Unsworth Out

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

The ellipsis teaser!

I'm sure a mutually agreeable severance package for Unsworth and co could be quickly negotiated. 

Like some have already said, he doesn't seem a bad bloke and had best intentions I"m sure, but when you realise you can't do the job and your peers have lost all faith in your ability, it's usually best all round to agree a compromise and move on.

• Like 1

If we're second guessing what the board are thinking, because they undoubtedly will be able to read the room. I'm sure they'd already be scoping out replacement candidates weeks ago (probably following the bank holiday weekend matches which is my thoughts about when the rot set in). Since then, the team picks have been alarmingly inconsistant (honestly don't know what he was thinking yesterday!) and peformances have slumped worse and worse. The post match interview really showed cracks in his veneer. He couldn't trot out his usual manicured answers on the back of what was an embarrassingly bad performance.

It wouldn't suprise me if he's allowed to remain in situ for the next week. I say this because he'd have been sacked last night if Bromley was his watershed moment. Two home matches we'd be (in normal circumstances) expected to win comfortably. Two wins, improved performances and they may argue the season is back on track and a healthy climb up the table. More unconvincing performances and/or more surrendering of points will (and should) seal his fate.

Last season he had the luxury of a fairly free hit as he got to work dismantling a poorly assembled and unfit squad. The glaring problem that nagged us throughout last season was midfield. He simply hasn't fixed this (I'm still unconvinced the signings brought in are able to take us to the next level) and, as much of a marquee signing Norwood was, a greater error wasn't to bring in a centre midfielder of a similar stature. Wrexham brought in Andy Cannon. Notts County had Matty Palmer. Chesterfield have Liam Manderville and Tom Naylor. We have no-one remotely close to the quality of any of these. This lack of detail, and willingness to persist with the likes of Sheron and Shelton together will most likely become his downfall.

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The glaring problem that nagged us throughout last season was midfield. He simply hasn't fixed this (I'm still unconvinced the signings brought in are able to take us to the next level) and, as much of a marquee signing Norwood was, a greater error wasn't to bring in a centre midfielder of a similar stature. Wrexham brought in Andy Cannon. Notts County had Matty Palmer. Chesterfield have Liam Manderville and Tom Naylor. We have no-one remotely close to the quality of any of these. This lack of detail, and willingness to persist with the likes of Sheron and Shelton together will most likely become his downfall.

It's all over the pitch where we have issues tbh. We have an ex-England international defender at the helm - and we've just shipped 3 goals (and could have been more). The whole team looks disjointed and bereft of ideas.

Just now, wiseowl said:

It's all over the pitch where we have issues tbh. We have an ex-England international defender at the helm - and we've just shipped 3 goals (and could have been more). The whole team looks disjointed and bereft of ideas.

We don’t.

Can the season be saved or are we now just looking for progress?

70 points might make the playoffs. But given the absence of two 100pt plus teams maybe 75 would be a sensible target.

Another 68 points over the remaining games is 1.8 per game- equivalent to three wins in 5

10 games from now to hit the 1.8 for the season to date would require 9 wins in the next ten. Isn't going to happen.

Don't know how long recruitment will take- or even if there is a 'if you do OK you can keep the gig option' but let's say 5 games.

Do we have a target return - or is some pride. passion,performance and players in proper positions enough?

3 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

70 points might make the playoffs. But given the absence of two 100pt plus teams maybe 75 would be a sensible target.

Another 68 points over the remaining games is 1.8 per game- equivalent to three wins in 5

10 games from now to hit the 1.8 for the season to date would require 9 wins in the next ten. Isn't going to happen.

Don't know how long recruitment will take- or even if there is a 'if you do OK you can keep the gig option' but let's say 5 games.

Do we have a target return - or is some pride. passion,performance and players in proper positions enough?

I think you’re over complicating it a bit. 

Another way to look at it is that we’re 7 points off the play offs with 37 games to go. Perfectly doable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

We are only 7 points off Dogdale and 8 off Bromley in 4th so yes with 37 games to go we can absolutely salvage the season.

Tuesday and Saturdays home games are massive and if we can now muster 4 or even 6 points from them them, then it's game back on and confidence and belief grows.

Just hope some of the players have a good look at themselves now as well, and  begin to show everyone they are better than they have showed to date. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think you’re over complicating it a bit. 

Another way to look at it is that we’re 7 points off the play offs with 37 games to go. Perfectly doable. 

You make a good point. Whilst Barnet and Woking have 13 and 11 from the last 5 Harlepool and Dale with 6 and 8 look more catchable. There will be other contenders too- its a long season.

• Like 1