Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

38 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Many reckon Fondop is a useful impact player off the bench so I  think he'll still have a part to play this season. 

In the longer term, Dallas is only on loan so I  can't see MM  starting next season with only two veterans up front in Norwood and Garner. Expect to see big Mike gone and two younger strikers in.

Garner gets 60 minutes then Fondop comes on. 👍

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We’ve an almost geriatric striker pairing but in Mellon we trust

Age is but a number (so I  keep telling myself).

Matt Smith is 34 and has 18 goals for Salford. 

Will Grigg is 32 and has 17 for Chesterfield. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of know-how for now although as I  mentioned earlier (and deyres42 is slitting his wrists over) we need younger options for next season.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Feel like pure shit, just want young and progressive.

These signings and loans are not long term. Mellon’s probably thinking it gives him the best chance of getting out of this division at the first time of asking.

Non of them will be cheap and it clearly demonstrates the Rothwell’s desire for promotion as quick as possible.

• Like 1

How’s win you games but I’m shocked we’ve gone for him. Loads of experience in Norwood. Stones showed we need someone with high energy up top. Still feel we need more in centre midfield to replace sheron and lundstorm who are av at best 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

We've not exactly got an aging squad have we. Who's over the age of 30? Norwood, Garner, Hogan, Gardner who barely plays. Think that's it. Nowt wrong with adding a bit of experience from someone who's been there and done it

Add in Raglan who's the 31 and Fondop who is 30.

Not quite sure what to think of this signing not too sure it's exactly what we need but at the same time I feel abit churlish complaining about bringing in a player with such experience which could be very useful at the business end of the season when we need calm heads and ofcourse I trust the manager. Let's see how it works out.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Add in Raglan who's the 31 and Fondop who is 30.

Not quite sure what to think of this signing not too sure it's exactly what we need but at the same time I feel abit churlish complaining about bringing in a player with such experience which could be very useful at the business end of the season when we need calm heads and ofcourse I trust the manager. Let's see how it works out.

At least its not another centre back or defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

Is Garner the difference between where we are, and where we want to be. . I’m not sure. 

I know this will get shot down, because most don’t care or will say it’s not our problem. But the money we’re wasting on surplus high earning players whilst recruiting in already top heavy departments concerns me. I really hope the Rothwells don’t get burned, and think what’s the point. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Is Garner the difference between where we are, and where we want to be. . I’m not sure. 

I know this will get shot down, because most don’t care or will say it’s not our problem. But the money we’re wasting on surplus high earning players whilst recruiting in already top heavy departments concerns me. I really hope the Rothwells don’t get burned, and think what’s the point. 

That's on OASF. They are the ones that need to be speaking to the club and raising any fan concerns about the finances. They seem to be having regular meetings with DR so hopefully this sort of thing is or will be discussed.

If it was a Lemsagam or Moore type then I'd be more worried. I doubt that the Rothwells are just chucking loads at it with little more plan than crossing fingers we go up this season.

I've said before, and I still think this is the case, that they are clearly building a squad for this season and next. Having a proper go this season but with the fall back of not having to do too much business in the summer so going into next season with lots of positive continuity. 

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If it was a Lemsagam or Moore type then I'd be more worried. I doubt that the Rothwells are just chucking loads at it with little more plan than crossing fingers we go up this season.

I don’t think for one second they’re of their ilk- it’s more will they get fed up, especially if we don’t go up. 

I also don’t think OASF would have any cause for concern because I’m sure DR would say the family are comfortable with their investment and planning. 

But that’s now- in their only second season. . .

Puts a lot of pressure on Micky to deliver because signing umpteen league footballers and not delivering would leave a sour taste for any owner. They’ve done everything they can and more. . 

I’m also a little surprised at this one. Midfield still seems like our weak spot surely and with Norwood and Dallas plus Fondop (and one of the other strikers as a further back up, including Green and Tollit as attacking wingers) we must have enough up front.

I’m also stunned at the supposed amount of money being chucked at this by the Rothwell family, I rather fear that with their lack of football background they are not able to challenge some of the decision making, and certainly not when DU and the gang were in full hiring mode last summer.

Ultimately, we have to get promotion this season or next otherwise questions will be asked. 

It would actually be great to understand the clubs overall finances but I guess that’s never going to happen

• Like 1

When I watched the shit show on Saturday I didn't leave the ground thinking - 'if only we could sign a 35 year old striker to solve all our problems'. 

If we do have a budget this seems on the face of it to be as baffling a signing that we have made given that teams frailties, I know we keep going on about in Mellon we trust and all that shite and I suppose we really have no choice at this stage but what's going to be the formation when we play next 5-1-4 because I'm baffled as to how Garner solves our problems.

As a player I've not really kept tabs on him but he was a pivotal player in that Preston team that used to roll teams over in League 1 but that was years ago, here's hoping it works out.

He's on a contract to the end of next season so it's clearly a signing designed to try and get us out of this division by then. Bags of experience, lot of playing time under his belt and an utter pain in the arse to play against. It's a dynamic Norwood thrives on and someone who will be on a similar wavelength. It'll be interesting to see where he fits Dallas into this so it points more towards a favoured 4-3-3.

Fondop's the obvious candidate to make way I would expect. I think Mike's most effective position is coming off the bench for a bit of extra physicality anyway so he should have a part to play still. As a Latics fan growing up in the 80's, having a striker called Garner still doesn't sit right with me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think for one second they’re of their ilk- it’s more will they get fed up, especially if we don’t go up. 

I also don’t think OASF would have any cause for concern because I’m sure DR would say the family are comfortable with their investment and planning. 

But that’s now- in their only second season. . .

Puts a lot of pressure on Micky to deliver because signing umpteen league footballers and not delivering would leave a sour taste for any owner. They’ve done everything they can and more. . 

I'm not sure about them getting fed up. I don't see it as a toy for them. But financial backing may change if we don't go up by the end of next season.

12 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

Home

Hudson

Sachdev Hobson Raglan Kitching

Lundstram Conlon Sheron

Walker Norwood Dallas

Away

Hudson

Hobson Raglan Hogan 

Sachdev Lundstram Conlon Sheron Kitching

Norwood Garner

Surely?

Establish one style and play it home and away. No idea why we need to change.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm not sure about them getting fed up. I don't see it as a toy for them. But financial backing may change if we don't go up by the end of next season.

If the plan is good enough and a positive trajectory is achieved then investors are there to be had.

Money makes money. Rothwells achieve promotion with the initial acquisition of the club. Further investment is put in from a third party who puts enough in the pot for a run to the Championship. The investor, plus the Rothwells make much more money than a dozen Nuttalls picking splinters out of their arses when the club is sold to an even bigger investor in the Championship.

This is how I translate it as. Speculate to accumulate. The plan only derails if we stay at any of those levels for a considerable amount of time. It's dependant on overall success, which, if the plan is made, forecasted properly and stuck to, then has a more than good enough chance of achieving.

• Like 2