Fans forum.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ackey said:

Short vs. Long term thinking, tho - it may be less for Latics for the short term, but if you can change the culture of the town towards sport then mid/long term you potentially improve everything more sustainably and both clubs will benefit. 

That's talking to people who have written off our latest striker based on 60 minutes

23 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

That's talking to people who have written off our latest striker based on 60 minutes

To be fair it was probably up there as one of the most underwhelming debuts for the club I've witnessed in the thirty odd years I've been watching us, granted he shouldn't be judged on it but he's certainly no Joe Nuttall.

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

To be fair it was probably up there as one of the most underwhelming debuts for the club I've witnessed in the thirty odd years I've been watching us, granted he shouldn't be judged on it but he's certainly no Joe Nuttall.

Urko Vera has set a very low bar. 

17 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Urko Vera has set a very low bar. 

I like centre forwards who give defenders a hard time and score their fair share of goals.

Does anyone remember who was the last one we had like that?

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I was thinking 20 goals a season.

Having said that if more faith was shown in Fondop and his stamina improved he'd do decent job.

Think injuries have probably hindered Fondop in his career I don't think he's had too many seasons where he has played over 20 games (looking at his career stats. Arguably he'd be capable of playing higher up if he hadn't had injury problems.

Actually you only have to go back 2 seasons to Connor Macleney to see an Oldham striker hit 20 goals a feat sometimes forgotten about and was quite remarkable in the circumstances.

I'm still holding out hope that one of Nuttall or Reid can come good both have scored at this level and if we make the right signings in Summer so that we create the right type of chances for them I think atleast one of them can come good.

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

How many after?

He made a grand total of 6 league starts plus 4 from the bench, as well as 1 FA Cup match as a sub and 1 FL Trophy start.

He scored a penalty on his debut and only scored 1 more goal after that, in a league game. I don't think he'll make the Latics Hall of Fame somehow. 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

He made a grand total of 6 league starts plus 4 from the bench, as well as 1 FA Cup match as a sub and 1 FL Trophy start.

He scored a penalty on his debut and only scored 1 more goal after that, in a league game. I don't think he'll make the Latics Hall of Fame somehow. 

I saw him score from open play.  Was there a T-Shirt on offer?!

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I saw him score from open play.  Was there a T-Shirt on offer?!

For Urko, there definitely should have been. I've got this memory of him warming up pre-KO at FGR in August 2019 (I think he came on as a sub). He seemed almost immobile, and that was before the match started!

Archived