The Next Oldham Manager

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Suppose it would depend how entertaining season two was and whether we could see what he was trying to do. 

If there was fan restlessness in season two, I could understand the appeal for patience from certain factions as the evidence would be there from season one that he could do it. 

No chance. Finish in play offs one season and midtable the next would be an absolute failure.

Right, he's gone then. I'll run down the names mentioned in this thread so far, and my own thoughts. I've a feeling he'll be one of the names here anyway:

Danny Cowley
Great choice. Did amazingly well at Lincoln. Knows League one down to National League really well. Available too, had a nice break and will be hungry. Downside would be playing style would be physical, robust and more long ball style to a large forward. 8/10

Ritchie Wellens
Unfinished business here and a chance to right the wrong of overseeing our basket case club to relegation. Loads of success since. Well out of our ball park unfortunately unless he gets sacked today. 3/10

Michael Carrick
Has heavy Man United connections which would never win a percentage of our fanbase over. Very highly doubt he'll leave Championship Middlesborough to drop four divisions though. Never happening. 0/10

Kevin Maher
He'd be my choice. Former Latic (although wasn't prominant) and has cut his teeth now with some caretaker roles before Southend. Despite all the pantomime around their club, he's been brilliant and was the most impressive footballing side I saw us play last season and this. Played us off the park in every match (I know, no mean feat and all that). Slightly doubtly he'd leave 'his club' to come the length of the country to us though. Would be the one fans would be most patient with too. 9/10

Mike Williamson
Great player in his day and what he's achieved at Gateshead has been phenomenal. Not sure it's transferred to this season though after most of his best players last season were taken off him. He'd try and build a tenacious, heavy pressing team and moving from Gateshead to us would be a nice upward step for him. 7/10

Jim Gannon
Just fuck right off. He's long lost his shine and his appointment would send our fanbase into meltdown. Big, fat 0/10 for me Clive.

Pete Wild
Would love him to come back. Fans would adore him. Godlike status which is slightly baffling since he hasn't yet achieved anything in the game. However he'd get all the patience in the world and would try and play good football. It's the wrong time for him, perhaps a target once we achieve promotion and we stall somehwat. 4/10

Lee Johnson
Just taken the job at Fleetwood which is good as he'd be a terrible appointment. Stunk the place out when leaving and despite some promising runs of form he's fell apart at every club he's been at. Blagger. 1/10

Iain Dowie
Not worked since the Arctic Monkey's second album. Only worth wheeling out to entertain hospitality IMO. 2/10

Frankie Bunn / Peter Clarke Dream Team
Wouldn't discount this. Thought he did well before being sacked on a whim. Great eye for loan signings too. Hasn't worked other than coaching since though. 6/10.

Andy Peaks
Fans wouldn't accept someone so low down the pyramid at Tamworth. Achieved promotion before with Rushton. We and the board need a bigger name and bigger credentials rather than someone who'd be good for a raw gem but a complete gamble. 3/10

Micky Mellon
Ticks a lot of boxes. Available. Promotion with Tranmere, a similar-sized club to us when in non-league. Promotion with Shrews too. Stock is still relatively high. Prone to rapid dips in form though. 8/10

Neil Warnock
I don't think we even feature on his radar any more. Not one to the future since he's about 70 and he was pulled out of retirement for a shot to nothing with one of his big loves. Nah. 1/10

• Like 1

Danny Cowley

Leam Richardson

Darren Clarke

Mickey Mellon

Lots of managers out of jobs, all of them a huge improvement on DU. Add in our supposed pulling power and there’s lots of in job managers who would be very interested. 

Next appointment is massive though, so we need to take our time, do a proper process and stay away from employing your mate. 

• Like 1

Add a couple more into the mix. I suspect as @Lee Sinnott says, Mellon wil be favourite.

Simon Weaver
Been at Harrogate since 2009 so pipe and slippers job with him. Prob lacks the drive to better himself but turned them from National League North makeweights to a well run club in League Two. They're at their ceiling though so time for a change? 3/10

Gary Bowyer
Stock's lowered somewhat since his Blackpool heyday. Could be a contender but last two jobs have failed fairly miserably. (4/10)

Marc White
Why the fuck not? The ludicrous love in for the ludicrous snapback cap wearer could continue at pace. Calls it as he sees it so post match interviews would be fantastic (for a change). It'd never happen though as there's too much at stake for the owners to get this right and he's barely left the confines of the M25. 3/10

Phil Parkinson
The Alty one, obvs. Far too low are target for us realistically, however he's on a really impressive spell at Alty who punch above their weight. Don't think he'd make the shortlist based on that, but he'd most likely do a far better job than 80% of the candidates on my previous (and this) post. 7/10

Karl Robinson
Horrible bastard but is he a horrible bastard because he wasn't a horrible bastard for us? Loads of play-off and promotion experience with MK Dons and Oxford. Was assistant to Allardyce at Leeds last year. Wouldn't be out of the ordinary but can't see our fans taking to him. 5/10.

Darrell Clarke
Impressive CV. Promotion with Bristol Rovers playing exciting football. Got Port Vale up, a club similar to us in what they've been through. It's unravelled last season but he's a strong candidate for me and he's available. I'd expect him to bring in quality from League one and two as well. 9/10.

33 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I like the look of Mellon’s cv. What’s his playing style?

Think it was more Wrexham than Notts County in style. He's worked with Norwood before though, and he'll know what it takes to get promotion. I have reservations that his ceiling is League Two but we just need to focus on getting promotion here first.

It was 2016/17 which was quite a long time ago now. I've looked at their results. Similar start to us this season where they lost four times by mid-Sept. Lost once from 21st November until 20th Feb (a 2-5 battering at Fylde). Went on a six-straight winning run at the end of the season to make the play-offs. Best Ebbsfleet at home 4-2 and then Boreham Wood 2-1 in the final. Following season they were very inconsistant all season up to Feb (seems like W-D-L on a complete cycle) and then went on a seven straight wins to burst into the play-offs where they edged out Forest Green 2-1 and then Newport 1-0 in the final.

My takes from that is he needs time and patience to build it with a bunch of inconsistancy in the process. Whether he gets that from our supporters is my biggets concern.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Id go Darrell Clarke all day long. 

Good one.Quite a few good experienced candidates around who would love the abundance of strikers we have. 

Just glad Unsworth and Ebbrell have gone .

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Come on we may aswell get the ball rolling with this thread.

Any Suggestions?

my suggestion would be a lengthy, exhaustive recruitment and interview process which we aren't really in the ideal place to run.

Muzza and The Decent Right Foot Winger guy whose name escapes me at the moment as joint caretakers if they fancy it.

45 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Proper recruitment process,  let them apply and pick the best one. Someone who wants to be here and is impressive. Plus hopefully a track record of some sort of success with adult teams 

Previous success is no guarantee. ANYBODY after D.U will be an improvement but patience will be needed.Lets just see a settled team and  formation.Let the players play and let's start enjoying B.P. again.

Success WILL come with time. We've great owners who care so now we need players who care. We already have fans who care.

• Like 1

I’m not sure Mellon with his strong Tranmere past would get much time and patience here if he didn’t get off to a flyer.

Something about the Cowley’s says no for me, probably how horrible they were when we played them.

Darrell Clarke could be a good shout. Got Bristol Rovers and Port Vale up, and had a personal tragedy to deal with the year Vale went up, which is why I thought his sacking last year was particularly harsh.

Parkinson and Williamson should definitely be considered, but would both need time to adjust to the demands here and change our playing style, which they probably won’t get.

In short, I haven’t a fuckin’ clue!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

my suggestion would be a lengthy, exhaustive recruitment and interview process which we aren't really in the ideal place to run.

Muzza and The Decent Right Foot Winger guy whose name escapes me at the moment as joint caretakers if they fancy it.

Steve Thompson is interim for the time being. I’m sure Muzza will be assisting in a capacity 👍👍

Just now, Steve_R said:

I’m not sure Mellon with his strong Tranmere past would get much time and patience here if he didn’t get off to a flyer.

Something about the Cowley’s says no for me, probably how horrible they were when we played them.

Darrell Clarke could be a good shout. Got Bristol Rovers and Port Vale up, and had a personal tragedy to deal with the year Vale went up, which is why I thought his sacking last year was particularly harsh.

Parkinson and Williamson should definitely be considered, but would both need time to adjust to the demands here and change our playing style, which they probably won’t get.

In short, I haven’t a fuckin’ clue!

Yeah, that was an absolute tragedy losing his daughter in that way.

Like you say, who knows, maybe we get an absolute left side appointment that no one knew about…