Fans forum.

21 minutes ago, daniel said:

Didn’t learn anything new really I don’t think. DU and DR spoke well I thought, and we are clear on next seasons expectations, with that being a promotion push. They reckon 8-9 new quality signings, and a top 6 budget. I’m still not sure DU is the man to deliver that, but he definitely speaks well and talks a good game, I think things like this help build the somewhat lack of relationship between the fans and him, as he came across as caring, honest and actually quite funny himself. I want him to prove me and a lot of others wrong. 
FR is definitely a character, but in a good way. He completely waffles but he is naturally funny, and is very passionate about the club and definitely cares.

The director, I forget his name, was quite abrupt and straight to the point, don't necessarily mind that in business, which is his area, but I could see him rubbing a few up the wrong way. 

Peter Norbury - he's the lawyer who has worked for the FA amongst others and could probably run rings round Morallee in his sleep.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've said I couldn't make the event so a very good question may not be asked. It's for the benefit of the club and not a criticism.

Hopefully, someone there will ask the same question.

PS. they did on the B team question, but the time for sorting a league to play in is now as applications will need to be dealt with before the end of the season.

The Forshaw situation where DU said he might be training with the first team before the end of the season wasn't what I expected, why isn't he training with the first team now?

He also mentioned 2 other youths offered 3 year contracts, but not Forshaw?

i put forward 4 questions and got 2 read out. So I am happy with that

lots of good stuff said, open, honest whilst managing fan expectations too. Being sustainable is a must

I believe the recording of it might be available from club tomoz

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The Forshaw situation where DU said he might be training with the first team before the end of the season wasn't what I expected, why isn't he training with the first team now?

He also mentioned 2 other youths offered 3 year contracts, but not Forshaw?

As someone else pointed out, the club see this lad every day and will have a good understanding of his capabilities and what he needs to work on.

His goalscoring record this season is very good but it could be that his physical prowess at the level he plays may not give him the same advantage when he steps up.

Unsworth says it’s likely that he will be training with the first team before the season end so that’s good enough for me.

5 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Come on BP you know far better than that ,they are with him every day. Hope one of the eight quality signings is a certain Mr Berry.

How do you know they are with him every day? In my experience managers concentrate on first team players and rarely see youths play.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How do you know they are with him every day? In my experience managers concentrate on first team players and rarely see youths play.

That’s why there are coaches who work exclusively with the youth players…

And these coaches possibly talk to Unsworth and provide updates and recommendations maybe?

Would fans be prepared to pay more for STs if it guaranteed highest quality player additions?

I mean the like of Mullins, Colclough (I know other factors why but that ilk on skill/quality) etc… players who would move this team onto League One ready so we, on paper, should storm this league next season & hit League 2 flying!

Your opinion on DU tactics aside as I anticipate… we could sign Messi and he’d be impotent due to our play etc etc 

I just don’t get this Top 6 budget suggestion last night unless some of the ST & other income is repaying FR or off field developments.  With our fanbase, we should be Top 2, if not Top 1, next season should Wrexham and Notts County go up (or Chesterfield).

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

...I just don’t get this Top 6 budget suggestion last night...

It's just a turn of phrase, init? You come out and say "I expect to have the biggest budget in the (non)League" and you're setting yourself up for a fall, you're putting undue pressure on the team/staff and you're ultimately signalling to prospective players and selling clubs that you've loadz-a-moneh to throw at them.

20 minutes ago, underdog said:

ST prices out next week.

Club not able to offer finances. historic mess from previous regime.

That surprised me.  I would think the new regime have enough credibility to be able to bring a provider on board.  They can't do it anyway without regaining their FCA authorisation which was stripped from the club under the old regime due to their incompetence.  That's something I've offered to help with but it is not a quick process - I'd estimate at least six months from application to authorisation.

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Peter Norbury - he's the lawyer who has worked for the FA amongst others and could probably run rings round Morallee in his sleep.

Not sure about that, he works for a local solicitors whilst Morallee has founded one of the best law firms in the country as well as founding SJAM boxing which has the No. 1 ranked contender for the heavyweight world title on its books. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-law-firms-9kh6q236r

40 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Not sure about that, he works for a local solicitors whilst Morallee has founded one of the best law firms in the country as well as founding SJAM boxing which has the No. 1 ranked contender for the heavyweight world title on its books. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-law-firms-9kh6q236r

I see Brandsmiths still has Latics highlighted as being one of its clients on its website.  Doubt that's true.  You'd  think that one of the best law firms in the country would pay more attention to detail.  Did they earn any money over the wild goose chase that the club went on over the Joe Royle stand?

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I see Brandsmiths still has Latics highlighted as being one of its clients on its website.  Doubt that's true.  You'd  think that one of the best law firms in the country would pay more attention to detail.  Did they earn any money over the wild goose chase that the club went on over the Joe Royle stand?

I'm sure they earned a healthy amount over the years representing the club, they did have to carry out an enormous amount of work from what i gather.

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm sure they earned a healthy amount over the years representing the club, they did have to carry out an enormous amount of work from what i gather.

I'd find it hard to identify a more obvious potential (let's emphasise potential here as I don't know all the facts) conflict of interest than a senior partner of a key service supplier being a director of a client, particularly when a contentious issue is being dragged towards the courts and especially when it turns out to have been a complete waste of time. 

My job involves identifying potential conflicts of interest and assessing how they are mitigated.  Now, many (but certainly not all) conflicts of interest can be mitigated and every business in the land will have conflicts of interest.   Was this one identified as a conflict and , if so, was it appropriately mitigated?  I have absolutely no idea although the track record of the previous Board in operating with appropriate governance controls might suggest one could start an assessment process from a cynical position without being seen to be unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

That surprised me.  I would think the new regime have enough credibility to be able to bring a provider on board.  They can't do it anyway without regaining their FCA authorisation which was stripped from the club under the old regime due to their incompetence.  That's something I've offered to help with but it is not a quick process - I'd estimate at least six months from application to authorisation.

I actuallly thought of you when that came out 

I then was going to refer back to you in my post...but then decided not too incase you did not want to comment.

cheers Dave for commenting now

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd find it hard to identify a more obvious potential (let's emphasise potential here as I don't know all the facts) conflict of interest than a senior partner of a key service supplier being a director of a client, particularly when a contentious issue is being dragged towards the courts and especially when it turns out to have been a complete waste of time. 

My job involves identifying potential conflicts of interest and assessing how they are mitigated.  Now, many (but certainly not all) conflicts of interest can be mitigated and every business in the land will have conflicts of interest.   Was this one identified as a conflict and , if so, was it appropriately mitigated?  I have absolutely no idea although the track record of the previous Board in operating with appropriate governance controls might suggest one could start an assessment process from a cynical position without being seen to be unreasonable.

Why don't you look at the current solicitor on the current board whilst you are it? Or the councils business ambassador receiving a grant from the council without what appears to be the appropriate scrutiny.

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Why don't you look at the current solicitor on the current board whilst you are it? Or the councils business ambassador receiving a grant from the council without what appears to be the appropriate scrutiny.

I'll think about that if and when the current board sanctions pursuing a controversial legal case.  I'm not interested in council processes, enough other people around to scrutinise those.  You really do seem to hate the club.

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Jeez - you really don't like Latics do you? I may have fell out with the dour playing style and want to see DU gone but you seem to want us to fail on every front now we have new owners. The takeover has secured our football club - and it's about time everyone focussed on bringing the club together as a real community asset (rugby included etc.).

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Who did the club get legal advice from over the purchase of Brassbank? Was it North, Ainley, Halliwell; where Peter Norbury is based?

No.

Adam Morallee is a legally qualified boxing promoter. As Dave rightly points out the potential conflict of interests between Brandsmiths advising the club and him being on the club’s board of directors is massive. 

2 hours ago, underdog said:

ST prices out next week.

Club not able to offer finances. historic mess from previous regime.

I think to be fair to Abdallah and his cronies waves at someone in this thread. Our credit rating when he took over won’t have been great, so the mess is from previous regimes. 

39 minutes ago, PeteG said:

:lol:

Archived