Time to go?

Would you sack David Unsworth following today's result?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the board relieve David Unsworth of his duties?

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Depends if it was their first 8 games ever managed, or if they were pretty shit last season as well.

I see Tranmere have sacked their manager today.  And York have done already this season.

And the chances are it won't make much difference to their fortunes, particularly in Tranmeres case.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Three of last seasons top eight, a team that properly had the wood over us last season in Gateshead and an improved Solihull.

It does nae get much tougher then dat.

Is that an improved Solihull who appointed their manager on the eve of the season? We've played Aldershot, Halifax, Solihull and Dorking at home and have mustered a massive 4 points, I wouldn't class any of those games as tough, in fact I would expect ten points from those games given the respected budgets. Granted our away fixtures have been a little tougher but our home form particularly has been dire.

A winning machine we are not.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Is that an improved Solihull who appointed their manager on the eve of the season? We've played Aldershot, Halifax, Solihull and Dorking at home and have mustered a massive 4 points, I wouldn't class any of those games as tough, in fact I would expect ten points from those games given the respected budgets. Granted our away fixtures have been a little tougher but our home form particularly has been dire.

A winning machine we are not.

The home form has been very disappointing for sure.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Just on the nepotism thing, is it fact that DR and DU are long standing friends? Or is that something that’s been assumed by some? It gets brought up a lot but I genuinely don’t know. 

About 15x years ago I used to go on a golfing holiday in Majorca with my local pub, and for 3x years on the trot Joe Royle had a group of his ex-players (9 or 10 in total) were on a trip staying at the same hotel and DU was there with Joe's party.

16 minutes ago, pcassist said:

About 15x years ago I used to go on a golfing holiday in Majorca with my local pub, and for 3x years on the trot Joe Royle had a group of his ex-players (9 or 10 in total) were on a trip staying at the same hotel and DU was there with Joe's party.

hmmm. 

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Do the board actually have any formal  meetings to discuss the management of the club or does what the CEO says goes without question?

Also is there a mechanism for the CEO to be changed?

Of course they have meetings. It's almost as if you ask questions like that to provoke someone saying don't be silly so you can block them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Just on the nepotism thing, is it fact that DR and DU are long standing friends? Or is that something that’s been assumed by some? It gets brought up a lot but I genuinely don’t know. 

No idea about DR and DU but I am reliably informed that Joe R and DU are very good friends. As a pair, they once even took charge of the Everton first team together. 

Listening to his post match interview, he is persisting with the idea that we are creating loads of chances each game and are somehow unlucky! 

In the games I’ve seen that simply isn’t true, most recently at Borehamwood we created almost nothing and it was utterly dire.

He really doesn’t help himself and it’s pretty insulting to the fans that pay good money to then be told they had effectively watched a different game

42 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

No idea about DR and DU but I am reliably informed that Joe R and DU are very good friends. As a pair, they once even took charge of the Everton first team together. 

Wasn’t he his captain? Not a great shock he’s taken an interest in his coaching career. 

So the connection with Joe Royle maybe shows an influence in him getting the job. But what’s the suggestion re nepotism? Is it that Joe will keep telling the board to stick with DU no matter what happens?

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Of course they have meetings. It's almost as if you ask questions like that to provoke someone saying don't be silly so you can block them.

I asked a question out of interest as I've never seen a board meeting  mentioned and as usual you think you are cleverer than anyone else when

you are really a pompous pain.

You're blocked.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I asked a question out of interest as I've never seen a board meeting  mentioned and as usual you think you are cleverer than anyone else when

You're blocked.

🤣. I wonder why the poster would expect to see anything about board meetings. Entitled and naive.  As it happens I know when the next one is.

Edited by Dave_Og

1 hour ago, Fervid said:

If Joe Royle is happy to see this club go on as it is on the pitch rather than sack a friend who hasn’t got a feckin scoopy what he’s doing we have bigger problems than we thought. 

I'd hazard a guess, Joe is only involved for his son. Who else would employ DR as a CEO of a football club after Wigan?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

5 now, no more on the horizon at the moment.

There's enough joker's on here for that to double in no time at all

Infact, they deserve blocking if only for defending the indefensible, knowing full well the damage it's doing to the club but carry on regardless 

The sad bastards 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 7:36 AM, Dave_Og said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone be a genuine Unsworth inner by which I mean saying that he's definitely the man for the job. Many, including me, have wanted a manager to be given a proper run for a decent amount of time for the first time in over a decade and were therefore prepared to be patient. I'm not changing that on the basis of one game that I didn't watch but it's very hard to put up any sort of positive side to a debate now.

I wish words like 'fraud' and 'imposter' could disappear though. They're just not right. I'm as sure as anyone can be that he's not turned up knowing he wasn't up to it but spotting an opportunity to grab some cash, which is what they imply.

Couldn't have put it better.

I really wanted it to work out for Us and Unsworth. I'm probably one of the minority that thinks he comes across really well in everything other than his post match interviews, and by all accounts he's a really nice bloke.

I was all for giving him 'til October/November but I certainly didn't expect us to sit one point outside the relegation places with only 1 win from our opening 8.

Thanks for trying David, but I think it's time to go.

• Like 1

He's been given more than enough time to show if he has the ability to improve players,knows the best team selection and use of subs and has sadly failed.His style of football is beyond boring as shown by the number of fans who play games on their phones.With everything  else here improving then this must be changed otherwise our new fans will and have drifted awsy .

• Like 2

2 goals scored in the last 4 games with 5 strikers on the books. Think those 5 strikers have scored 3 between them? (All Norwood). So much for the fast flowing, dynamic football. He doesn't know how to use the players he's got (almost all players he's brought in). 

I can't help but think he's relying on Lundstram being an absolute world beater. A lot of pressure for a guy signed from Alty...

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, BP1960 said:

You're blocked.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, BP1960 said:

5 now, no more on the horizon at the moment.

At the risk of becoming no.6........

Come on, @BP1960, there's no need for that. I would say @Dave_Og is one of the more thoughtful and restrained posters on here! You're resorting to the personal abuse that you rightly complain about from others.

It's a discussion forum, all sorts of opinions, as has often been pointed out. Remember the one thing we all have in common - the misfortune to be Latics fans! 😆 Relax and don't get so touchy.

15 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

At the risk of becoming no.6........

Come on, @BP1960, there's no need for that. I would say @Dave_Og is one of the more thoughtful and restrained posters on here! You're resorting to the personal abuse that you rightly complain about from others.

It's a discussion forum, all sorts of opinions, as has often been pointed out. Remember the one thing we all have in common - the misfortune to be Latics fans! 😆 Relax and don't get so touchy.

Life's too short.  The man is touchier than MC Hammer

• Like 3