The Next Oldham Manager

6 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Why no news?

Has Mellon changed his mind? Did the ink in the pen run out? Is Frank still trying to print some money?

Media awash with the news but sweet F.A from the club. This club is inept as usual.

It's so everyone's so piss-boiled out, they won't have the energy to moan about Mark Hughes being appointed on Monday...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

Very satisfied with this appointment. Success is never guaranteed, even Guadiola wouldn’t be a shoe in at this level. But Mellon is successful and knowledgeable in this League. Just as important most potential signing’s will probably know him and his methods before committing to the cause . 
All aboard. 

Yes, but would he be likely to get the boot after a poor start?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Why no news?

Has Mellon changed his mind? Did the ink in the pen run out? Is Frank still trying to print some money?

Media awash with the news but sweet F.A from the club. This club is inept as usual.

I hereby nominate this for Ridiculous Post of the Year Award.

Do I have a seconder?

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Indeed. I think, especlally this season, some of the football might be attritional at times. He be under pressure from the off and will need results, or at least to match the 45% win ratio he's bobbed along with throughout his career. Should we be in the same division next season, I would think he'll have more wriggle room to build a mentally tough, physical and dangerous team. The last two matches suggest we're nowhere near mentally tough or physical. I'm expecting a complete overhaul in midfield (probably via loans) and wouldn't be surprised if one or two 'luxury' players will be out of favour quite quickly.

I've had chance to think more about this appointment. It's a calculated decision from the board. They clearly want a man with a proven track record at this level and also the one above. He's a good play-offs man, given both Tranmere ones came via that route and this season, realistically, is about the best we can achieve. He was the only candidate who stood out who has that success in the bank. Even if it doesn't work out for him, I can't fault the board for picking him out on this occasion. It's worth noting that he picked out Jamie Vardy when he was Fleetwood manager so he's certainly a good judge of a player one would feel.

Fully behind the appointment, even though I'd perhaps not have gone for him myself. 

He also picked out Kyle Jameson for Tranmere... 

League 1 talks more sense than most. Although I agree with winning, winning unsworth way was shit and lucky. for me it has to be winning in an aggressive manner, winning in an ugly way but aways with an actual tactic. Unsworth wins were pure luck. I hope Micky will bring the added grit, composure and “style” to winning in such a a way!

Before we all get carried away with the new manager , maybe we should read articles about the negatives , ie style of play being negative , very low scoring teams managed , winning 2 games out of 11 (at tranmere ) Fans chanting we want Mellon out  . Doe's this sound familiar ? Mr Unsworth comes to mind . Oldham Athletic can try keep a manager who's record was abysmal , but they can't try to keep a manager who didn't lose a game , who was very honest in appraisals ( instead of bullshit ) and an Oldhamer . They should have given Steve Thompson until the end of season at least ( obviously if that's what he wanted )If not   they should've waited till after Altrincham game as that would prove if he  was up to the job . But we'll never know now . good luck Steve Thompson you deserved better !!!

The guy has a 46% win record with Tranmere over almost 200 league games .And 45% over almost 700 games overall. Nothing like Mr Unsworth OR Mr Thompson for that matter but good luck to both of them. After the initial bounce think Thomo was lost, which is probably why he has never been  a manager before . So if Paul Murray wins at Altrincham you think he should be given the job. We needed what we have got , good experienced manager who knows how to win games at this level and the level above . Has an eye for players , wont take any shit , builds a winning mentality .And shows as much passion as the fans do. It also gives us continuity with regards to signing players , who wants to sign for a manager on a deal untill the end of the season who may not be here the season after . 

Bit of digging for Mellons tonight. We could see Tollitt return from the cold since he managed him at Tranmere as a loanee:

Micky Mellon is a big fan of the winger [Tollitt]. His dribbling and boldness to run at defenders has endeared him to both the manager and the Prenton Park faithful.

“We know that we really rate Ben, and if you ask him he loves it here – he really does,” Mellon said. “He knows what a special place it is to play football.

“And I think the fans really enjoy him playing here. Look, he’s nowhere near the finished article that he can become, but he’s certainly got flashes of stuff at the minute which makes you think ‘oh that’s different to what we’ve seen’.

“He’s got loads of work to do but he’s a good lad and a good player and we would love to keep him here.”

An article on Mellon's style of play had Tranmere defender Ritchie Sutton relishing his new role:

Sutton is now a regular fixture alongside Steve McNulty in the heart of defence and is an integral part of the new passing style which has seen so much league success in the last two months.

“Over the course of my career I’ve not done it particularly much to be honest,” he said.

“I’ve played in more direct sides rather than playing out from the back, so I’ve picked it up pretty well and the manager seems to be happy with me.

“I think once you’ve played the game and you’re experienced you can pick these things up and I think it’s worked well for us.”

He might even bring in Mike Jackson as his no.2 and a new fitness coach:

Mellon has never attempted to downplay the role of an assistant manager and his description of the number two expected to follow him out of Merseyside, Mike Jackson, speaks volumes about how crucial this appointment will be to the success of this project.

“He brought Mike with him from Shrewsbury,” said Jones. “Speaking about the relationship between the two of them, the way Micky put it was that Jacko is everything he’s not and he’s everything that Jacko’s not. The two of them clearly complement each other.

“The day Jacko was announced I asked Micky what he brings and he said: ‘A massive dossier of coaching sessions!’ Micky will be there at every training session but Jacko does a lot of the organising.

“There’s his head fitness coach as well (Andy Hodgen), who came from Shrewsbury with him. There would obviously be compensation to agree but I would expect Micky to try to bring them with him.”

He's flexible in his tactical approach, so he'll need players who will be comfortable switching formations quickly, to match areas we're struggling with:

“He’s very, very flexible,” said Jones. “There was another game-changing moment in the League Two season I remember well. Tranmere were playing Lincoln and there had been a bit of rivalry between them in the National League. There was a bit of needle in this game and Lincoln were all over them in the first half.

“Tranmere had started 4-4-2 and at half-time Micky put an extra man into midfield for a 4-5-1. Rovers ran all over them and won 1-0. He stuck with 4-5-1 for a while after that.

“He was also very successful with 3-5-2 for a period in the National League and with 4-4-2. He’ll play whatever formation he feels suits the players available and the opposition they’re up against.”

There's obviously quite a special bond with Norwood:

The 28-year-old striker is in the best form of his career, scoring an exceptional 32 goals in 52 games, with an average xG ratio of 0.46 over the course of the season becoming the EFL’s top scorer whilst also scoring many match-winning goals. And whilst he looks certain for a move away from the Birkenhead club in the Summer, there is no disputing the fact that Mellon and his backroom staff have developed Norwood into a more complete player, capable of playing at a higher level and for that Mellon deserves a great deal of credit.

Loves an after match beer with 'Cookie':

“The only thing I’m worried about with Paul Cook being here is that he’s in my office now. And anyone who knows Paul Cook, my fridge is wide open with beer,” Mellon joked.

And finally, the easy win. A nice big fist-pump to the Athleticos after victory should go down a treat!

“The minute Micky walks out of the tunnel before a game he claps the three stands the home fans are in. If they win he runs to the Kop and give a big fist pump. He gets everyone going.”

Articles:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tollitt-tranmere-rovers-mellon-portsmouth-12270924

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/ritchie-sutton-tranmeres-style-changed-12293881
https://footballbh.net/2019/05/25/micky-mellon-tranmere-rovers-head-coach-analysis-statistics/
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1433228/analysis-what-type-of-dundee-united-team-will-micky-mellon-build-and-how-will-he-go-about-it/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Bit of digging for Mellons tonight. We could see Tollitt return from the cold since he managed him at Tranmere as a loanee:

An article on Mellon's style of play had Tranmere defender Ritchie Sutton relishing his new role:

He might even bring in Mike Jackson as his no.2 and a new fitness coach:

He's flexible in his tactical approach, so he'll need players who will be comfortable switching formations quickly, to match areas we're struggling with:

There's obviously quite a special bond with Norwood:

Loves an after match beer with 'Cookie':

And finally, the easy win. A nice big fist-pump to the Athleticos after victory should go down a treat!

Articles:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tollitt-tranmere-rovers-mellon-portsmouth-12270924

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/ritchie-sutton-tranmeres-style-changed-12293881
https://footballbh.net/2019/05/25/micky-mellon-tranmere-rovers-head-coach-analysis-statistics/
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1433228/analysis-what-type-of-dundee-united-team-will-micky-mellon-build-and-how-will-he-go-about-it/

All feels a bit Dowie - esque to me. 

Bring it on. 💙

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trfc2024 said:

Hi all,

Tranmere fan here, have seen some posts questioning Micky's record/style of play so wanted to put my perspective on it

For me, you could not have got a better manager for what you need, he will get the fans and players onside and he will make sure that every player is giving 100% game in, game out. 

With his record, you can largely ignore his second spell with us, when he came back he was not in charge of recruitment anymore, was not allowed to bring in an assistant to him and the budget had been cut. He was told to play a set formation - which he abandoned early on- and was given a recruitment model that we have abandoned already which is telling. He was never the right manager for the role he had come back to.

Similarly with style of play, yes he doesn't like to get beat but... in the National League we played good football, back in the EFL he was always battling against teams with more money and often massively overachieved- the league two promotion for example. 

Like with any manager at this level there are negatives, he is stubborn at times and to make it work he needs to have complete control. I thought it was interesting your recruitment member has gone and not returned to his role, as I put above his main complaint was regarding him not being in charge of transfers when he came back.

One thing you will find in a few weeks is a player will suddenly drop out the squad, Micky is a hard taskmaster and if he feels a player is slacking in training then he will just be out, no questions asked. We left Andy Cook out for a number of weeks despite him being arguably our best player at the time.

I would not be shocked either for you to sign an experienced central defender and central midfielder if you do not have one currently, he likes a spine that is experienced- Peter Clarke/McNulty/Jay Harris etc

One last one is that his teams start the season slowly, seems to happen each season and then from a few months onwards it clicks.

Best of luck to him and to you and I would be really shocked if you are not fighting up the right end of the table with him at the end of the season.

Thanks for the insight, he seems to be just what we need as a club, hopefully he will be able to bring whoever he wants/needs in and some budget remains to facilitate it.