Boring March....

FWIW I agreed with DU about the players. They definitely put a shift in to a man. Naivety and bad decision-making on the field cost us that one, neither of which could be levelled at the manager.

For a team to succeed in this division, it starts with a solid core. You can't be a soft touch and you need to be defensively sound. Personally, I think he's achieving that mostly, but we're clearly lacking in attacking quality and service to the strikers. A cautious strategy has cost us points as in Saturday and against Boreham Wood where we ought to be getting that second or third goal to close the door. That comes with better quality up front. 

As a positive Sheron had a great match on Saturday and has improved massively the more the season has progressed. 

1 minute ago, boyinthesnow said:

Lets hope for a boring April, anything else will mean a rapid descent to the relegation places

We are safe now but those within the club must be despairing given that they have to announce season ticket prices soon, after 13 points and promotion form in February March has been a bit of a damp squib, back to a point a game and 0.8 goals per game this month seems a bit of an anti climax and not what I'd class as incremental improvement - another bollocks phrase banded about now, soon be summer though and a chance for us to have a clear out and maybe see the likes of Forshaw and Kilner given a run out after we get Wrexham out of the way.

6 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

FWIW I agreed with DU about the players. They definitely put a shift in to a man. Naivety and bad decision-making on the field cost us that one, neither of which could be levelled at the manager.

For a team to succeed in this division, it starts with a solid core. You can't be a soft touch and you need to be defensively sound. Personally, I think he's achieving that mostly, but we're clearly lacking in attacking quality and service to the strikers. A cautious strategy has cost us points as in Saturday and against Boreham Wood where we ought to be getting that second or third goal to close the door. That comes with better quality up front. 

As a positive Sheron had a great match on Saturday and has improved massively the more the season has progressed. 

I agree Sheron has been the most improved player, he looks as if he cares - while some appear to be coasting and shouldn't be here next season.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I agree Sheron has been the most improved player, he looks as if he cares - while some appear to be coasting and shouldn't be here next season.

Him, Norman and Kitching are the only three who can say they've had a good season, Fondop has been okay and Hogan has improved in recent weeks the rest have been disappointing. 

He looks strong, fit and sharp and is probably our best outfield player currently.

Of the loans they've mainly been a crock of shite particularly the likes of Chapman and Abraham who somehow still make matchday squads. 

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Him, Norman and Kitching are the only three who can say they've had a good season, Fondop has been okay and Hogan has improved in recent weeks the rest have been disappointing. 

He looks strong, fit and sharp and is probably our best outfield player currently.

Of the loans they've mainly been a crock of shite particularly the likes of Chapman and Abraham who somehow still make matchday squads. 

Rooney has been decent once Unsworth started playing him in his most effective position, same as Sheron. 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, if the ambition isn’t to win the league there’s something wrong- I’m with you there. 

About 95% of all professional football teams aren't going in to a season aiming to win the league

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

None have been coasting. Even players I don't rate haven't been coasting. One thing you have to give them is the effort is there, even if the ability isn't 

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

About 95% of all professional football teams aren't going in to a season aiming to win the league

We’ll as the only definite way out of this league is to win it, we’d better be in the other 5% then.

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I reckon playoffs might scupper it and have one of Wrexham or County here next year

If it’s Wrexham I could see some intense Hollywood pressure over the summer to move to 3 promotion spots into the league starting from next season. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If it’s Wrexham I could see some intense Hollywood pressure over the summer to move to 3 promotion spots into the league starting from next season. 

They're already after that aren't they. Might be better for us if they don't go up.

They seemed to be at the forefront of live streaming. 

Not sure who pushed for changes in highlights time frames, probably them as well

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

None have been coasting. Even players I don't rate haven't been coasting. One thing you have to give them is the effort is there, even if the ability isn't 

I think there are a couple of myths floating round based on how we were pre new year. We’re not perfect in these categories but since new year we have shown more improvement than the team gets credit for.

We’re negative… I think I’m right in saying that only 5 teams have scored more than us since Jan 1st. 2 of those are notts county and Wrexham and 2 of the others have played a game more than us.

We slack off/are coasting/clinging on… again I think this stat is right - since Jan 1st we’ve scored more goals in the last 15 minutes of games than we’ve conceded. 

For me we’re playing slightly better football too. So on most counts I don’t see us as a team that’s stagnating. I think we’re moving forward slowly. Hopefully enough to see us compete for promotion next season. A good summer and we’re definitely capable. 

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

They're already after that aren't they. Might be better for us if they don't go up.

They seemed to be at the forefront of live streaming. 

Not sure who pushed for changes in highlights time frames, probably them as well

I don’t think streaming would have happened without them. And I think 3 up will happen quicker if they need it!

5 hours ago, disjointed said:

Rooney has been decent once Unsworth started playing him in his most effective position, same as Sheron. 

Is Rooney a left mid ? He’s certainly improved this last few months and looked good. But I don’t know why people keep saying he’s now playing his favoured position, because he’s not. 

23 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yes ! keeping the ball in the  Corner from a corner to waste time with 10 minutes to go was amateurish, and the challenge by Abrahams that led to the goal was crazy, ironic that both incidents involved the Subs  .I agree about Sheron but I would like to see him with the ball at his feet a bit more rather than just breaking play up  

4 hours ago, Left Peg said:

Yes ! keeping the ball in the  Corner from a corner to waste time with 10 minutes to go was amateurish, and the challenge by Abrahams that led to the goal was crazy, ironic that both incidents involved the Subs  .I agree about Sheron but I would like to see him with the ball at his feet a bit more rather than just breaking play up  

I didn't think it was a foul at the time, and still can't see much in retrospect.

Further to the "corner routine" I think it's OK in added time but was used far too early and as I've posted before the time wasting doesn't kid many Refs as the 6 minutes on Saturday proved.

The way all our players trudge about taking free kicks, corners and throw ins paints a negative attitude to everyone, including the Officials. 

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I didn't think it was a foul at the time, and still can't see much in retrospect.

Further to the "corner routine" I think it's OK in added time but was used far too early and as I've posted before the time wasting doesn't kid mag Refs as the 6 minutes on Saturday proved.

The way all our players trudge about taking free kicks, corners and throw ins paints a negative attitude to everyone, including the Officials. 

I wouldn't have to look to far back to find a post (not yours!) that praises the team for learning the art of 'shithousery'.  It hasn't aged well.

1 hour ago, Left Peg said:

Indeed ironic.

Archived