MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/02/23

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheron first half was very good, he played well again, Gardner did okay but thought the big difference was Rooney who looked back to his old self, Reid, Nuttall, Tollitt, Yarney, Sutton, Gardner, Rooney, Sheron all contributed thought Hogan looked ropey at times and Kitching not at his best but other than that we did okay, Normam be disappointed with the second but he's been decent last few games so I'll forgive him.

Biggest frustration is why can't we play with that intensity and have a go every week it's so much better to watch and I know we'll make errors and concede or lose our shape but fuck it, it's so much better watching us have a go than setting up for a nil nil and hoping to nick it. 

Give them couple of days off and kick on now.

Enjoyed that, especially 2nd half. Even 1st half there were improvements and more attacking intent.

Gardner is good when he keeps it simple. 
Tollitt’s best game in months.

Rooney still out of position but better than Chapman. Great finish by Chapman though in fairness. 

Reid and Nuttall a better partnership than Fondop and Nuttall. 
I like Yarney and feel Hogan is bang average. 
Typical Sheron performance, does the dirty work well and popped up with a beauty. 
Bad mistake from Norman, he has that in his locker but didn’t cost us, and in fairness he’s been consistently good these last few months. 

Dagenham absolutely dreadful. 

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Enjoyed that, especially 2nd half. Even 1st half there were improvements and more attacking intent.

Gardner is good when he keeps it simple. 
Tollitt’s best game in months.

Rooney still out of position but better than Chapman. Great finish by Chapman though in fairness. 

Reid and Nuttall a better partnership than Fondop and Nuttall. 
I like Yarney and feel Hogan is bang average. 
Typical Sheron performance, does the dirty work well and popped up with a beauty. 
Bad mistake from Norman, he has that in his locker but didn’t cost us, and in fairness he’s been consistently good these last few months. 

Dagenham absolutely dreadful. 

Junior Morias is the fattest centre forward by a considerable number of tyres

56 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Okay, so what made that happen in the second half and what are the chances it can be maintained? Could have been 5 or 6 in the end. I am completely at a loss.

Gardner added much more life to the midfield and it rubbed off on the other players.

I thought first half we were quite poor. Their left midfielder had so much freedom to cut in and play a pass. Second half was a lot better, apart from a few shaky spells. I was very impressed with Gardner. That's the Gardner we know he can be. Rooney impressed me. We were alright at the back, but still shaky at times. I love how Abraham proper puts a shift in when he comes on. However, that was an awful shot when he should have passed it across the box. 

Also, I understand a few of our fans go way over the top when it comes to "limbs" and celebrating. However, some of our stewards were an absolute disgrace tonight. Swarms of people running to the players to celebrate, yet four of them grab Top On Groundhopper George and start man handling him. Disgusting.

Credit to those D&R fans coming all that way on a Tuesday night. Must be mad!

Chuffed for Unsworth. I don't want to see a manager do badly. He's probably a proper nice bloke. Lets hope this is the start of something good now. 

Oh Boundary Park!

The Place to Be!

:comeon:

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheron first half was very good, he played well again, Gardner did okay but thought the big difference was Rooney who looked back to his old self, Reid, Nuttall, Tollitt, Yarney, Sutton, Gardner, Rooney, Sheron all contributed thought Hogan looked ropey at times and Kitching not at his best but other than that we did okay, Normam be disappointed with the second but he's been decent last few games so I'll forgive him.

Biggest frustration is why can't we play with that intensity and have a go every week it's so much better to watch and I know we'll make errors and concede or lose our shape but fuck it, it's so much better watching us have a go than setting up for a nil nil and hoping to nick it. 

Give them couple of days off and kick on now.

spot on 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Just got in from work. 

Pure relief seeing the result. 😁

Good to hear the reports we actually played on the front second half. 

Please, please, please can we show the same intent moving forward. 

One thing I noticed we didn’t do today was drop and stay deep when they pressed, which wasn’t much in fairness.  We pushed them back out. Decent performance against a poor side which at times as we always do, made hard work of.  

Miles better that tonight.

I actually thought we played well 1st half and didn't get the reward for the way we played. The crowd were getting restless when we went a goal down and we were teetering if we had gone 2-0 down it might have got quite toxic. However credit to the players they showed good character tonight to come back the way they did 2nd half. Super strike from Sheron didn't think he had that in his locker Good to see Rooney get on the score sheet too it's taken a while but he looks like he's settling in now. Credit to Nuttall aswell here he misses the 1st pen and after he hits the post you could have forgiven him if he didn't want the 2nd pen but he ran over grabbed the ball and knowone was taking it off him I like to see that in a striker I want them to want to have that mean streak. Credit aswell to Dan Gardner he made a real positive impact as we got the ball and passed it and we weren't just lumping it upto the forwards. 

Overall felt really happy with that one of our best performances I've seen under Unsworth. The players should take alot of confidence from that performance tonight Dagenham are no mugs at National League level and we were the better side tonight and deserved the win.

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still feel cheated that I went to that match. Would have been just as happy staying at home, watching Waterloo Road and checking the score at 9.30. Good result David...

You always said DU was going nowhere.

Let's not get carried away. Conceding two to a side that never turned up and getting bailed out by a freak penalty is not exactly champagne worthy. I don't have much faith in Unsworth to get a consistent tune out of this side.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Much better that, bit  better first half than it was Saturday, albeit a very low bar.

Much more purpose to our game second half, Rooney, Gardner driving us forward and better spirit and forward mobility than generally shown.  

7 or 8 players perfomed well, that's the standard we need to achieve every game and we will be fine

Rooney and Gardner have to start on Saturday. Makes a big difference having a runner like Reid up top instead of Fondop. Creates space in the middle and allows players like Gardner and Rooney to take advantage.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner added much more life to the midfield and it rubbed off on the other players.

Be interested to know BP1960 what you make of Sutton.

I know you think he is one for the future (I agree) but do you reckon he could be a long term RB rather than CB? He seems mobile enough, can tackle and his distribution is not the worst, though might be improved. 

Agree about Gardner. He and Rooney made us tick. Summer priority targets must be younger versions of both to really strengthen the squad.

28 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner is our best player, if we can get him playing he’s exactly what we need in the middle. He has errors in him though. 

Can’t agree. He’s been dire this season. 20 minutes of half decent play tonight doesn’t  change that. 

Archived