The Next Oldham Manager

15 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Into 5s. My fiver on Pete Wild has cut him from 33s to 20s 😀

😂 nice. Interims are sometimes worth a dabble. Made a decent amount on Wellens. I think Benachour did a few folk dirty though as I seem to remember him getting the boot after 9 games. 

Whoever comes in, I do hope Steve Thompson is kept on in some capacity. Purely because it’s evident he’s got a decent football brain and the players respect and like him.

Enjoyed his interviews last night, even though he said “bring something to the table” a lot.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Whoever comes in, I do hope Steve Thompson is kept on in some capacity. Purely because it’s evident he’s got a decent football brain and the players respect and like him.

Enjoyed his interviews last night, even though he said “bring something to the table” a lot.

Wonder if Director of Football might be an option, with a younger head coach?

Unsworth brought a lot to the table...

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Unsworth brought a lot to the table...

I would be quite happy if they gave it to Tommo for the rest of the season (if he actually wants it)

There are hundreds of potential managers out there and zero guarantee that any individual will work out so frankly, rather than go through more upheaval just give him the chance and if he keeps it simple like he did last night I’ll be very happy

I also think a system and plan should be built by the club rather than an individual so “managers” or head coach can come and go but the system stays in place….attacking style, pressing, front foot football please!

Edited by Ritchierich

37 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I would be quite happy if they gave it to Tommo for the rest of the season (if he actually wants it)

There are hundreds of potential managers out there and zero guarantee that any individual will work out so frankly, rather than go through more upheaval just give him the chance and if he keeps it simple like he did last night I’ll be very happy

I also think a system and plan should be built by the club rather than an individual so “managers” or head coach can come and go but the system stays in place….attacking style, pressing, front foot football please!

Promoting Thompson would be by far the least expensive option. It would also cause much less disruption behind the scenes rather than a new man coming in and wanting to change everything!

I couldn’t give a flying f*** who the manager is If we continue to win football matches!!

If he shows he wants the gig, give it him until the end of the season and then that would be the time to make a more measured decision.

• Like 1

As a club we've had success with managers in their first jobs. We've also had some stinkers.  The main reason we've probably gone for those types before is because they're the cheapest.

For a change, we're not in a position where we have to do that. So rather than take a punt on an unproven option (whether a young new coach, or an older one like Thompson) I'd rather us invest in a management team that has lots of experience of success. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Promoting Thompson would be by far the least expensive option. It would also cause much less disruption behind the scenes rather than a new man coming in and wanting to change everything!

I couldn’t give a flying f*** who the manager is If we continue to win football matches!!

If he shows he wants the gig, give it him until the end of the season and then that would be the time to make a more measured decision.

I can't believe he'd decide at the age of 58 that he wants to get into full time management

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't believe he'd decide at the age of 58 that he wants to get into full time management

…but that’s kind of my point, I think the club needs to build a long term team of coaches, scouts, analysts, perhaps a director of Football type roll and a preferred style of play (attacking!) and then the manager or head coach fits into that rather than the merry go round and massive upheaval every time…I think this could provide the stability we need…this is how companies work and they try to hire people who fit into the culture and ethos of the company rather than changing everything twice a year!

1 minute ago, Ritchierich said:

…but that’s kind of my point, I think the club needs to build a long term team of coaches, scouts, analysts, perhaps a director of Football type roll and a preferred style of play (attacking!) and then the manager or head coach fits into that rather than the merry go round and massive upheaval every time…I think this could provide the stability we need…this is how companies work and they try to hire people who fit into the culture and ethos of the company rather than changing everything twice a year!

His current job is head of recruitment, so he's already running the scouts. It seems possible that that role could be expanded into overseeing all footballing aspects. I'd rather someone of his experience fill that role and a new management/coaching team come in under him.

6 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I agree with that but I'd have Steve Thompson as part of the team of coaches/recruitment team rather than as the Head Coach.

Edited by GlossopLatic

11 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Agreed.  I think that's what they were trying to do - but got to be the right people.  They had a very difficult starting point

It’s just one game. Yes there was a vast improvement but I genuinely believe you could have stuck anyone in that dugout and there would have been the same reaction.

I want to see Darrell Clarke or Micky Mellon appointed. Happy for Thompson to stick around in some capacity although the recruitment towards the end of the summer started to seem a bit bizarre. Was this under Unsworth’s direction though? 

• Like 1

I’d like to see Maher in if he’s out of a job in a few weeks due to the shitshow at Southend, and is willing to relocate. No compo due and a good manager at this level.

If we can afford to pay off another club for a manager’s services though, Williamson would be my no.1 target, though it’d take time to implement his intricate passing style of play with our midfielders.

I really hope that Clemence being at the game isn’t Darren saying to the board - I know someone. 

DU got sacked on Sunday, and two days later, a potential manager is walking around at the game with him. Where is the recruitment process? 

Or maybe it’s nothing, and the bookies favourite just happened to be at the game and bump into Darren 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I really hope that Clemence being at the game isn’t Darren saying to the board - I know someone. 

DU got sacked on Sunday, and two days later, a potential manager is walking around at the game with him. Where is the recruitment process? 

Or maybe it’s nothing, and the bookies favourite just happened to be at the game and bump into Darren 

If he was with DR there will be a reason.