Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

28 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah, the man with 5 promotions under his belt isn't tactically flexible 

This place 🤦‍♂️

Guy, I love the bloke and have no doubts he’ll get us where we want to be.

But Eyrsey has a point- a lot of homes games do follow the exact same path. Start slow, give the impetus away, don’t impose ourselves, look laboured. 

Away we generally do the opposite. 

He has changed the formation (thanks Eddie😁) but the performances are very similar. 

I’m sure we’ll come good, but it’s not unreasonable to comment on what we’re watching at home. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But Eyrsey has a point- a lot of homes games do follow the exact same path. Start slow, give the impetus away, don’t impose ourselves, look laboured. 

Yep, I agree, its so frustrating. But I dont think its a Mellon thing, more the personel he has at his disposal. Signing the likes of Conlon and Garner suggests to me he's trying to change the mentality of the dressing room.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

Yep, I agree, its so frustrating. But I dont think its a Mellon thing, more the personel he has at his disposal. Signing the likes of Conlon and Garner suggests to me he's trying to change the mentality of the dressing room.

But the same players don’t look laboured away from home. Culminating in our best away record for years. So is it personal or is it how they’re being asked to play. . 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I guess having a future England striker to call upon must have helped in that regard...

Good, he can spot a future England international from the others, savvy manager.👍👍

29 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

What’s your take?.

You look at his successful teams and a common theme is strikers capable of getting well into double figures - Vardy, James Collins, Norwood, Andy Cook.

You can no doubt the same about any manager but perhaps where he has struggled more is where he hasn't had that threat at his disposal.

As  I recall the description of a Tranmere fan was of someone who is pragmatic.

On the Nuttall business, we are more vulnerable to this sort of scenario because we have changed managers so frequently over the years. The  new man always has players he doesn't fancy. In this case one on a long and lucrative contract.

I get the impression that Nuttall doesn't much like being a footballer anymore and we're his last big wage.

5 hours ago, OAFC Blues said:

I was listening to the price of football the other day and it was noted that clubs in the NL on average lose more money than clubs in L2. The losses in the NL are more on par with what clubs in L1 lose. Clubs who have gone up in recent years have lost a ridiculous amount of money per week to try and get out of this league. The NL has a bottleneck because of the 1 automatic promotion place and to me it seems to encourage clubs to go all in financially in a desperate attempt to get out. Its not good really and will end up causing a lot of clubs problems, us included if we aren't careful. 

Really interesting post, thanks. If the football pyramid is to mean anything then surely it's time that automatic promotion/relegation slots were standardised across all leagues. With the government finally showing an interest in the governance of football, I don't see how only 1 automatic promotion place from the NL can be justified, particularly if it enhances the financial risk to clubs. I know the EFL and NL have dropped hints about automatic promotion slots being increased, but it's time for less talk and more action. And yes, I'd feel the same way if we were back in the EFL!

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You look at his successful teams and a common theme is strikers capable of getting well into double figures - Vardy, James Collins, Norwood, Andy Cook.

You can no doubt the same about any manager but perhaps where he has struggled more is where he hasn't had that threat at his disposal.

Think you've answered yourself Eyresy.

All successful teams need good strikers and all managers bereft of them will struggle.

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Who you couldn’t even give away!!😂l

Indeed.

We're in a difficult position in regards to failing players.

I assume we pay top dollar for this league. Can't get rid of them upwards.Downwards and sideways mostly can't afford their wages.

We need to show very good judgement in who we sign.

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Cian Hayes (mentioned briefly on here) back to Rochdale on loan. Good signing for them that!

Disappointing we haven't looked at this lad, Rochdale looked a different team with him playing off the right. Looks like more hoofball for us then with the players we've brought in.

I'm interested to see how Garner fits in, I thought Fondop did okay on Saturday particularly defending the set pieces so if he gives way and without Hogan that would be a worry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Indeed.

We're in a difficult position in regards to failing players.

I assume we pay top dollar for this league. Can't get rid of them upwards.Downwards and sideways mostly can't afford their wages.

We need to show very good judgement in who we sign.

We've currently got around eight out and out strikers on the books pulling in God knows what in wages, unbelievable situation really. Imagine if we'd of just bought a couple of decent proven ones to start with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Maybe it was his coaching that facilitated them getting into double figures?

Someone on here said he's the most negative manager we've ever had. That's some track record of goalscorers for a negative manager...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Good luck to him, it never really happened for him here.

Indeed.

Hope they all get decent moves.  Not sure the club's recruitment strategy has been fair to a couple of them - particularly Willoughby..

• Like 3