MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We are letting 2 a game in and are amassing a point a game, comparing us to Arsenal is really funny, particularly when we can't string two passes together or show any kind of attacking intent. We set up the same at Southend and were picked apart so at least we didn't get embarrassed yesterday but this notion that that was an Unsworth masterclass yesterday is comical, it's how he sets up away from home week in week out.

It's only laughable if you choose to look at it in the wrong context. The context is the boring boring Arsenal side set up defensive and relied on it home and away all season

2 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

Do we think we will set up any differently this weekend away at Boreham Wood ?

or will we see some dynamic attacking football (From Oldham just to avoid any confusion).

I think DU is certainly of the opinion clean sheets will deliver more victories. So that's going to be his MO. That said,  I am hoping once his now new midfield and Green returning will see these players creating and breaking the lines. With Norwood and Nuttal banging in the chances made. 

I don’t mind playing a system in order to get maximum points from a difficult fixture but what I do mind is doing it for almost the entire 90 minutes camped in our own half.

We cannot pass a bloody football to save our lives and we cannot retain possession for more than 20 seconds.

9 of the 11 starters yesterday were Unsworth signings and I saw next to zero improvement on our performances last season.

Chesterfield were in no way unbeatable but we couldn’t even step it up after they scored and were extremely fortunate to grab a point!

If his interview was after a match from last season I could understand it but some of the things he’s saying are just unbelievable.

I’m sorry, but if he thinks playing like that away from home will satisfy the masses he’s delusional.

Ward, Lundstram, Green & possibly Tunnicliffe will all have to play like world beaters to turn this debacle around!

After supporting him for the majority of last season I’m now firmly in the Unsworth out camp!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

The problem with Nuttall is that however he plays he gets to start every match. He has generally been poor and yet other strikers don't get an opportunity. It's understandable that fans are frustrated. 

I've been his biggest critic, but I have seen a change this season. It might be just me, it probably is, but he seems to be working harder. It was ridiculous putting him on the wing, but he put a shift in for the team.

He really frustrated me last season, but I'm more than happy to change my mind over him.

19 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I don’t mind playing a system in order to get maximum points from a difficult fixture but what I do mind is doing it for almost the entire 90 minutes camped in our own half.

We cannot pass a bloody football to save our lives and we cannot retain possession for more than 20 seconds.

9 of the 11 starters yesterday were Unsworth signings and I saw next to zero improvement on our performances last season.

Chesterfield were in no way unbeatable but we couldn’t even step it up after they scored and were extremely fortunate to grab a point!

If his interview was after a match from last season I could understand it but some of the things he’s saying are just unbelievable.

I’m sorry, but if he thinks playing like that away from home will satisfy the masses he’s delusional.

Ward, Lundstram, Green & possibly Tunnicliffe will all have to play like world beaters to turn this debacle around!

After supporting him for the majority of last season I’m now firmly in the Unsworth out camp!!

If you can't pass a ball to save your life then isn't it quite smart to let the opposition have most of it?

41 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I've been his biggest critic, but I have seen a change this season. It might be just me, it probably is, but he seems to be working harder. It was ridiculous putting him on the wing, but he put a shift in for the team.

He really frustrated me last season, but I'm more than happy to change my mind over him.

I'm pretty much 50/50 on him, but I thought he looked behind the pace of the play on a lot of occasions yesterday.  The exception being the through ball to Norwood in the first half where he was a step ahead of the play.

He may be the type of player who we miss when he isn't there, but in the formation we played yesterday I would definitely have had Reid on the right side in place of him.

On the other side, while taking into account that he was out of position, I thought Willoughby didn't quite look at the speed of this level yet although I think there's definitely a player in there that's worth persevering with.

By the way, what is it with the long ball from every kick off? I've seen us win headers from no more than about 2 of them since he came in.

Incredibly annoying just handing the opposition the ball immediately. What's wrong with just getting comfortable with the ball on the ground?

I've listened to Unsworth's interview with the club again and tbf to him, he's right in what he is saying about it almost being the perfect away performance for the first 45 mins, if Norwood takes the chance. He rightly praises the players if they have carried out his game plan, which did look pretty disciplined in getting a back 4 and 5 across the middle behind the ball everytime Chesterfield had it. If he felt it was the best way to get a result, then that's fair enough and it did nearly work, however, my 2 issues with it are: 1. He is more than likely to set up in a similar fashion at most other away games when we really should be taking the game to the opposition with the attacking players we've recruited. 2. It's his lack of a plan B. Ok, so you are sitting in, hoping to hit them on the counter but once you go 1-0 down, surely you have to show some intent to change it and get on the front foot in an attempt to get something from the game. He didn't do that, nor do I think he knows how to do it, the fact is we got very lucky to grab the draw at the end and was nothing to do with the manager changing his tactics. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I've listened to Unsworth's interview with the club again and tbf to him, he's right in what he is saying about it almost being the perfect away performance for the first 45 mins, if Norwood takes the chance. He rightly praises the players if they have carried out his game plan, which did look pretty disciplined in getting a back 4 and 5 across the middle behind the ball everytime Chesterfield had it. If he felt it was the best way to get a result, then that's fair enough and it did nearly work, however, my 2 issues with it are: 1. He is more than likely to set up in a similar fashion at most other away games when we really should be taking the game to the opposition with the attacking players we've recruited. 2. It's his lack of a plan B. Ok, so you are sitting in, hoping to hit them on the counter but once you go 1-0 down, surely you have to show some intent to change it and get on the front foot in an attempt to get something from the game. He didn't do that, nor do I think he knows how to do it, the fact is we got very lucky to grab the draw at the end and was nothing to do with the manager changing his tactics. 

And a lot of home games too, probably!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Correct, at Southend we were arguably still in at at 1 yet continued to plough the same furrow, same yesterday until their keeper handed us a point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Reckon the Chesterfield forum is full of fans demanding their manager be potted because they couldn't beat us?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Correct, at Southend we were arguably still in at at 1 yet continued to plough the same furrow, same yesterday until their keeper handed us a point.

Should Norwood have us one up yesterday? And did their keeper hand that chance to us

Edited by Lags

just a snippet from the Spireites board…they don’t seem to impressed with our team either!!1

Oldham were a shambles. They were disorganised. I'd rate their performance as one of the worst that I've seen by an away side v Town. Their passing, movement, ball control and tackling was awful. It was telling that during one of the breaks in play when three of ours went over to talk with our coaches, the Oldham players went nowhere near the touchline. We should have wiped the floor with them today.

9 hours ago, PeteG said:

Same for me.With the backing and funds Frank has given him we should be in the top 5 all season.On Sat he again got a get out of jail card handed to him at Chesterfield. I will still give him until October  when the injured players are back  albeit two of them never missed a game all last season.

Just a snippett from the spirerites board ..... nothing like football to have differing opinions !!

Chesterfield are not as good as they think they are ,it might be closer than they think come May.

Everything they did yesterday apart from one corner was done to perfection. They stopped us.
But this close season they probably spent just as much as us on players, players who have been EFL recently so you expect a certain level of capability out of them. Not every team in this division has that level of capability so when they have been shown the blue print on how to set up against us, we on the other hand have the higher capabilities in our attack to overcome it.
It's a game of probabilities when all is said & done. Teams will come and set up the same against us, but we have so many different options going forward that they have got to be near perfect to stop us and that isn't going to happen everytime we play. Let them all set up the same against us, we'll be better prepared to go up against it and win.

Either way, we're still gonna win more than we'll lose or draw and we'll still be champions come May.

Edited by penrhyn
typo

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

just a snippet from the Spireites board…they don’t seem to impressed with our team either!!1

Oldham were a shambles. They were disorganised. I'd rate their performance as one of the worst that I've seen by an away side v Town. Their passing, movement, ball control and tackling was awful. It was telling that during one of the breaks in play when three of ours went over to talk with our coaches, the Oldham players went nowhere near the touchline. We should have wiped the floor with them today.

So they were calling for their managers head if they couldn't beat that shambles?

3 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Same for me.With the backing and funds Frank has given him we should be in the top 5 all season.On Sat he again got a get out of jail card handed to him at Chesterfield. I will still give him until October  when the injured players are back  albeit two of them never missed a game all last season.

Relevance?

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This is what worries me, 

Their player's were taking advice during the game, whilst ours were sent out to get on with it and what a free for all it was.

We won the lottery as far as luck went and it was the let off of his life for Unsworth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Selective .

Several more comments on Latics playing well in containing Chesterfield, that Oldham didn’t give them hardly any chances, and a draw was fair result.