Time to go?

Would you sack David Unsworth following today's result?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the board relieve David Unsworth of his duties?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone be a genuine Unsworth inner by which I mean saying that he's definitely the man for the job. Many, including me, have wanted a manager to be given a proper run for a decent amount of time for the first time in over a decade and were therefore prepared to be patient. I'm not changing that on the basis of one game that I didn't watch but it's very hard to put up any sort of positive side to a debate now.

I wish words like 'fraud' and 'imposter' could disappear though. They're just not right. I'm as sure as anyone can be that he's not turned up knowing he wasn't up to it but spotting an opportunity to grab some cash, which is what they imply.

I think he is a fraud. His only management job was for Everton u23s and I know a few players that played for him and have serious questions over his ability to manage a football team. 

That was the year they won trophies and the players still seriously disliked him and had no faith in him. 

He lies to the players just like he lies to us. If youth players pick up on that, I wonder what a 33 year old James Norwood thinks of being lied to. 

When u look back it’s just been bad all round. From the start shez got more out of what he left than Unsy. He said they were not fit or good enough which is true but his return was poorer than someone else. The recruitment tbf looks good but it’s clear his style of footy doesn’t work. He can’t make us solid, he hasn’t got us keeping the ball or trying to and his counter attack or attack coaching is poor as our goal Return under him is dreadful. All in all no real signs he’ll ever turn it or make a solid manager. We’ve given plenty of time now, results aside the performances are worse so literally nothing to cling onto that he’s worth a longer punt 

You could run one of these polls every week and get the same results.

Trouble being that as every games comes and goes our chances of promotion go with them. Nobody wants to be in this league a minute longer than is necessary,

Unsworth is failing to deliver,it is an indisputable fact! 

Darren Royle needs to act for the benefit of the club and remove him from his post asap. 

I don't think I've ever seen anyone be a genuine Unsworth inner by which I mean saying that he's definitely the man for the job. Many, including me, have wanted a manager to be given a proper run for a decent amount of time for the first time in over a decade and were therefore prepared to be patient. I'm not changing that on the basis of one game that I didn't watch but it's very hard to put up any sort of positive side to a debate now.

I wish words like 'fraud' and 'imposter' could disappear though. They're just not right. I'm as sure as anyone can be that he's not turned up knowing he wasn't up to it but spotting an opportunity to grab some cash, which is what they imply.

Some fair points Dave but I can understand why many use the term "fraud".

He clearly must have given Darren and co the impression before his appointment, that he had the coaching skillset and management ability to get the team to where they wanted.

We've all probably given a bit of bullshit at interviews to try and get a job in the past....I have anyway!

However from what I have seen over the past 12 months on the football field, which is ultimately where he will be judged, this seems like it was probably more than just a bit of bullshit.... as he really looks and sounds completely out of his depth.

So did he "fraudulently" make claims that he could achieve something that he clearly can't?

You get my point.....

Anyway personally I just think he's a really crap manager, and the board need to admit they made a huge mistake with his appointment and try someone else with more experience. 

He clearly must have given Darren and co the impression before his appointment, that he had the coaching skillset and management ability to get the team to where they wanted.

We've all probably given a bit of bullshit at interviews to try and get a job in the past....I have anyway!

However from what I have seen over the past 12 months on the football field, which is ultimately where he will be judged, this seems like it was probably more than just a bit of bullshit.... as he really looks and sounds completely out of his depth.

So did he "fraudulently" make claims that he could achieve something that he clearly can't?

You get my point.....

Anyway personally I just think he's a really crap manager, and the board need to admit they made a huge mistake with his appointment and try someone else with more experience. 

You get my point.....

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

You get my point.....

Sorry not sure how it posted 3 times.....😬

47 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Exactly, I was cringing yesterday as the voices for him to go got louder and louder. I feel sorry that this being what he thought was an ideal opportunity to test himself in management hasn’t worked out, but he’s had a year and im not having the notion “well he’s only just put his mark on the team “ that’s bollocks in my opinion, he’s been tinkering around now with the squad, brought people in prior to his all important pre season and I’ve seen very little of anything resembling progress. 8 games into this season and there’s  already a large gap between us and the top. He’s literally been given a shiny new toy with everything on it but doesn’t know how to use it. 

I don't like and never have booed and have been critical of it in the past but I thought yesterday the vast majority of fans fully supported the team until the 80th minute so I applaud them for that as it took an immense amount of patience to do that.

I have tried to leave the decision making to the board but surely they must be asking him why are you only playing one striker with several on the bench.

He really isn't helping himself

• Like 1

Foolish, stubborn, negligent. Those are some of the words being used re Frank and the board on here and twitter. By the way, I know it can get a bit spicy in here sometimes but urgh what a cesspit twitter is. Some proper nasty hateful trolls on there.

Anyway, going to apply some cold light of day logic to the actions of the board:

Sep 2022 - DU appointed with 3 year deal. Presumably as the board anticipated a 3 year plan to get out of the league (survive, consolidate, grow).
Dec 2022 - strong calls for him to go from a section of the fans. Board don't panic - this first season all about rebuilding infrastructure.
May 2022 - performances got better (although still not attractive) and our form over 2nd half was play off form. Not going to sack him after that.
Southend - shocker, but Unsworth ill and lots of injury disruption in the run up.
Aldershot - here we go!
Halifax - good performance, bad result.
Chesterfield - defensive but got a good point
Borehamwood - difficult team, decent point. Clean sheet.
Solihull - played well, early sending off, missed 2 open goals
Gateshead - another away draw but football poor
Dorking - poor. very poor all round.

Looking at it from the board's point of view, that match yesterday is probably the first point at which there are clear warning signs in terms of signs of things not improving at least in some way. This ties in with a few posters on here now saying the time they were giving has probably now been used up. Myself included. 

I don't think the fact that they haven't sacked him yet is any indication of a problem with the board. I think it makes sense, given how they clearly want to run the club and treat their staff. But I'd be surprised if he's still here by the end of the month if there hasn't been a big change in results.

Quick edit to say that I know others will have a different view of the last 12 months, especially those who wanted him sacked after a few games and probably now see themselves as "right". But I'm trying to look at how the board might have seen it with a view to their actions so far.

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

You get my point.....

That's the whole problem with the word. There's no way he went into the job knowing full well he wasn't up to it. There's a different debate about whether he should now acknowledge that he probably isn't.

It's in the same category as 'cheat' for a ref who has a shocker, 'liar' for someone who says something subsequently shown to be untrue with hindsight or 'hate' which I reserve for a very, very small group of people I have come across.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Foolish, stubborn, negligent. Those are some of the words being used re Frank and the board on here and twitter. By the way, I know it can get a bit spicy in here sometimes but urgh what a cesspit twitter is. Some proper nasty hateful trolls on there.

Anyway, going to apply some cold light of day logic to the actions of the board:

Sep 2022 - DU appointed with 3 year deal. Presumably as the board anticipated a 3 year plan to get out of the league (survive, consolidate, grow).
Dec 2022 - strong calls for him to go from a section of the fans. Board don't panic - this first season all about rebuilding infrastructure.
May 2022 - performances got better (although still not attractive) and our form over 2nd half was play off form. Not going to sack him after that.
Southend - shocker, but Unsworth ill and lots of injury disruption in the run up.
Aldershot - here we go!

Looking at it from the board's point of view, that match yesterday is probably the first point at which there are clear warning signs in terms of signs of things not improving at least in some way. This ties in with a few posters on here now saying the time they were giving has probably now been used up. Myself included. 

I don't think the fact that they haven't sacked him yet is any indication of a problem with the board. I think it makes sense, given how they clearly want to run the club and treat their staff. But I'd be surprised if he's still here by the end of the month if there hasn't been a big change in results.

Quick edit to say that I know others will have a different view of the last 12 months, especially those who wanted him sacked after a few games and probably now see themselves as "right". But I'm trying to look at how the board might have seen it with a view to their actions so far.

Do the board actually have any formal  meetings to discuss the management of the club or does what the CEO says goes without question?

Also is there a mechanism for the CEO to be changed?

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Do the board actually have any formal  meetings to discuss the management of the club or does what the CEO says goes without question?

Do you want the CEO changed? A man who had massively helped improve the whole infrastructure? 

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Do you want the CEO changed? A man who had massively helped improve the whole infrastructure? 

What’s the point having a decent infrastructure and an absolute shit show on the football pitch.  Not to mention a manager who is completely and utterly out of his depth. No point scooting around the issue get him feckin sacked now. 

Edited by Fervid
Spelling mistake

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The notion that Darren Royle is some sort a puppet master who just wants to keep his mate in the job no matter how bad the results are or how many fans stop going is pure conspiracy theory nonsense.

Being more patient than fans with the first team manager is not an indication of a negligent board in itself. I'm sure they have regular board meetings and regularly discuss the issues on the pitch and what effect that is having on the running of the club in general.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fervid said:

What’s the point having a decent infrastructure and an absolute shit show on the football pitch.  Not to mention a manager who is completely and utterly out of his depth. No point scooting around the issue get him feckin sacked now. 

Two different arguments. BP seems to eb alluding the the fact we should possibly chnlamge the CEO. Change the manager, fair enough, but you have to trust that we have people in charge who want the best fir the club and clearly they do

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Aldershot - here we go!

Thats a very reasonable summary of his tenure so far. I wouldn’t say accurate as I think you’ve been over generous on this season’s performances, but that’s only my opinion.

The board are reasonable people (I presume), so I guess this is the way they are looking at it.

From what I’ve seen over the twelve months he’s been in the job I just don’t think he’s up to it. He get’s outfoxed by managers with far less resources, his style of football is boring to watch, his team selections baffling and he talks about a different game than everyone else has seen.

I still don’t see him being removed yet though, as Frank and co seem to have a lot more patience than most fans. I think it’ll take an alarming drop in attendances for that to happen, as I’m sure (and I’m not sure why) that the next five or six fixtures will see us creep, or even crawl up the table.

4 minutes ago, oldham57 said:

The Royles have proven capability of managing bigger clubs, Unsworth has no proven capability.  We've all been patient, now is the time to be strong and get in a proven manager who can get a tune out of these players.  Unsworth is definitely not that man.

People really need to stop saying this, there's been no patience at all, there were calls for him to go a matter of weeks after he took over and they've barely subsided since.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

People really need to stop saying this, there's been no patience at all, there were calls for him to go a matter of weeks after he took over and they've barely subsided since.

I’m not surprised. Honestly I have a passion and love for our club that goes beyond being reasonable, it’s one of the most central things to my life, as sad as that sounds. 

Those first few months under Unsworth made me feel like I didn’t want to go anymore. I went Bromley, Maidenhead and stuck with it until Altrnicham away. I then had to take time out as it was getting to much things were that bad. 

He’s been nothing but a shambles since he came in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

The recruitment tbf looks good but it’s clear his style of footy doesn’t work.

I'd say we can legitimately question the recruitment too.

The players we have brought in have looked decent on paper, but there doesn't appear to have been a plan to it. We haven't recruited for a system or formation, and we've got a squad with loads of ST and CB, but only one LB, one RB (who doesn't play), and very little in CM (Gardner who was out of favour judging by squad numbers, Sheron, Shelton and Lundstram and that's it)

Looks like signing players and not building a team to me

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Just a couple of points. The results, rather than performances were better from January - I don't think the performances changed that much. There were still some proper stinkers in that run (Eastleigh, Boreham Wood, Altrincham and Gateshead).

Pre-empting those who quickly realised he was a bad choice will say "I told you so" is something that you might just have to take on the chin. I had early concerns about his appointment due to the mixed reputation he had at Everton and the fact no other club had given him a permanent senior role even though he'd been retired from playing for over 10 years. I was willing to give him a chance to allay those concerns, but he never has done. 

There'll be no "I told you so" from me. Once he goes, a line needs to be drawn under this episode, we need to get the right man in, the fans need to reunite (again!) and we need to get the pre-Unsworth feel good factor back. 

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 7

We could do with another Suzanne Geldard Q&A with the manager..

Hi Dave - Are you aware of the increasing number of supporters calling for you to go?

How do you feel about that? 
How is the mood in the dressing room - are the players frustrated by how you are choosing to play?

etc etc

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We could do with another Suzanne Geldard Q&A with the manager..

Hi Dave - Are you aware of the increasing number of supporters calling for you to go?

How do you feel about that? 
How is the mood in the dressing room - are the players frustrated by how you are choosing to play?

etc etc

Same at any club when results not going right

I want to put it right on the pitch 

The mood in the dressing room is good they want to do better and get wins on the board

Those are the only answers you'd get from any manager to those questions 

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Just a couple of points. The results, rather than performances were better from January - I don't think the performances changed that much. There were still some proper stinkers in that run (Eastleigh, Boreham Wood, Altrincham and Gateshead).

Pre-empting those who quickly realised he was a bad choice will say "I told you so" is something that you might just have to take on the chin. I had early concerns about his appointment due to the mixed reputation he had at Everton and the fact no other club had given him a permanent senior role even though he'd been retired from playing for over 10 years. I was willing to give him a chance to allay those concerns, but he never has done. 

There'll be no "I told you so" from me. Once he goes, a line needs to be drawn under this episode, we need to get the right man in, the fans need to reunite (again!) and we need to get the pre-Unsworth feel good factor back. 

On performances I thought January was aimless punting. Aldershot away being a real low point. By the end of the season it was a bit better - our punts were more targetted. I think there was a bit of an improvement but I’m splitting hairs there!

Every club has those who are quick to judge. For me that doesn’t make them right when it doesn’t work out in the long run. I’m just trying to see how the board might be seeing it, as being a well run club overall is more important to me if we want long term success. If the only thing they’ve done wrong is appointed the wrong management team then that’s fairly easily rectified. And it will have little overall damage, depending on when the mistake is corrected. 

• Like 1