The Next Oldham Manager

Those wanting Mellon and Cowley need to be prepared for a certain style of football, Mellon is straight as a die which I think our fanbase needs and some of the players he would inherit. He's an obvious choice and would probably come well recommended from Norwood who flourished under him.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No chance. Finish in play offs one season and midtable the next would be an absolute failure.

I'm not so sure.

The issue I had with the appeal for patience with Unsworth is that it was done in complete blind faith.  Not only was he unproven - he also didn't come with a particularly glowing reference from a number of sources.  We needed to be impressed.  We never were (alright, some were by the run from January...but it really wasn't that much different from what we'd seen before - just different results).

Someone gets us to the play-offs and then struggles the next season gets more patience, I reckon.  Show's he can do it and deserves another chance to get it right when things are going badly.

1 hour ago, Laticsenior said:

Sad to see personal comments and abuse towards DU on both message boards and social media. Well out of order IMO and after more than 50 years a Latics fan another new low for the club.

I just block all the foul mouthed ‘so called fans’ on X.

Not sure it’s ‘another new low’ for the club though… every club has them. 

33 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I cba to research - what's Darrell Clarke achieved? I know Vale won promotion from L2 on his watch but didn't he miss most of that season with long Covid?

I may have completely misremembered. 

Williamson for me anyway.

Wasn’t covid. He had a spell out on compassionate leave because his daughter passed away.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Those wanting Mellon and Cowley need to be prepared for a certain style of football, Mellon is straight as a die which I think our fanbase needs and some of the players he would inherit. He's an obvious choice and would probably come well recommended from Norwood who flourished under him.

lm prepared to accept it (😳) but l woouldnt go looking for it. 

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

imagine if l had rode in here on my Rhino started shoutin at people and tryna be clever n shit!!!

that actually would have been funny, ld defo have left it all available for all to see free to air without subscription

I give you one thing sir, you are a champion character!!👍

Just now, oafc1955 said:

You been away Monty? Sanity had returned to the board for a while’n it’s all gone do lally again!😂😂😂

a week l think. l do it semi regular for the sake of spam, bandwith and the mental health of all!

if ld have known he was gone l would have given it longer, but lm here now so..

shows l place more value in the views expressed here than most places else l suppose.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'm not so sure.

The issue I had with the appeal for patience with Unsworth is that it was done in complete blind faith.  Not only was he unproven - he also didn't come with a particularly glowing reference from a number of sources.  We needed to be impressed.  We never were (alright, some were by the run from January...but it really wasn't that much different from what we'd seen before - just different results).

Someone gets us to the play-offs and then struggles the next season gets more patience, I reckon.  Show's he can do it and deserves another chance to get it right when things are going badly.

To be fair, he did win league for Everton's development squad on a couple of occasions. The not-so-glowing references were rumblings on messageboards dissapointed that very few youth players made it into the senior squad. 

I do think the appointment was made for the right reasons. And his results for the second half of last season kept him in situ. I'm sure a run of bad form and a lower half finish would have been the end of his term last April but the turnaround. The 5-1 vs Aldershot also extended it for a few more weeks but recent performances and confusing team selection showed he ran out of rail.

I think the board have played it best they could as the majority of opinion swung in the last couple of weeks. At the end of last season most supporters were convinced he'd settled the ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

I cba to research - what's Darrell Clarke achieved? I know Vale won promotion from L2 on his watch but didn't he miss most of that season with long Covid?

I may have completely misremembered. 

Williamson for me anyway.

Promotion with Bristol Rovers.

Promotion with Port Vale.
All played with a brand of football that can be coined as "attacking". Plenty of goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

if ever there was a dressed up way to call somebody a twat then this is it.

luckily for me lno so its fine 🤣

Excellent response, I admit that sometimes I have to read your post a million times to find the point you are making.

I don’t think that of you sir, not at all.

At ease soldier!!’

😂👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

To be fair, he did win league for Everton's development squad on a couple of occasions. The not-so-glowing references were rumblings on messageboards dissapointed that very few youth players made it into the senior squad. 

I do think the appointment was made for the right reasons. And his results for the second half of last season kept him in situ. I'm sure a run of bad form and a lower half finish would have been the end of his term last April but the turnaround. The 5-1 vs Aldershot also extended it for a few more weeks but recent performances and confusing team selection showed he ran out of rail.

I think the board have played it best they could as the majority of opinion swung in the last couple of weeks. At the end of last season most supporters were convinced he'd settled the ship.

I mean it was a bit more than just rumblings on messageboards.  There were a couple of articles written out of which he didn't come well.  I also found it odd that despite having retired from playing over ten years ago and wanting a senior role, no one had ever taken a punt on him permanently.

I agree that it was an appointment made with the right intentions, though.

And the board played it as best they could, in reality.  I'd have sacked him well before, but I understand why they gave him as much time as they did.  There was no coming back from yesterday, though and whatever Frank said to the fans might have been the catalyst for things to really go downhill in terms of fan/club relations, but I think this should get things well back on track if the right appointment is made.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Probably his biggest achievement would be getting a tune, in fact a fanfare out of Ben Garrity.

If he can do that, he might be able to turn Shelton into the box-to-box midfielder Hartlepool fans said he was.

Bring him in!