MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/02/23

The first half wasn't pretty, but when this season as it been pretty football?. In truth we had the lions share of half chances and shots albeit weak and tame efforts and their keeper never worked. They had one chance and took it whilst we did our usual dallying to get rid.

Second half we hit two quick goals, missed a pen and hit the post before the sucker punch of a Norman error and due to history you sit there thinking here we go again. For me it was noticeable that ever player was pressing more, running more and winning the ball more. Even Nuttall was chasing down more second half and he got his reward bagging the second pen. The fourth was a good shot like Sherons,

Hopefully the penny has dropped that we need the higher work rate and play on the front foot every game from minute one. 

It;s good to have the winning feeling again.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It is our reality though. I have seen most games this season and the standard of football is abysmal. With a few exceptions, players at this level play a basic game. 
‘The beautiful game’ it certainly isn’t.

My advice would be to take a break for the sake of your health.

I have come to terms with our new reality - it doesn’t define my life, it’s just part of it - I enjoy the good parts and, whilst not liking it, accept the bad.

It’s only a game, nothing more. 😃

Best way to be, as much as I love my club I find it doesn't define the way I feel after a result one way or the other. 

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Get what? That we're 19th in the Vauxhall Conference and should be nowhere near 19th in the Vauxhall Conference...?

Why should you be "nowhere near 19th in the Vauxhall Conference"? You have no God-given right to be anywhere else, and after the way that the club has been run into the ground in recent years it will take time to recover.

It is THREE years since our club was put Into the current ownership and they still haven't managed to sort out all the shit they inherited. And they are learning that managing a football club is not remotely like running many other businesses, and a lot harder than it looks. 

9 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Why should you be "nowhere near 19th in the Vauxhall Conference"? You have no God-given right to be anywhere else, and after the way that the club has been run into the ground in recent years it will take time to recover.

It is THREE years since our club was put Into the current ownership and they still haven't managed to sort out all the shit they inherited. And they are learning that managing a football club is not remotely like running many other businesses, and a lot harder than it looks. 

Because we have spent an absolute fortune this season on the squad. These players should not be 19th in the Vauxhall Conference...

28 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Because we have spent an absolute fortune this season on the squad. These players should not be 19th in the Vauxhall Conference...

Completely agree with this. @basilrobbie I get that the league isn't easy to get out of, but our particularly brand of basket case is a bit different to the ones that have come before. Our off the field turnaround started immediately, and the manager has been given a lot of backing.

As for the refrain that the quality in this league compares favourably to league 2. It really, really doesn't. The football is dreadful. The teams are mostly really shit.

It was the same myth spouted when we dropped to league 2. That was a hell of a drop in quality too.

The fact that Unsworth and his pals haven't done better with the players at his disposal is testament to the fact that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I hold some hope (however little) that he might learn very quickly on the job here on in.

Like @Lee Sinnott said in an earlier post. He'll probably get to start next season and see how we do. Personally not entirely against this idea.

So we don't think we have a god given right to be higher up the league,  but if I was Frank Rothwell I might feel a bit miffed that we aren't given his investment on the playing side of things.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Well, you might think that, but you know, some of us think differently.

We need to decide what is going to happen with .

Leutwiler
Clarke
Angol
McGahey
Maynard
Windass
Stobbs
Porter
Hope
Da Silva 
Luamba

Gardner

None of which were signed by Unsworth , but are probably stopping him from strengthening the midfield and signing a full back. I expect most if not all these will be gone end of season . To be replaced with players that will better balance the team and squad as a whole.Then we can expect a higher league position '

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

Should we be worried that our consensus 'best second half performance' comes in a game where Dave only spent 5 minutes with them and then instead let them go out on the pitch and figure it out for themselves? 

Also the team that started the second half had SIX players that he didn’t sign:

Norman, Hogan, Sutton, Gardner, Sheron & Tollit

😃

18 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Should we be worried that our consensus 'best second half performance' comes in a game where Dave only spent 5 minutes with them and then instead let them go out on the pitch and figure it out for themselves? 

That's a really interesting point and one I hadn't thought of...

11 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Completely agree with this. @basilrobbie I get that the league isn't easy to get out of, but our particularly brand of basket case is a bit different to the ones that have come before. Our off the field turnaround started immediately, and the manager has been given a lot of backing.

As for the refrain that the quality in this league compares favourably to league 2. It really, really doesn't. The football is dreadful. The teams are mostly really shit.

It was the same myth spouted when we dropped to league 2. That was a hell of a drop in quality too.

The fact that Unsworth and his pals haven't done better with the players at his disposal is testament to the fact that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I hold some hope (however little) that he might learn very quickly on the job here on in.

Like @Lee Sinnott said in an earlier post. He'll probably get to start next season and see how we do. Personally not entirely against this idea.

So we don't think we have a god given right to be higher up the league,  but if I was Frank Rothwell I might feel a bit miffed that we aren't given his investment on the playing side of things.

Got to say I agree with this. I keep hearing that the standard at this level is really high, but it usually comes from people who never watch it. Wrexham and Notts county are miles ahead of everyone else and will do ok if they go up. I thought Chesterfield and Barnet looked useful. Although chesterfield are falling away. Didn’t go to Woking so can’t comment on them, but the standard of the rest is poor, and for us to be near the bottom of the pile is nowhere near good enough. As you say, our recovery as a club is under way, and while I appreciate it’ll take time, a relegation battle playing shite football isn’t acceptable given the backing the manager has had.

What's struck me throughout is that most of these clubs were more settled going into the season than we were.

We were still scrabbling around signing players right up to the start of the season. The NL clubs had continuity and settled squads.

They also had a lot of the infrastructure in place that we've had to replace in the early part of the season.

I'd add Bromley to the list of decent sides. I didn't go myself but others seemed impressed by Wealdstone and Solihull.

I do wonder if we've also been a bit arrogant, some of the fanbase certainly has been, maybe the playing staff.

Hopefully next season when we start on the same footing as everyone else we can give it a good go.

26 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Got to say I agree with this. I keep hearing that the standard at this level is really high, but it usually comes from people who never watch it. Wrexham and Notts county are miles ahead of everyone else and will do ok if they go up. I thought Chesterfield and Barnet looked useful. Although chesterfield are falling away. Didn’t go to Woking so can’t comment on them, but the standard of the rest is poor, and for us to be near the bottom of the pile is nowhere near good enough. As you say, our recovery as a club is under way, and while I appreciate it’ll take time, a relegation battle playing shite football isn’t acceptable given the backing the manager has had.

Pretty much the same every season I think - seems like the promoted clubs pretty much always do well.  Stockport in the play off positions and Grimsby holding their own despite only just sneaking into the NL play-offs.  Bit different to, say, the jump from L1 to Championship where the promoted sides often struggle.

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Woking were good as well as Bromley.

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

Regardless if it was 5 minutes or it was the full 15 whatever he said was the right thing.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Also the team that started the second half had SEVEN players that he didn’t sign:

Norman, Hogan, Sutton, Gardner, Rooney, Sheron & Tollit

😃

You could also argue that 3 of the 4 goalscorers were signed by Unsworth.

I don't want to get entrenched too far into defending the manager as some arguments on here can seem abit polarising especially with regards to a manager being in or out but last night the manager should get some credit.

59 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Regardless if it was 5 minutes or it was the full 15 whatever he said was the right thing.

You can't really say that though because we don't know what he said. He might have come out with absolute bollox so the players thought "fuck that", we'll do it our way.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You could also argue that 3 of the 4 goalscorers were signed by Unsworth.

I don't want to get entrenched too far into defending the manager as some arguments on here can seem abit polarising especially with regards to a manager being in or out but last night the manager should get some credit.

This is one of the problems Unsworth has. It's been so bad up til recently that when good results or good performances happen, people will look for reasons to not give him credit. But when we lose or play badly then that confirms how shit he is.

He's probably going to need to put together quite a lengthy run before that will stop.

18 hours ago, nzlatic said:

This is one of the problems Unsworth has. It's been so bad up til recently that when good results or good performances happen, people will look for reasons to not give him credit. But when we lose or play badly then that confirms how shit he is.

He's probably going to need to put together quite a lengthy run before that will stop.

One result or even a couple of results won't change people's minds however if we keep winning games and getting positive results then attitudes will change. While Boundary Park can be quite hostile and toxic to our own team at times, the vast majority of the fanbase are rational enough to give credit where its due more performances more regularly like Tuesday and people will win round to Mr Unsworth and this team.

5 hours ago, Ackey said:

I was waiting for a second Mouldy old Dough

Archived