Unsworth Out

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit more nuanced than that. Difference between hope and expectation.

You would hope we would finish at the top end of the table but there's nothing in our recent history that says we should expect to do, once you go a long run of winning more than you lose you can start to have expectations of that continuing, at the moment the expectation is being driven by....you guessed it, entitlement. 😉😉

I know what you mean, but it’s not as generic as that. 

In your example- There was fans in league two who thought we should still finish top 6 with no investment and literally one striker because ‘we’re massive in this league.’ That’s entitled- I agree. 

Now- we have been taken over, had millions of investment on and off the pitch, pay big wages, have a gate in the top two, and a squad of enough quality players to compete. There is no way it’s entitled to think that with the above in place you have a very good chance to do well. 

In our current circumstances we should expect/want/hope to be top 3. No question. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know what you mean, but it’s not as generic as that. 

In your example- There was fans in league two who thought we should still finish top 6 with no investment and literally one striker because ‘we’re massive in this league.’ That’s entitled- I agree. 

Now- we have been taken over, had millions of investment on and off the pitch, pay big wages, have a gate in the top two, and a squad of enough quality players to compete. There is no way it’s entitled to think that with the above in place you have a very good chance to do well. 

In our current circumstances we should expect/want/hope to be top 3. No question. 

Spot on. In fact, the bookies expected us to be top two. A fully justified expectation based on the stability, pre-season spending, all round club investment and the positive vibes emanating from BP.  

Just now, wiseowl said:

Spot on. In fact, the bookies expected us to be top two. A fully justified expectation based on the stability, pre-season spending, all round club investment and the positive vibes emanating from BP.  

There's a very common misconception around what bookies expect or predict. The whole point of being a bookie, particularly in the modern corporate age, is to lock in a profit regardless of the result. They are not risk takers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You're right, we should be winning every game just because.

I didn’t abc having said anything remotely like that.

You are backtracking in an ill thought through earlier comment, and so you ended up attempting to justify it with that meaningless post of nothingness. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

You're right, we should be winning every game just because.

Considering some of the players we have at our disposal, it is completely reasonable to expect to be undefeated at home all season and absolutely bum the crap out of the likes of Dorking, Solihull and Boreham Wood...

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Considering some of the players we have at our disposal, it is completely reasonable to expect to be undefeated at home all season and absolutely bum the crap out of the likes of Dorking, Solihull and Boreham Wood...

Our strike force could possibly be the envy of every club in this league [bar Chesterfield] and the financial backing most definitely. I agree, to not blow these teams out of the water [ok, maybe a tad enthusiastic] is a huge, huge disappointment. 

I will agree that cohesion and knack for winning ways can take time but I cannot see any indication in which this scenario will happen whilst Unsworth is in charge of proceedings. I have no inkling of who could replace him, I leave that to those with more knowledge than myself.

Just one thing, Latics are in this League on merit and find themselves on a par with the likes of Boreham Wood. Although I believe we should be perceived as a big fish in a small pond, we have no right to consider ourselves above the other teams. They will come to BP with the desire to take our scalp and the more it happens, the less of a "big fish" we become.

Wins need to come, and fast.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Although I believe we should be perceived as a big fish in a small pond, we have no right to consider ourselves above the other teams. They will come to BP with the desire to take our scalp and the more it happens, the less of a "big fish" we become.

I don’t think we should beat them because ‘we’re Oldham and used to be big once.’ I think we should beat them because we have a far bigger budget and better players. 

The former is entitled, the latter is logical. 

If AL was still here, I’d be hoping for a draw against the likes of Boreham wood, because we’d be on the bones of our arse. Expectation naturally changes with relatively large investment. 

• Like 2

The manager could solve most of our on field problems by taking the shackles of the players.

But seems to be frightened of every other team, and shows them way too much respect. 

Unsworth is obsessed with defending, which is dull and boring, and he has little appetite to go after teams, throw numbers forward, and give us something to shout about . 

Unsworths football is unexciting,  dull as dishwater and boring. If he wants to keep his job he must change his attitude as to how we play.

Attack is the best form of defence. Give it a try David, you may even like it, for sure the fans are screaming out for something way better than has been served up so far.

Edited by 100milesaway
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

The manager could solve most of our on field problems by taking the shackles of the players.

But seems to be frightened of every other team, and shows them way too much respect. 

Unsworth is obsessed with defending, which is dull and boring, and he has little appetite to go after teams, throw numbers forward, and give us something to shout about . 

Unsworths football is unexciting,  dull as dishwater and boring. If he wants to keep his job he must change his attitude as to how we play.

Attack is the best form of defence. Give it a try David, you may even like it, for sure the fans are screaming out for something way better than has been served up so far.

I feel most fans have wanted that for many months now and with the players he has  then he must realise that is what we want to see .I'd be 😮  if Joe Royle hasn't told him that.

Edited by Flemboy

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Keep saying it, he’s incapable of coming up with his own plan and bows to the fans every whim say it enough and he will do as requested.

45 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I seem to remember DU saying wanted a minimum 18 months before he was judged, that takes us to February.  Unless we are in grave danger of relegation I can see him staying to the end of the season.  This fits with what Lee was told by DU’s family.

That’s pretty much how I see it too 

12 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

That’s pretty much how I see it too 

All these Unsworth's  comments add up to one thing .He's  talking

Bullsh*t.

I really fear for our future under his leadership more than ever now

Edited by Flemboy

51 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I seem to remember DU saying wanted a minimum 18 months before he was judged, that takes us to February.  Unless we are in grave danger of relegation I can see him staying to the end of the season.  This fits with what Lee was told by DU’s family.

It isn't plausible that he continues to stay in charge if the league position doesn't change pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

It isn't plausible that he continues to stay in charge if the league position doesn't change pretty quickly.

Exactly, what if the 18 months comes up and we are embedded in a relegation spot? We were there last year at one point. I’m not sure that would have been promised to him. Just makes no sense. 

54 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Exactly, what if the 18 months comes up and we are embedded in a relegation spot? We were there last year at one point. I’m not sure that would have been promised to him. Just makes no sense. 

I think we’ll improve. Not to any acceptable position (in my opinion) but to hovering around the last playoff spot or ‘only’ a few points off it, which will be heralded as some sort of achievement and keep him in a job.

Losing to Bromley now and dropping into the bottom 4 would surely signal some sort of EGM of the board.

The start of the season has been truly awful but even Frank, Darren & Co could not have foreseen anything quite as bad as this!!

No matter what Frank says in public, there has to be alarm bells ringing at board level. We simply cannot carry on as we are! If we continue in this way  his dismissal cannot be too far away!!!

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Losing to Bromley now and dropping into the bottom 4 would surely signal some sort of EGM of the board.

The start of the season has been truly awful but even Frank, Darren & Co could not have foreseen anything quite as bad as this!!

No matter what Frank says in public, there has to be alarm bells ringing at board level. We simply cannot carry on as we are! If we continue in this way  his dismissal cannot be too far away!!!

Hopefully we'll win, like every game but then the can continues to be kicked down the street.

What a situation to have to be in