Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Disappointing about Rooney as he's the type of player who can make the difference in tight games with a moment of class (Woking springs to mind), however longer term I have no problem with Unsworth not accepting bad attitudes in the squad.

Like brother, like brother.

21 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Really angin agent also works…

depends on your perspective l suppose!!

its not unusual for me to give extra chances based on talent, but it seems Rhino cba with any fuckinabout so it will be interesting to see how he is replaced

it would be good to get the RB on board by the time of the forum..

20 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Getting frustrated down here.

Watching the Ashes is bad enough; especially with that cheating fecker Smith, (second only to Sharp to make my skin crawl) but oh for a right back!

Yes it’s all gone a bit quiet, still holding out for a couple more signings though, hopefully this week 

On 6/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, Steve_R said:

So it seems that Rooney, Tollitt and Yarney are on their way out. Rooney was our only midfield player who could put his foot on the ball and play a bit, Yarney was the player of the year and Tollit top scorer until Unsworth dropped him. 
We’ve no idea if the replacements are better but everyone seems happy with it all.

I hope they're really good but I don't see how/why Lundstram & Ward will be any better than what we've got/what they're replacing.

Shelton & Sheron are both better players on paper and look how bad they've been on grass (Sheron did come on a bit to be fair).

They all look like cheap gambles and we've gone from signing Conference players who'd previously had success in the league (which didn't work) to Conference players who haven't had success in this league. I don't follow the logic in why that would result in us doing better.

I like the signing of Willoughby. Someone who could be a goalscorer & hero is a gamble that's always worth taking but, again - he is a gamble.

If Hobson isn't any good we'll be very short in defence. Especially if Hogan continues to be injured as often as last season. 

We still need the 3 or 4 known quantities we needed back in August for me to go into the season with genuine optimism rather than just blind hope. 

Or directions to where I can get some of the Kool-Aid a lot seem to be drinking. 

This season is a huge opportunity to get promoted from what currently looks a weak league (it might not be next season, or the season after that) and, you can never guarantee it but, we're not showing anything like the intent I thought we would to give ourselves the best possible chance.

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The one thing in common our new signings have is that without exception all their previous club's supporters have been sorry to see them leave.

I'm a bit excited !  😲

I’m optimistic, but I still don’t think we are the “finished article” , and lack a bit of balance . Another two or three good additions are needed 

It's also worth remembering it's only just the end of June. Lots of players are barely out of contract from last season and there's still plenty of wriggle-room left yet. Some of us are talking like we've only 2 or 3 days before the season starts, as opposed to over a week before the first friendly.

The quality of the signing will prove itself over time, no players at this level are guaranteed success or failure, that's often why they are down here. But it's hard to argue with the idea that this pre-season has been more structured, strategic and seemingly well-managed. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ackey said:

It's also worth remembering it's only just the end of June. Lots of players are barely out of contract from last season and there's still plenty of wriggle-room left yet. Some of us are talking like we've only 2 or 3 days before the season starts, as opposed to over a week before the first friendly.

I get the impression though (hopefully wrongly) that we're pretty much done once we've got a right back.....

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I get the impression though (hopefully wrongly) that we're pretty much done once we've got a right back.....

Pretty much a certainty, I'd have thought, that we get a couple of loans in at the start of the season

15 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’m optimistic, but I still don’t think we are the “finished article” , and lack a bit of balance . Another two or three good additions are needed 

We do need a right back and probably another centre back but overall I'm happy to start the season off with what  we've got. Recruitment seems to have a lot more structure than previous seasons.

We can add players/loans during the season as and when required.

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Getting frustrated down here.

Watching the Ashes is bad enough; especially with that cheating fecker Smith, (second only to Sharp to make my skin crawl) but oh for a right back!

I don’t like Smith, as talented as he is, but the guy who really does my head in is Labuschagne. The drivel he comes out with when fielding to Lyon is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

If Rooney, Windass and Burgess join Lutweiler through the exit door we will have a senior squad of 19, plus McGahey in recovery. Suspect that opens up places for two permanent and two loan signings.

We might as well leave McGahey in recovery because that’s where he’ll stay, like the bulk of his time here.

54 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

If Hobson isn't any good we'll be very short in defence. Especially if Hogan continues to be injured as often as last season. 

Started 34/46 last season, playing 90 minutes in all, and missed 12 with a broken foot. You've Jonathan Forte'd Liam Hogan. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Started 34/46 last season, playing 90 minutes in all, and missed 12 with a broken foot. You've Jonathan Forte'd Liam Hogan. 

Was about to say the same. He had 1 injury, and it wasn’t like he had lots of muscle injuries or knee injuries which would be more of a concern. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I hope they're really good but I don't see how/why Lundstram & Ward will be any better than what we've got/what they're replacing.

Shelton & Sheron are both better players on paper and look how bad they've been on grass (Sheron did come on a bit to be fair).

They all look like cheap gambles and we've gone from signing Conference players who'd previously had success in the league (which didn't work) to Conference players who haven't had success in this league. I don't follow the logic in why that would result in us doing better.

I like the signing of Willoughby. Someone who could be a goalscorer & hero is a gamble that's always worth taking but, again - he is a gamble.

We still need the 3 or 4 known quantities we needed back in August for me to go into the season with genuine optimism rather than just blind hope. 

Or directions to where I can get some of the Kool-Aid a lot seem to be drinking. 

This season is a huge opportunity to get promoted from what currently looks a weak league (it might not be next season, or the season after that) and, you can never guarantee it but, we're not showing anything like the intent I thought we would to give ourselves the best possible chance.

It seems to me that the strategy is to sign players of the right age who's careers are on an upward trajectory. I presume the idea being they continue on that upward path and achieve better things with us and either go on to higher leagues with us or be sold for money that can be reinvested.

As opposed to signing 30+ year old "names" who's best days are behind them. 

Whether that's the right way to go remains to be seen, and there will be mixed results in terms of whether these players will get better with us, but I can totally see the logic behind the strategy. 

Edited by nzlatic

Every signing at this level is a gamble. But they're players all coming into their peak years who have excelled at other clubs in this division. There's an actual strategy to the signings. 

I'd rather that than signing a bunch of 30+ past-it journeymen like we usually do

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It seems to me that the strategy is to sign players of the right age who's careers are on an upward trajectory. I presume the idea being they continue on that upward path and achieve better things with us and either go on to higher leagues with us or be sold for money that can be reinvested.

As opposed to signing 30+ year old "names" who's best days are behind them. 

Whether that's the right way to go remains to be seen, and there will be mixed results in terms of whether these players will get better with us, but I can totally see the logic behind the strategy. 

They don't need to be "names" and they don't need to have their best days down in this league. 

But we need a few of them. 

Not many would dispute a mixture of young lads on the up complemented by experienced players with something still to offer on the pitch (and just as much, if not more off it) is a tried & tested route to success.   

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Every signing at this level is a gamble. But they're players all coming into their peak years who have excelled at other clubs in this division. There's an actual strategy to the signings. 

I'd rather that than signing a bunch of 30+ past-it journeymen like we usually do

Exactly this, Mr Pickle. 

Saved me typing it!

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think the 4 main new additions Willoughby, Hobson, Ward, and Lundstrum are pretty low risk Gambles they have all proved themselves at other clubs last season, I think all 4 will be a success here. A rightback and a replacement for Rooney in the sense that we get a player who can produce abit of magic every now and again in a tight game and I'd be happy with what we've got. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

translation- 'lm fully aware these players were the best players at their previous club and their fans are gutted to see them go, but l have not heard of them so theyre rubbish and everybody on here is an idiot.'

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We do need a right back and probably another centre back but overall I'm happy to start the season off with what  we've got. Recruitment seems to have a lot more structure than previous seasons.

I keep reading similar to this but I don't get it.

We've added two midfielders from our own league who don't look like they'll add any significant quality, Hobson (a move that was possibly forced due to Yarney leaving) and an exciting, but very obvious, striker from the league below and are still without a right back and look very thin on the ground in defence generally.

Other than being done quite early by the standards we're used to how does that represent "a lot more structure than previous seasons"....? 

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 1