gardner have to start on Saturday. Makes a big difference having a runner like Reid up top instead of Fondop. Creates space in the middle and allows players like Gardner and Rooney to take advantage.

Totally agree. Just wish Reid could grab a goal to boost his confidence. Think he could really blossom then.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Let's not get carried away. Conceding two to a side that never turned up and getting bailed out by a freak penalty is not exactly champagne worthy. I don't have much faith in Unsworth to get a consistent tune out of this side.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

He won’t. That first half was shockingly bad. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner added much more life to the midfield and it rubbed off on the other players.

Spends his time out of position chasing people round that's why he looks so busy then hell try that stupid Cruyff turn and lose it or misplace a Hollywood ball by 30 yards. Rooney far better.

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Be interested to know BP1960 what you make of Sutton.

I know you think he is one for the future (I agree) but do you reckon he could be a long term RB rather than CB? He seems mobile enough, can tackle and his distribution is not the worst, though might be improved. 

Agree about Gardner. He and Rooney made us tick. Summer priority targets must be younger versions of both to really strengthen the squad.

I think Sutton is just filling in at right back and eventually will make a very good centre back.

It's good he can play both positions though.

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

Rooney and Gardner have to start on Saturday. Makes a big difference having a runner like Reid up top instead of Fondop. Creates space in the middle and allows players like Gardner and Rooney to take advantage.

Reid's mobility was excellent, if only Nuttall could show more aggesion it would be a good partnership.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Can’t agree. He’s been dire this season. 20 minutes of half decent play tonight doesn’t  change that. 

Do you honestly believe we'd have scored 4 goals without him tonight. I don't.

He's been playing with injuries and looked a lot fitter.

Our League form in 2023 is

P6 W 3 D 2 L 1 11pts at 1.833 points per game.

If you maintain that form over the course of the season that's 84.33 points which puts you in the play offs. So getting into the top 7 does allow you to throw in the odd Halifax type of performance in every 6 games. Ofcourse had we beaten Halifax Saturday we'd now be upto 15th which would have made things look alot more Rosey.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Our League form in 2023 is

P6 W 3 D 2 L 1 11pts at 1.833 points per game.

If you maintain that form over the course of the season that's 84.33 points which puts you in the play offs. So getting into the top 7 does allow you to throw in the odd Halifax type of performance in every 6 games. Ofcourse had we beaten Halifax Saturday we'd now be upto 15th which would have made things look alot more Rosey.

Purely looking at the numbers those 6 games look like decent form, but they've been spread quite far apart due to postponements.  Even our back-to-back wins in that run had a poor home Trophy defeat against a relegation rival in between it, so I wouldn't say that we're in good form.

The last 2 and next 3 games really interest me, because the next three are our last proper chance to make things easy for ourselves this season.  However the last two games have shown that while the squad is good enough to put in performances to win at this level, they don't make things easy for themselves.

Win all 3 and we're a mid-table team for the last 15 games, 7 points from 9 is passable.  Anything less and we're going to stay in the relegation battle for the rest of the season.

It was a shocking first half performance and if it wasn’t for the comical penalty we got given for the third, I think we’d have gone on to lose with Dagenham in the ascendancy.

However, getting Rooney and Gardener on the ball meant we had some composure and Reid up front with Nuttall is the combination we have needed for a while. The shackles were off for the first time in the second half and what a difference it made. Felt like Unsworth has stumbled on to that with Fondop’s red card and Shelton’s injury but hopefully he’s learned that we’re better when we take the games to our opponents. 

Good to see everyone celebrating a win back at BP, a shame the Taurus hired thugs were back in town in numbers.

8 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Can’t agree. He’s been dire this season. 20 minutes of half decent play tonight doesn’t  change that. 

He seems to be made of biscuits these days, which has badly affected his form.  He is still our best player on his day.  Always wants the ball and tries to make things happen.

Unfortunately we might have to make do with him playing 1 in 3 or similar as I don't think his body can cope playing every match..

Was it 442 last night with Rooney on the right?

How about the Shelton injury? Did he look like he was carrying a knock.

Interested in the good reviews for Gardner. Was Interested to see him on the bench for the first time in a while.

Would like to know if that was because of improved fitness, a concern abouts another midfielder, or another reason.

20 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Felt like Unsworth has stumbled on to that with Fondop’s red card and Shelton’s injury but hopefully he’s learned that we’re better when we take the games to our opponents. 

This.  Doesn’t say much for his managerial abilities though.

59 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Purely looking at the numbers those 6 games look like decent form, but they've been spread quite far apart due to postponements.  Even our back-to-back wins in that run had a poor home Trophy defeat against a relegation rival in between it, so I wouldn't say that we're in good form.

The last 2 and next 3 games really interest me, because the next three are our last proper chance to make things easy for ourselves this season.  However the last two games have shown that while the squad is good enough to put in performances to win at this level, they don't make things easy for themselves.

Win all 3 and we're a mid-table team for the last 15 games, 7 points from 9 is passable.  Anything less and we're going to stay in the relegation battle for the rest of the season.

The fact that we have had postponements has actually made it harder to get any type momentum going together which is why the fanbase is still restless which is why the numbers to me are in a way more impressive. We mustn't totally discount the Gateshead game no and I feel we will have the odd Gateshead or Halifax performance between now and the end of the season. But I felt we crossed an important bridge last night on 2 counts

1 - We fought back from going a goal down their was a restlessness going into the game from the crowd you could tell from the ironic cheers after the 1st shot of the game and being booed off at half time. The players didn't go into their shell in the 2nd half they came out fighting.

2. For the 1st time this season we actually controlled the middle of the pitch the impact of both Gardner and Rooney here was noticeable. I expect both to start next game.

It showed something I haven't previously seen in this team I hope they build on it next game.

Rooney started on the left of midfield, but when on occasions he dropped into a more central position behind the strikers he linked play up well and drew defenders in.

Gardner is desperate to get on the ball and make things happen. Not everything comes off for him, but when he keeps it simple he can open things up, even if he wanders out of position. He covered well towards the end of the game and helped break things up on a couple of occasions. Both players start again for me.

I think it’s harsh to say Unsworth stumbled across playing Reid because of Fondop’s suspension. Our best form from a points perspective was with Nuttall and Fondop up front together in January. So as much as I didn’t think it was the right pairing I can understand him keeping them together. Coupled with the fact Reid has been injured. 

Not having watched ANY of your games, but :

1. You beat a side with play-off aspirations last night

2.You finished a game strongly and decisively

3. However it happened, that it 11 points from 6

4. Two of the relegation spots are looking increasingly nailed on, improving your prospects

Like football fans the world over, you have a tendency to reach firm conclusions and then twist yourself in knots when what happens doesn't fit with the  prevailing theory (in this case, "we're all doomed"). Thus defeats become a disaster and you start looking for reasons to downplay your victories. 

In the run up to the Notts County double header I thought you were in very deep trouble. Now, I think you are in a very decent position to kick on. It's modest progress, and nothing to get giddy about. But it is progress nonetheless, seen through my admittedly dispassionate eyes. And as I said at the beginning, I'm not watching the games.

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

4. Two of the relegation spots are looking increasingly nailed on, improving your prospects

Like football fans the world over, you have a tendency to reach firm conclusions and then twist yourself in knots when what happens doesn't fit with the  prevailing theory (in this case, "we're all doomed"). Thus defeats become a disaster and you start looking for reasons to downplay your victories. 

In the run up to the Notts County double header I thought you were in very deep trouble. Now, I think you are in a very decent position to kick on. It's modest progress, and nothing to get giddy about. But it is progress nonetheless, seen through my admittedly dispassionate eyes. And as I said at the beginning, I'm not watching the games.

I'm not sure Dagenham have any playoff aspirations. They were utter tripe...

2 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

This.  Doesn’t say much for his managerial abilities though.

How did he stumble on picking Sutton over P Clarke / J Clarke?

Stumbled on bringing on Gardner and not Chapman?

Reid and not Timmy?

[REDACTED]

Really good second performance after another poor first half display. It's a bit irritating that it always feels reactive, why can't they be on the front foot like that straight away? Rooney was great, and I thought Gardner was really good after coming on. Also impressed by Reid, his movement is really good and he's always looking to press from the front. He just needs a goal or two and I think he'll kick on

They have to back this result up against Gateshead next week now

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The fact that we have had postponements has actually made it harder to get any type momentum going together which is why the fanbase is still restless which is why the numbers to me are in a way more impressive. We mustn't totally discount the Gateshead game no and I feel we will have the odd Gateshead or Halifax performance between now and the end of the season. But I felt we crossed an important bridge last night on 2 counts

1 - We fought back from going a goal down their was a restlessness going into the game from the crowd you could tell from the ironic cheers after the 1st shot of the game and being booed off at half time. The players didn't go into their shell in the 2nd half they came out fighting.

2. For the 1st time this season we actually controlled the middle of the pitch the impact of both Gardner and Rooney here was noticeable. I expect both to start next game.

It showed something I haven't previously seen in this team I hope they build on it next game.

This may just be the most important thing from last night - well, apart from the 3 points, obviously. Credit to Nuttall as well - misses a penalty, hits the woodwork, but still didn't shirk from taking the second penalty. That shows cojones!

36 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It's always good to get your objective view - as you say, we all go bananas on here, it's unavoidable given the recent history.

I reckon when we get promotion out of this league @basilrobbieshould get VIP treatment at Boundary Park on the day! 😆

58 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not sure Dagenham have any playoff aspirations. They were utter tripe...

We have play off aspirations according to the Ibbmeister on the phone in  : -)

Seriously, their fans were still chatting about play offs on the live feed.     That's fans for you;  always moaning always dreaming.

Archived