Ground improvements

2 minutes ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

To be fair to BP, we had a few arguments over people in our seats last season, as we do usually get there at the last minute.

BP didnt say it. l was goin to say dont bother BP has already done it!!

nobody NEEDS to email the club to tell them to put stickers on seats ffs have a look what the word means instead and then just pop it in the supporter survey!!

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Last November Darren Royle was quoted in the Oldham Times:

“Also water, we’re looking at the potential for a borehole so it’s a self-sourced thing where we’ve made our own water supply for pitches, rather than off mains water."

“Frank’s ideas are all long-term, solar panels, boreholes for water. I think our water bill was over £100,000. If we pay £25,000 for a big borehole you get your own water supply, all legitimate and above board,” added Royle, who likes the idea of Boundary Park becoming more eco-friendly.

After a series of dry winters maybe ten years ago my old golf club went for a borehole.  It absolutely pissed it down for the next three or four.

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm staggered we actually need to water the pitch for anything other than 90% of the season if I'm honest!

Me too, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Show him your season card which has the row and seat number on it - he’ll move 👍

I did and he barged past me bawling "what kind of joke club doesn't put stickers on reserved seats"

..or words to that effect.😠

7 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Last November Darren Royle was quoted in the Oldham Times:

“Also water, we’re looking at the potential for a borehole so it’s a self-sourced thing where we’ve made our own water supply for pitches, rather than off mains water."

“Frank’s ideas are all long-term, solar panels, boreholes for water. I think our water bill was over £100,000. If we pay £25,000 for a big borehole you get your own water supply, all legitimate and above board,” added Royle, who likes the idea of Boundary Park becoming more eco-friendly.

So the price of 2 weeks wages for Queensy Menig we are going to be investing in something that will last us years and pay us back in bucket loads (literally) in saved overheads for many years to come.

Proactive economic thinking its a breath of fresh air it really is. Which means more money goes back out onto the pitch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm staggered we actually need to water the pitch for anything other than 90% of the season if I'm honest!

As a cricket club treasurer I can tell you it's quite staggering how much it costs to maintain a sports pitch to a sufficient standard throughout Spring Summer and Autumn it will require a huge amount of watering. Certainly the summer months when the sun comes out and we need the pitch to repair.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

As a cricket club treasurer I can tell you it's quite staggering how much it costs to maintain a sports pitch to a sufficient standard throughout Spring Summer and Autumn it will require a huge amount of watering. Certainly the summer months when the sun comes out and we need the pitch to repair.

Heavily involved in local cricket myself but it pretty much rains, hails, sleets and snows constantly from October to March. 😉

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Heavily involved in local cricket myself but it pretty much rains, hails, sleets and snows constantly from October to March. 😉

Yeah it's the bit inbetween which costs an arm and a leg in water certainly if you want to get it upto a decent standard.

Throw in costs like scarifying and the cost to maintain the equipment then it will probably surprise people how much time money and effort it takes to maintain a sports pitch to a decent standard.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

I looked at four programmes of matches that Latics played at Maine Road ,not against City, for a recent article. One was the Dec 19th December 1949 FA Cup 2nd 2nd Replay v Crewe. First match had been 1-1 at Gresty Road, the replay goalless. Anyway, in what was Latics’ fourth match in nine days, the teams met again , at Maine Road on a Monday afternoon.

Relevance to this thread? I’ll transfer a bit of what I wrote about the programme.

At just 2d for 8pp there is a decent amount of reading inside, not least a full-page review of the first replay at Boundary Park. Apparently,  the pitch was heavy and there was a “downpour of rain”. In Oldham? Surely not. Anyway the game and extra time led to soaked kit, heavy cotton in that era, and Latics’ players went through 24 jerseys and 26 pairs of shorts in the match, changing on the pitch “scorning any cover at all”.

Eye-openers for the nearly 12000 at BP that day….

Anyway, Latics won the game at Maine Road 3-0 to earn a glamorous 3rd Round home match v Newcastle.

The four matches at Maine Road? The other three are ones that many of us ( at least those over 60) will have been at .

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

I looked at four programmes of matches that Latics played at Maine Road ,not against City, for a recent article. One was the Dec 19th December 1949 FA Cup 2nd 2nd Replay v Crewe. First match had been 1-1 at Gresty Road, the replay goalless. Anyway, in what was Latics’ fourth match in nine days, the teams met again , at Maine Road on a Monday afternoon.

Relevance to this thread? I’ll transfer a bit of what I wrote about the programme.

At just 2d for 8pp there is a decent amount of reading inside, not least a full-page review of the first replay at Boundary Park. Apparently,  the pitch was heavy and there was a “downpour of rain”. In Oldham? Surely not. Anyway the game and extra time led to soaked kit, heavy cotton in that era, and Latics’ players went through 24 jerseys and 26 pairs of shorts in the match, changing on the pitch “scorning any cover at all”.

Eye-openers for the nearly 12000 at BP that day….

Anyway, Latics won the game at Maine Road 3-0 to earn a glamorous 3rd Round home match v Newcastle.

The four matches at Maine Road? The other three are ones that many of us ( at least those over 60) will have been at .

not 60 but Northwich Victoria FA Cup 4th round- switched from their place and the 1990 semifinals.

• Like 1

So the seats and new area looks great, but it looks a bit odd with only 4 seats on each side and then nothing at the back etc. Presume those seats are expensive as it’s not been decided if more will be fitted yet. 

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

So the seats and new area looks great, but it looks a bit odd with only 4 seats on each side and then nothing at the back etc. Presume those seats are expensive as it’s not been decided if more will be fitted yet. 

Think they said extra seats for subs would be added.